Advertisement

Author Topic: Do any of you pay insurance for your iphone/droid?  (Read 4835 times)

zena

Do any of you pay insurance for your iphone/droid?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
Do you think it's worth it?

My husband and I pay for ours through Best Buys 'cause we got our Galaxy SII there.  It's about $20 per month.  We do everything else through the T-Mobile store.  I'm not sure if we needed to do the insurance thing but we tend to literally drop our phones accidentally.  Husband had dropped his a few times.  Luckily, we have the protected cases on them and his has not cracked or broke yet.  Even though we have the protection plan and the cases, I'm still pretty careful about my phone because I keep thinking if I do break it, it will be h.ell to get it replaced. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

couchpotato

Re: Do any of you pay insurance for your iphone/droid?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
No. I have the same exact phone as you and I have accidently flung my phone across my room without it breaking. I bought my phone in Taiwan. Any time I had any problems with it I simply brought it in to their service center to get fixed. I never once had to pay a fee. The only time I ever saw anyone needing to pay a fee when was when a guy brought in his Samsung Note with a badly cracked screen. They said it would cost about $20 to get it replaced.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:17:49 AM »
Naw, if it breaks, I just buy a new one.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

supadupac

Do any of you pay insurance for your iphone/droid?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »
I do the same as ThePoster

zena

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
So you guys are willing to pay another $500+ for your androids/iphones if you lose it or it gets stolen?

buster_me

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »
$20 a month, wow just for insurance on obsolete tech. By the time its on the market there is already a new version of the phone hyping up with few changes making the current version look bad already. I say save the $20 each month

Eyedumgai

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
$20 a month is not worth it. Sam's Club offers SquareTrade for $99 one-time payment up-front. It covers 2 years from date of purchase--accidental damages and spills. If you keep your phone in working condition by the time 2 years is up, they will buy back the phone for up to 20% of the original retail value of the phone (in your case, about $650 original retail).

The best value on phone insurance I've ever seen.

ah_choo

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
I pay $14 each month for my LG Google GX just incase something happens to the phone, i will be cover and i dont have to re-paid for another.

yes, it is worth it for me.

zena

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
$20 a month, wow just for insurance on obsolete tech. By the time its on the market there is already a new version of the phone hyping up with few changes making the current version look bad already. I say save the $20 each month

The $20 per month is for 2 phones (husband's and mine)...so $9.99 for each phone (I just rounded).  I just learned that Best Buy's insurance does not cover lost or stolen so now I am thinking of switching.  I read that my home/car insurance company might also have insurance for phones (personal stuff of value) so I'm going to look into that.  If they cover lost or stolen as well, I might just have to switch.

$20 a month is not worth it. Sam's Club offers SquareTrade for $99 one-time payment up-front. It covers 2 years from date of purchase--accidental damages and spills. If you keep your phone in working condition by the time 2 years is up, they will buy back the phone for up to 20% of the original retail value of the phone (in your case, about $650 original retail).

The best value on phone insurance I've ever seen.

That sounds good.  I'm not a Sam's Club member.  I have Costco and they have good deals too (we normally get our phones there) but we got our Galaxy SII's at Best Buys because they had a deal at $50 per phone and Costco didn't at the time + Best Buy's was willing to wait until our plan expired and still give us the deal...which was about a month's wait. 

At the time, each phone was $180 with contract at Costco and $200+ elsewhere with contract so we thought Best Buy's was a good deal, and thus, also got the insurance.

I pay $14 each month for my LG Google GX just incase something happens to the phone, i will be cover and i dont have to re-paid for another.

yes, it is worth it for me.

I am with ya.  I think for an expensive phone it's worth it.  Even though we got ours for $50 each, if anything goes wrong, and we are not insured, we'd have to pay a lot and I don't think I'd want to take that chance.

nraughmoobmuas

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:03:11 AM »
Paying monthly charges for device insurance, especially those that you know will quickly phased out in less than a year is a waste of money.

You don't get brand new but refurbished devices even after you fulfilled the deductible, anyway.

Take good care of your phone then you would never need to lose $240 on insurance for a phone.

yajmafia

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:29 AM »
Yes, I pay $10/month through Verizon.  Covers everything.. even if I drop it in the toilet.  I think there is a deductible though.

nraughmoobmuas

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
Deductible is 25% of your phone's retail price.

Eyedumgai

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
The $20 per month is for 2 phones (husband's and mine)...so $9.99 for each phone (I just rounded).  I just learned that Best Buy's insurance does not cover lost or stolen so now I am thinking of switching.  I read that my home/car insurance company might also have insurance for phones (personal stuff of value) so I'm going to look into that.  If they cover lost or stolen as well, I might just have to switch.

That sounds good.  I'm not a Sam's Club member.  I have Costco and they have good deals too (we normally get our phones there) but we got our Galaxy SII's at Best Buys because they had a deal at $50 per phone and Costco didn't at the time + Best Buy's was willing to wait until our plan expired and still give us the deal...which was about a month's wait. 

At the time, each phone was $180 with contract at Costco and $200+ elsewhere with contract so we thought Best Buy's was a good deal, and thus, also got the insurance.

I am with ya.  I think for an expensive phone it's worth it.  Even though we got ours for $50 each, if anything goes wrong, and we are not insured, we'd have to pay a lot and I don't think I'd want to take that chance.

No worries. If you like your plan, it's cool. I'm just saying that if you did the math, $9.99 for 2 years is more than $99. And that's not including the deductible, in which case, Sam's Squaretrade is only $49 for any smart phone. In total, your cost is $149 and no more.

While it doesn't cover lost or stolen, it does offer an iPad-like GPS location service through its web site that will help you find your unit. Just like an iPad, just because you can track it down doesn't guarantee you'll get it back in working condition (in which case, you'd use the claim to get a replacement phone). Did I mention buyback if you decide to sell it back to ST?

I think Best Buy has Squaretrade too, but they are a bit more expensive than the Costco/Sam's version. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:24:54 AM by Eyedumgai »

zena

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
It's worth it if you're prone to dropping/losing it. My niece is on my account and I get her insurance. I also have insurance on my phone too. I do a lot of hacking on my phone, so if ever I "break" it, I can get a replacement as long as I pay the deductible. My niece on the other hand, definitely needs it. She's lost her phone once, and dropped it into the toilet twice just in the past two years. Definitely worth it for her. For me, probably not.

I C.  It makes sense.  My daughter likes to take my phone away and play Movie Star Planet when we are out and about and she's bored.  I didn't want to put that app on my phone but until we get her an iPad or something, I'll have to let her.

Paying monthly charges for device insurance, especially those that you know will quickly phased out in less than a year is a waste of money.

You don't get brand new but refurbished devices even after you fulfilled the deductible, anyway.

Take good care of your phone then you would never need to lose $240 on insurance for a phone.

Before we got androids, we had the previous phones from Samsung and we didn't have insurance on them.  Husband's phone broke six months before our contract ended.  He ended up just getting a $50 refurbished flip phone to use for the time being.

So, you're saying that even with our androids insured and we break it, we'd have a pretty big deductible to deal with to replace?  Doesn't make sense.  With our Best Buy plan we don't have to pay anything for a replacement, but like I mentioned earlier, they don't cover lost or stolen.

If the deductible was 25% of our phones, I would not have bought the insurance.

We baby our phones like you would not believe but sometimes accidents happen.  :)

Yes, I pay $10/month through Verizon.  Covers everything.. even if I drop it in the toilet.  I think there is a deductible though.

Not bad.  O0

No worries. If you like your plan, it's cool. I'm just saying that if you did the math, $9.99 for 2 years is more than $99. And that's not including the deductible, in which case, Sam's Squaretrade is only $49 for any smart phone. In total, your cost is $149 and no more.

While it doesn't cover lost or stolen, it does offer an iPad-like GPS location service through its web site that will help you find your unit. Just like an iPad, just because you can track it down doesn't guarantee you'll get it back in working condition (in which case, you'd use the claim to get a replacement phone). Did I mention buyback if you decide to sell it back to ST?

I think Best Buy has Squaretrade too, but they are a bit more expensive than the Costco/Sam's version. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

Yes, I like my plan.  My point wasn't that I was looking into switching plans.  I don't plan to switch and when/if I get a new phone in the future, it might be another discount like the one I got or it'll be through Costco. I'm just curious if others have their phones insured.

I'm surprised that not too many people have insurance.  Phones these days costs so much now so it would make sense to have them insured.  I guess if you got your phone cheap/was a gift/or you stole it, then insuring it probably didn't cross your mind. J/W thoughts.

Json

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:19 PM »
10 bucks  month regardless what happens to my phone its replace  I dont even have a case  i got insurance for a reason.  Galaxy S3

Advertisements