Advertisement

Author Topic: how does a core i7 feels like?  (Read 6633 times)

jbutton

how does a core i7 feels like?
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:25:52 PM »
I"m curious.  Is the user experience any different from a core 2 due 2.2?  Do you feel applications and menu are more responsive? 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

the_almighty

Re: how does a core i7 feels like?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
Yes, beyond belief.

jbutton

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
Yes, beyond belief.

Are you sure?  Is it worth the money?  My professor just got his MacBook Pro with Core i7.  He said he didn't notice any difference between it and his old MacBook Pro with a 2.2 Ghz core 2 duo.  It would be nice if the user interface is snappier.. everything is zippier.  But it seems you only benefits when running CPU intensive applications.

HF Beats

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
of course you can feel the different.

2 due 2.2

is only running at 2.2 and 2.2 which is 4.4

i7 core 2.2

is running at 2.2 + 2.2+2.2=6.6

there a big different.

jetter

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
I think if he swaps his hd for a solidstate hd like I did, he will surely notice the speed difference. 

kouasupra

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
Here's my setup:

HD:
Photos: 300gb WD raptor 10K RPM  
Music: 300gb WD Raptor 10K RPM
Everything else: 1TB seagate
Everything else++: 1TB seagate

Processor: intel [email protected] overclocked at 3.6
RAM: 12GB Corsair 8-8-8
Etc, etc....

In conclusion: It's very fast for what it's use for. "photography" The boot up time is around 30 second from the time I push the start button. Multi-tasking is fast and it doesn't freeze up. I'm waiting for the SSD to come down on price for a larger space capacity.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:09:53 AM by kouasupra »

kouasupra

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 01:09:12 AM »
Are you sure?  Is it worth the money?  My professor just got his MacBook Pro with Core i7.  He said he didn't notice any difference between it and his old MacBook Pro with a 2.2 Ghz core 2 duo.  It would be nice if the user interface is snappier.. everything is zippier.  But it seems you only benefits when running CPU intensive applications.

Your professor needs a SSD to make it faster. Usually or most of the time the HD is the bottleneck of the problem. Most of the time the processor is just waiting for the HD to sent the information.

Awesome

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
it feels like it dig deeper into the pocket than the core 2 duo.

N`Chync

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
Here's my setup:

HD:

Etc, etc....

In conclusion: It's very fast for what it's use for. "photography" The boot up time is around 30 second from the time I push the start button. Multi-tasking is fast and it doesn't freeze up. I'm waiting for the SSD to come down on price for a larger space capacity.

wow nice

Gutts

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
I'm sure it feels like the other CPU's.  Hard, flat, with lots of pins at the bottom of them.

beester

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
Unless you are doing any movie converting or editing, then I don't really think you will notice much. Saving a few seconds here and there is nothing much. With movie conversion, you can use the graphics cards to do that job and that is way faster than the cpu. So there really is nothing much gained other than your bank account being smaller. Don't get me wrong, if I had money to burn, I'd get one. Just that I'd rather get a system that will be good enough for me and save the money for other stuff like a TV or bigger monitor.

jbutton

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
Unless you are doing any movie converting or editing, then I don't really think you will notice much. Saving a few seconds here and there is nothing much. With movie conversion, you can use the graphics cards to do that job and that is way faster than the cpu. So there really is nothing much gained other than your bank account being smaller. Don't get me wrong, if I had money to burn, I'd get one. Just that I'd rather get a system that will be good enough for me and save the money for other stuff like a TV or bigger monitor.

That's what I thought..

The mac interface is sure slow..  I'm so used to faster interface from Linux..  In fact, if you compile your own linux kernel, you can specific the kernel to be more responsive to user interface making your interface very very responsive.  In fact, probably too responsive that you don't want it anymore.  :)

HmongVampire

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Here's my setup:

HD:

Etc, etc....

very nice setup u got there sir O0 . esp the idea of using the SSD to install/boot the OS/programs and using the sata drives to store data.

don't forget to get your computer in "performance mode" and tweak msconfig, elminates all that un-necessary animations/bootup shiet. it'll make ur computer run even faster.

wat kind of i7 2.6 processor do u have? 920? 750?

i wanna build a gaming/multimedia PC with the 980x since u can overclock it to 3.8GHz or possibly 4.0GHz. will need some serious cooling power to keep that baby under control :-\ . i think the fastest over-clocking done on the 980x so far is 6.0 GHz  :o but need to do more research first before bying. do u know is it worth it? over-rated? i'm too lazy to google it  :2funny:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:39:54 AM by HmongVampire »

HmongVampire

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Your professor needs a SSD to make it faster. Usually or most of the time the HD is the bottleneck of the problem. Most of the time the processor is just waiting for the HD to sent the information.

yep. the computer will only run AS FAST as the SLOWEST component.

beester

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
very nice setup u got there sir O0 . esp the idea of using the SSD to install/boot the OS/programs and using the sata drives to store data.

don't forget to get your computer in "performance mode" and tweak msconfig, elminates all that un-necessary animations/bootup shiet. it'll make ur computer run even faster.

wat kind of i7 2.6 processor do u have? 920? 750?

i wanna build a gaming/multimedia PC with the 980x since u can overclock it to 3.8GHz or possibly 4.0GHz. will need some serious cooling power to keep that baby under control :-\ . i think the fastest over-clocking done on the 980x so far is 6.0 GHz  :o but need to do more research first before bying. do u know is it worth it? over-rated? i'm too lazy to google it  :2funny:

Any processor over $300 is not worth getting in terms of price vs performance. You get very little for all that extra money. You are paying 3-4 times the price, but are not even getting 2 times the performance boost. If you have the money though, then it's all for bragging rights. You may be able to save seconds maybe even minutes from some tasks, but it's up to you to figure out if it is worth the price premium.

Advertisements