Advertisement

Author Topic: Got a MacBook Pro (late 2007 model)  (Read 2673 times)

jbutton

Got a MacBook Pro (late 2007 model)
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »
Now I don't even miss the Lenovo Thinkpad.  I don't understand why Lenovo would put such cheap and bad quality monitors on the Thinkpad.  The MacBook Pro has really great screen.  The overall design of the MacBook Pro is just great.  It is not just a machine, but feels more like a piece of art.  Now looking to sell my Thinkpad.  But I will miss the track point on the Thinkpad.  Hate track pad.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

jbutton

Re: Got a MacBook Pro (late 2007 model)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
OK, the bad thing about it is that it is too hot..   The thinkpad has holes on the bottom and huge copper heat sink and a fan by the side.  This keep the thinkpad very cool even under heavy load.  The hot air blowing out through the heat sink feels like hot fair from the heater in the house.  Apple on the other hand sacrifice look with increase in heat.  There are no holes under the apple laptop and there's no visible heat sink anywhere.   I don't even know if it has a fan.  There holes between the laptop and the screen to let hot air out.. but surely here's no blowing hair air out like in the Thinkpad.  It's like a guy trying to look cool in the summer with a hot leather jacket on. 

ztommyx

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:26 PM »
i think that is normal...
my imac at work get a tad hot as well.

how much did you get for it? macbook pro's are quite expensive  :-\

jbutton

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »
i think that is normal...
my imac at work get a tad hot as well.

how much did you get for it? macbook pro's are quite expensive  :-\

My professor gave it to me when he bought one of the new macbook pro with i7 core.

7s87

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
That's what happens when you buy a Mac  :2funny:

ztommyx

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »
^^ nothing wrong with buying a mac laptop...

in fact, i prefer mac laptops/desktops over any pc laptop/desktop  8)

this is just going to be another mac vs. pc (i call it PC= piece of crap)  ;D

7s87

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:14:21 AM »
Mac = PC with an Apple logo.  :idiot2:

jbutton

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
It's so hot that if you don't wear pants, don't put it on your laptop.  It will burn you.

ztommyx

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:06:17 AM »
Mac = PC with an Apple logo.  :idiot2:

when did this happen?

you're referring to intel based macs?  ;D

It's so hot that if you don't wear pants, don't put it on your laptop.  It will burn you.

still normal. i've had pc laptop that gets hot enough to warm my laps  :)

Someone

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »

I use to do repair on Mac Desktop and labtop.  Mac Book Pro has a heating issue along with the fact that it drains the battery.

Right now, the only Mac I'd ever buy is their LCD.

jbutton

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

I use to do repair on Mac Desktop and labtop.  Mac Book Pro has a heating issue along with the fact that it drains the battery.

Right now, the only Mac I'd ever buy is their LCD.

yes, they are hot hot.  I don't know if it has to do with their aluminum casing.. that thing sure conducts heat really really well.  That means the case of the laptop gets so hot you can't even put your hands on it for 30 seconds.  When I play game, I turn the fan on to 6 rpm and it is still very hot.  Hot I mean 140 F.

Sifu

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:30:51 PM »
Jbutton,
There is an older app for controlling the fan speed for the crapbook that really helps keep the temps down (SMC Fan Control).  There's NO way I would ever bootcamp without it; you're just asking for a fried legacy board...

As much as I've enjoyed my crapbook pro I'll probably never buy one again.  Beautiful, sleek, light and some nice lil' trinkets (light up pad, logo, remote, etc) it's just way too overpriced for me (got it at a 30% discount).  And yes it does have an amazing screen (which is why I use it as my media server).

jbutton

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »
I triple boot my macbook: mac os 10.6, Windows 7 and Ubuntu.  I just love Ubuntu.  But I do use Windows 7 to play Far Cry 2.  I might use Mac os X to learn about iphone app development.  But most of my work are done on Ubuntu.  It's so hard to live without the terminal.  Compiz is make Linux desktop light years ahead of Mac os X. 

By the way, I love the macbook pro's body.  It's beautiful but yes it is hot.  Aluminum conducts heats very well indeed.

Sifu

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:04:16 PM »
Well I'm not sure if you know how SMC works but if you boot into Mac OSX, adjust the rpm of the fan and reboot into your other OS it should retain the settings.  Annoying yes but it's worked for me and it's free.  Anytime you shut off the laptop you gotta' do it all over again.

jbutton

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
Well I'm not sure if you know how SMC works but if you boot into Mac OSX, adjust the rpm of the fan and reboot into your other OS it should retain the settings.  Annoying yes but it's worked for me and it's free.  Anytime you shut off the laptop you gotta' do it all over again.

There is a peice of software that lets you control the fan speed. It helps cool down the machine but it is still pretty hot to the touch.   

Advertisements