Advertisement

Author Topic: HD setup  (Read 1375 times)

bruisedknee

HD setup
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »
a few years ago, i recalled the concept of partitioning from decades-old IS classes i took way back when

since then, i've always partioned my main HD into 2 logical drives

the first holds the OS and is usually 30-50 gigs

the second is for storage

and obviously extra HDs are also storage

this helps me should i have to reformat the OS, at least my data is safe, unless i've caught a virus that can travel between partitions...w hich i've never gotten...uh, yeah, right, never...
------------

lately, i've been wanting to try a 40gig SSD for the OS, and my regular HDs for storage

anyone have this current HD setup?  and if yes, does having the OS on a SSD make a noticeable diff in processing speed and/or efficiency?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Eyedumgai

Re: HD setup
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »
Yes, yes, and yes.

Windows will load faster than ever before. It will respond faster than ever before. You will have more room to store pRon.

The best method right now, if you're going to buy just a small SSD, is to use it with Smart Response, or SSD caching. But you'll have to get a Z68 for that.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:18:52 PM by Eyedumgai »

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
Unfortunately,

*sigh* yes.  A friend at my office has their PC configured similar to what you're planning to do.  There's only good things to say about SSHD.  With no moving parts, data allocation and retrieval is very fast.  Your Winblows machine will almost run as fast as a Mac. 

Eyedumgai

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
Unfortunately,

*sigh* yes.  A friend at my office has their PC configured similar to what you're planning to do.  There's only good things to say about SSHD.  With no moving parts, data allocation and retrieval is very fast.  Your Winblows machine will almost run as fast as a Mac.  

Just think of how much fastesterest the new macs with SSDs would run! OMG, the thought is just mind-boggling! It's almost like going faster than the speed of light. Which, until recently, was thought to be impossible! Everything is possible with Macs, though!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:15:47 PM by Eyedumgai »

Advertisements