Advertisement

Author Topic: Network Admins/Contractors  (Read 5360 times)

Sapphire Moon

Network Admins/Contractors
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:13:14 AM »
Hi,

I just leased two facility for my new business and need to get a ball park of what it'll cost me to hire a contractor. I want to get a general idea so that I can make a proper offer.  I'm looking to hire a contractor who will be the lead to set up systems and network/security for both facility, as well as to provide long term ongoing support and network maintenance on an as need bases (performing backups, installing patches..etc).  One facility will be local, and the other will be about 45 to an hour drive away.  You'll be spending an equal amount of time in both facility so please take commuting time into consideration.

At the moment, there are 13 users (more will be hire in the new future). It'll be a mixed environment of laptop and desktop, so I would need both facilities to have secured wireless connectivity when their in either facility, and VPN capability when they're off site.  Network security is crucial, so I'll need this contractor to be highly experience in setting up firewall and policies.

I will also be hiring 9 additional contractors (1 project lead, and 8 of her staff).
For the lead, she will have a laptop, but desktop for all of her staff.  These contractors will be on site with limited access.

There will be a total of 3 network printers.  2 at the local facility, and 1 at the remote facility.

All users will have either double of tri monitors.  The Cad designer (1) will have quad monitors.  All users will either be provided with iPhones or Blackberrys, so I would need this contractor to install/configure apps for each users so that the staff can send/receive work emails on their device.

I will be purchasing all equipments specified by the contractor, so only calculate the cost of labor, time & travel.
Please give me a total estimate for the initial setup/installation, and another estimate for ongoing support once the setup is complete and whether the ongoing support should be pay by the hour or month, whichever is most cost effective.

Your feed backs are appreciated and please do not hesitate to ask if you need any addition info.  If you can also give me an ETA on how long it can take for the initial setup, I'd appreciate that too. :)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:25:26 AM by Sapphire Moon »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

NytWolf

Re: Network Admins/Contractors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
I'm unclear what you want the contractor to do.

Do you want him/her to run wires?  Set up the network and server?  Set up wireless?  Set up firewall?  Set up computers?  There isn't one contractor who will do all what you're asking, but there are firms that will subcontract it out.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
I have a contractor to run wires already.  What I need is someone to come in and setup the network and server, including wireless and firewall, computers, etc.

NytWolf

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
I have a contractor to run wires already.  What I need is someone to come in and setup the network and server, including wireless and firewall, computers, etc.
A contractor who will set up servers and the network will not likely want to work on the computers.  So consider a 3rd contractor.

The contractor who will set up the computers will be relatively cheaper, but take a longer time.  The cost for this contractor will run anywhere between $2000 to $6000 per site, depending on how clean you want your workstations to be, and should take no more than one week.  This does not include cost of the computer equipment obviously.

The network administrator will take no more than a couple hours per site, but should cost you under $10,000, depending on type of routers and firewalls you have and what type of communications you want between your two sites.

For an ongoing administrator, look to spend about $150 and up on a per-hour basis or half that under a contract term.

NytWolf

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
As for equipment:
1) you're looking at between $2000 to $6000 per workstation,
2) about $1500 to $3000 per server,
3) $5000 per router,
4) $2500 per switch,
5) $100 for wireless router.

I highly recommend no wireless, however, for speed and security reasons.

jetter

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
What is your budget?   Which route do you want to go down, a small mom and pop shop setup? A small business setup? A medium business setup?

Depending on your budget, there are different solutions and different cost associating with your contractors.

Let us know.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
The reason for wireless is because I'll be having multiple contractors who will be coming in and out from time to time to work on projects for me (using their own laptop) and I want to be able to offer them the option access from anywhere within the facility.

As for equipment:
1) you're looking at between $2000 to $6000 per workstation,
2) about $1500 to $3000 per server,
3) $5000 per router,
4) $2500 per switch,
5) $100 for wireless router.

I highly recommend no wireless, however, for speed and security reasons.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »
At the moment, it's a small to medium size business.  I've budget 50k to 75k for equipments and hired service.

What is your budget?   Which route do you want to go down, a small mom and pop shop setup? A small business setup? A medium business setup?

Depending on your budget, there are different solutions and different cost associating with your contractors.

Let us know.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 03:43:31 PM »
Nothing has been set in stone, hence the question I'm asking here.  If you feel that I've under budget than propose one. :)

I think you under budget.  How are you going to pay somebody to service you with only that kind of budget?  You are looking at consultants to give you a turnkey solution.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:48:19 PM by Sapphire Moon »

NytWolf

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
At the moment, it's a small to medium size business.  I've budget 50k to 75k for equipments and hired service.

You will be dry before you reach a year.  $100k for upfront costs only -- that is, to put in the equipment to get to operational status.

intel

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
Whoa, you've set aside a lot of money just to set up a network.

This is a lot simpler than it looks, you can even do this yourself it you wanted to.  Everything nowadays is just plug and play.  You just gotta connect what you want to where you want.  You major concern would be to set up your network via software.

My best advice is to do some research for yourself to determine if you even need how-many-so contractors.

jetter

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
Cost of Labor:
This will depend on who you hire as a contractor.  If you find; let say someone without a certificate like @sun says but knows what they are doing then you will save some money on that.  The best thing is to post your requirements and see what you get in response.  With this economy, I bet you can/should be able to find a lot of good candidates for this project.  I also bet you can find contractors that will cost you roughly $40+/hrs to do the job for you.

Cost of Time
It depends on how good the contractor is, with the things you suggested in your original post, assuming you already have all the software/hardware and the 2 facilities are roughly 45mins apart, a good contractor could easily finish this in about 2 weeks or less.

Cost of Travel
The contractor should know how to roll out your project and should not travel more than a couple of times to/from each facilities to set this up since most of the things could be done remotely once a few key elements are in place.

Hope this helps a bit and if you want to save even more money as your business grows, there are other options besides the Microsoft and cisco routes.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 07:09:10 AM »
Thank you everyone for your response.  O0

I have a few friends who wants to do this for me, but they won't talk money with me, so this has given me a ball park of what to offer.

Sapphire Moon

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »
So last night, I put out my project to a few local network solution businesses and I just received a bid for the job.  This company has been in business for 15 years and provide everything from network Integration, design, service, repair and support services, business telephone systems, to even data network cabling services, no matter how small or large my project is.  All of their certified techs/engineers are in house so they don't  sub-contract.  They have special contracts with HP and Dell so they gave me an even better deal on hardware than if I was to go through HP or Dell directly. This morning, one of their Engineer came out to the facilities. He did a walk through of the facility with me. After that, we sat down while he drew up a design and place his bid on the project....Eve rything from data cabling, to Hardware (desktop/laptop/server/printer...etc), setting up the network and workstations.. ..It'll cost me 38k, saving me half of my budget.  Not only that, they will be providing me and my staffs ongoing 24/7 support, monitoring of my network remotely and coming out to the facilities at least once a month to verify, check logs and run test restore for only $500 a month, and they certify all of their work.  

That's a HUGE saving compared to what I thought I would be spending.  I'm so excited!  ;D

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:41:23 PM by Sapphire Moon »

jetter

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
that's great news but before you jump on board, is there anyway you can talk to a few of their client about their turn around time when something goes wrong?  Does it cost you more if you want to speak to a higher tech than the one answering the phone?  How knowledgeable are the staff besides the one you met because most likely you will not see those first contact individuals after the initial sales and setup.

Advertisements