Advertisement

Author Topic: Desktop won't reboot, gives 20 seconds beep  (Read 3297 times)

Toumeng

Desktop won't reboot, gives 20 seconds beep
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:10:06 AM »
When I press the start button, it just gives a long 20 seconds beep in 10-12 seconds intervals. It's a HP a6300f model.

Any suggestion what I should look? Thanks in advance.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Toumeng

Re: Desktop won't reboot, gives 20 seconds beep
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »
Tried all the suggestions on that page. Still getting the same beeping sound.  :'(

vangst

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
Disconnect your power cord and try disconnecting and re-connecting all the connectors to your board.
For instance, media card readers, psu connector, ide/sata connectors, and etc.

Rockstargenes

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
Disconnect your power cord and try disconnecting and re-connecting all the connectors to your board.
For instance, media card readers, psu connector, ide/sata connectors, and etc.

this is one way to go.

I have another Suggestion ruling out these device by disconnecting them and going to bare minimal instead.  bare minimal would be motherboard CPU, Ram and power.  See if beeps Codes changes when you power on machine.  if it doesn't than don't bother troubleshootin g with the componant/device for now.  troubleshot with just the bare minimal.

Toumeng

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'll try disconnect/reconnect everything and see how it goes. One thing I noticed so far is when I removed the RAM and restart without the RAM in place, it gives a different beep pattern. Could the RAM be bad?

Rockstargenes

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I'll try disconnect/reconnect everything and see how it goes. One thing I noticed so far is when I removed the RAM and restart without the RAM in place, it gives a different beep pattern. Could the RAM be bad?

that should be normal when you take out ram and try to power on.  the Beeps codes should be 3 Beeps.

obscurity

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
sorry bit late for this but if possible, find the beep codes, it'll tell you what the problem is

Toumeng

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »
sorry bit late for this but if possible, find the beep codes, it'll tell you what the problem is

I looked up all the beep codes and none of them is similar to the beep pattern I'm getting (20 second beep in 12 second intervals). If someone can look it up and give me any pointer, your help is much appreciated.  :'(

HP Bios Beep Codes

I have the Phoenix BIOS.

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:35:40 PM »
Here are my suggestions:

1.  If you have a serial keyboard or mouse attached, disconnect them both and replace it with a usb keyboard and/or mouse and vice versa (replace usb with serial)

2.  If you can get into bios, reset everything back to default settings and try rebooting again

3.  If step 2 above don't work, take out the little watch battery somewhere on the motherboard to re-set everything back to default

Did you add/replace any hardware to the computer prior to this error ?

Rockstargenes

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:49:28 PM »
Make Sure you unplug power cable Before taking Bios ( watch ) battery out. but before that, take system to bare minimal.  Disconnect anything that does not need to connected For a Proper POST. Meaning CD, HARD DRIVE, ADD IN CARDS such as Modem or NIC.  if they are intergrated onboard that fines, leave it. 
Where you wanna be just power, motherboard, RAM,  CPU and Video card if it's not onboard Video.  if you still Get those beep codes, Then take graphics card if it's added in.  other wise if it's on board you are looking at Bad motherboard or CPU.

Toumeng

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:38:58 AM »
Thanks fellas. Did everything you guys suggested but still getting the same beep sound. My guess is the motherboard is bad.

So what kind of replacement mobo would fit into this junk? Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Here's the link to the specs.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01287561&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=3644689

Motherboard:

• Manufacturer: Foxconn
  • Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)
  • Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
  • Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
  • Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
  • Processor socket: 775
  • Expansion Slots:
        *      1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
        *      2 PCI Express x1 slots
        *      1 PCI slot

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile

yang_k_vue

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
It's not just the beeping you should be focusing on but also the led on your mobo. Open up your desktop and see if you can identify an led. When you power on the beep should also cause the led to display two characters like "EF" or whatever. But, not every mobo has this feature so you need to check. If it does you need to pull out your mobo's manual and check to see what that error relates to. There's too many things that can go wrong and that would be the quickest way of fixing your desktop.

Offline TijLaugHmoob

• Sr. Poster
  • Keep my eyes on you...!
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile

Advertisements