Advertisement

Author Topic: Sad when you need to wear alarm for protection just because you look different  (Read 552 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
 :idiot2::

People with albinism issued with protective alarms in Malawi

On a sunny February day, Catherine Amidu looked downcast. The protective alarm she received in October had not been working for close to two weeks, she said.

The 17-year-old with albinism survived an attempt on her life in 2017 when unknown attackers whisked her from her Malawi home in the middle of the night but quickly abandoned her when villagers intervened.

She now sees the new keychain-like alarm as the best way to alert others in case of another attack. “Without it, it means I don’t have protection at all,” she said. “What will I do when the people return to finish what they started?”

People with albinism in several African countries live in fear of being abducted and killed because of the widespread but mistaken belief that their body parts carry special powers. Because of the superstition surrounding people with albinism, their body parts can be sold for thousands of dollars.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
What can you say? It's hard to believe that it still happens. In those parts of the world, people are still very uneducated and will do harm onto others that are different.

I think we don't need to look that far, even in our own backyards we still have hate groups in this country.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
Yep, hate based solely on skin color happens here as well ..which why I encourage people to stand up to non-legit hate like that...

Advertisements