Advertisement

Author Topic: The true Hmong Myth behind "Zaj hav dej"  (Read 48049 times)

Spooki

Re: The true Hmong Myth behind "Zaj hav dej"
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
Zaj are supposed to be spirit form and they take your spirit without you even knowing.  In physical form your body is drowned so that the living believes you drown.  If and when a living human is able to see with sight of the dragon it is because that dragon is weak and has weaken or dying and the magic it has drained.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »
Hehe
I got story, this took place in china. There are pix and a link, i'll try to get tat site from the landury mat. On rice street in st. paul. This is a hmong washing place. Anyways there was this lake, and ppl kept drowing when ppl go swiming. Long story short, so many ppl drowning, and the chinese were scare cuz this was a popular swiming place. Ao the chinese drained the lake and found a huge huge cat fish. I ran into that photo when I was washing my stuff there. Any one seen that photo. Or read the artcial.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:27:31 AM by saki saki »

Fishhead

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
Before anything Thai gov going to drain any lake with that many people die in it. They have to go throught
the buddha thingy first. Thai gov doesn't just drain thing out of no where like that. Thai people
believe in craps like that as much as Hmong people. Look at all the thai important buildings, they all
had dragon protecting it, including the king castle.

I do heard Hmong rumor that there's such lake like that some where in Chiengmai. The water is very pure and clear, before a prince become a king he has to go to the lake and drink some water and use the water to wash his face from that lake. What do I know it has been proved by HmongKinght story already.

Fishhead

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:46 AM »
Some ppl FAIL, big time, unless you youreslf had ever encoutered ppl dorwning. You'll only want to
believe in what you wanna heard. Zaj has many forms, I guess that the 3 eel wasn't perpare for
that. Therefore couldn't go hiding. And got caught.
Knight, was there a mention on how big these eel were?
Or were they just commonly big like the lenght of my legs from hip to toes. Which is about 3-4 ft.
I'm 5"5ft.
I've encouter ppl drowning here in MN. There is a famous lake here about ppl drowning, mostly
hmong ppl. ]/b]

There's a reason why the chinese folks doing drangon boat festival every year at that lake too. Why
would they choose that lake when there's bigger lake out there. Another section of that lake with connect
to a bigger lake is where the home is. That lake is the front door of the spirits around that area there.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:38 AM »
Some ppl FAIL, big time, unless you youreslf had ever encoutered ppl dorwning. You'll only want to
believe in what you wanna heard. Zaj has many forms, I guess that the 3 eel wasn't perpare for
that. Therefore couldn't go hiding. And got caught.
Knight, was there a mention on how big these eel were?
Or were they just commonly big like the lenght of my legs from hip to toes. Which is about 3-4 ft.
I'm 5"5ft.
I've encouter ppl drowning here in MN. There is a famous lake here about ppl drowning, mostly
hmong ppl. ]/b]

There's a reason why the chinese folks doing drangon boat festival every year at that lake too. Why
would they choose that lake when there's bigger lake out there. Another section of that lake with connect
to a bigger lake is where the home is. That lake is the front door of the spirits around that area there.
Wow I never knew that, I knew that they do that boat thingy over there. I just learnd something new
Tx. Fish head
+1 for you

HmongKnight

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
There are many reasons why a person drown and die from lakes and rivers. Most of the time is due to the lack of swimming skills. But what I talked about above is about grown men and women that are very good at swimming. When there are several good swimmers die from a lake or river, we have to look deep inside the lake or river and see what we find. In the cast I mentioned above is a case where they found electric eels inside the lake. Other cases may be due to different reasons.

There was a lake in southern california where several teenagers have drown and died. The reason for the drowning are based on couple of things. First of all, the lake is way too cold in the middle. Even if the temperature is 100 degrees in the city, the middle of the lake's temperature is about 20-30 degrees. Some of them die of heart frozen or something. Secondly, in the middle of the lake has thingly weeds. Most dead teenagers probable got panics when their feet got tangled by the weeds and lost air breathe and drown. Lastly, the lake is a still lake and it does not have little waves to push you abroad. If you're not a good swimmer it's kinda hard to swim to shore because water molecules tend to hold onto you unless you're a good swimmer and break that kinda water draggings.

The bottom line is, don't blame every death at lakes or rivers because of different forms of Dragons.. NO such thing as ZAJ.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »
I got story, this took place in china. There are pix and a link, i'll try to get tat site from the landury mat. On rice street in st. paul. This is a hmong washing place. Anyways there was this lake, and ppl kept drowing when ppl go swiming. Long story short, so many ppl drowning, and the chinese were scare cuz this was a popular swiming place. Ao the chinese drained the lake and found a huge huge cat fish. I ran into that photo when I was washing my stuff there. Any one seen that photo. Or read the artcial.

So, the cat fish ate the Hmong swimmers?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
How do you explain Phalen Lake's takings of pairs of toddlers every time? There have been at least 3 cases like that in the last two decades at Lake Phalen in St. Paul.

Similarly, MN's records show that Lake Phalen and Foster Arendt Lake  (Rochester) have drowned people the most. Both of these lakes are man-made lakes, not natural lakes. Any explanations on that?

There are many reasons why a person drown and die from lakes and rivers. Most of the time is due to the lack of swimming skills. But what I talked about above is about grown men and women that are very good at swimming. When there are several good swimmers die from a lake or river, we have to look deep inside the lake or river and see what we find. In the cast I mentioned above is a case where they found electric eels inside the lake. Other cases may be due to different reasons.

There was a lake in southern california where several teenagers have drown and died. The reason for the drowning are based on couple of things. First of all, the lake is way too cold in the middle. Even if the temperature is 100 degrees in the city, the middle of the lake's temperature is about 20-30 degrees. Some of them die of heart frozen or something. Secondly, in the middle of the lake has thingly weeds. Most dead teenagers probable got panics when their feet got tangled by the weeds and lost air breathe and drown. Lastly, the lake is a still lake and it does not have little waves to push you abroad. If you're not a good swimmer it's kinda hard to swim to shore because water molecules tend to hold onto you unless you're a good swimmer and break that kinda water draggings.

The bottom line is, don't blame every death at lakes or rivers because of different forms of Dragons.. NO such thing as ZAJ.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
I wouldn't drink from a place where people have drowned in. What do those princes believe in anyway?

Before anything Thai gov going to drain any lake with that many people die in it. They have to go throught
the buddha thingy first. Thai gov doesn't just drain thing out of no where like that. Thai people
believe in craps like that as much as Hmong people. Look at all the thai important buildings, they all
had dragon protecting it, including the king castle.

I do heard Hmong rumor that there's such lake like that some where in Chiengmai. The water is very pure and clear, before a prince become a king he has to go to the lake and drink some water and use the water to wash his face from that lake. What do I know it has been proved by HmongKinght story already.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
No official pics No care  ;D

How do you get a picture of a Zaj?

OK. Let me take that back. Here's one:

We Hmong believe that this is an image of a Zaj rising up to drink water. One end of the rainbow is its tail; the other is its head. It's stretching across the mountain to drink water. There's usually drizzling at such times. Many people who have been at the tail end of it often see a crab with bubbles popping from its mouth, too.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:34:09 PM by Reporter »

"...

HmongKnight

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
How do you explain Phalen Lake's takings of pairs of toddlers every time? There have been at least 3 cases like that in the last two decades at Lake Phalen in St. Paul.

Similarly, MN's records show that Lake Phalen and Foster Arendt Lake  (Rochester) have drowned people the most. Both of these lakes are man-made lakes, not natural lakes. Any explanations on that?

#1 answer, todlers can't swim.
#2 answer, When a kid is drown, he/she tend to pull the closest person along with it.
#3 answer, many part of phaelem lake are very deep and steep along the cliff. When a person is too close to the edge, he/she might fall into the lake.

HmongKnight

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 04:03:16 PM »
We Hmong believe that this is an image of a Zaj rising up to drink water. One end of the rainbow is its tail; the other is its head. It's stretching across the mountain to drink water. There's usually drizzling at such times. Many people who have been at the tail end of it often see a crab with bubbles popping from its mouth, too.

Have you guys ever chase after a rainbow? if you never did, you should try one time and see if you notice anything different. As for my experience,  I was driving home one day and saw a huge rainbow straight ahead of me, about 10 miles away. I drove the next 30 miles and the rainbow still looks 10 miles ahead of me. After another 30 miles on my drive then the rainbow start to fade away and disappear. If anyone can go to the head or tail of a rainbow and the rainbow doesn't move ahead of him/her, that person is a liar or crazy.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 04:16:40 PM »
Have you guys ever chase after a rainbow? if you never did, you should try one time and see if you notice anything different. As for my experience,  I was driving home one day and saw a huge rainbow straight ahead of me, about 10 miles away. I drove the next 30 miles and the rainbow still looks 10 miles ahead of me. After another 30 miles on my drive then the rainbow start to fade away and disappear. If anyone can go to the head or tail of a rainbow and the rainbow doesn't move ahead of him/her, that person is a liar or crazy.

Back in Laos, when I was still a toddler, we would walk right under the rainbow. There was a huge abyss on the side of the road. One of the rainbow's tips rose right from that hole and stretched across the hills to the other side. There was a bit of sun shine and some drizzling. But we walked right under it and quickly rushed down the hill away from it. We didn't want it to curl around and  collect us into the abyss.  We covered ourselves with banana leaves so that it would not see us. Elders said umbrellas were best to be under, too. But in my case we didn't have umbrellas with us.

What you are describing is probably the sun or moon that seems to be just right on the rim of the mountain. That's how it looks like to the elders today and back 30 years ago. That's why during the lunar eclipse, they  thought a monster is devouring the moon. In Laos, they used to shoot at the moon at such times--thinking their bullets had that range.  ;D

NOTE: I don't believe the rainbow pictures are actually Zaj shadows, by the way. Dragons don't really want people to know where they are.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:19:27 PM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
#1 answer, todlers can't swim.
#2 answer, When a kid is drown, he/she tend to pull the closest person along with it.
#3 answer, many part of phaelem lake are very deep and steep along the cliff. When a person is too close to the edge, he/she might fall into the lake.

I'm talking about each pair successfully drowning every time. Why would Phalen take two at a time, that is? And these kids weren't holding onto one another. they were just drowned separately within yards from their other siblings within seconds of each other. They were also siblings each time, I believe.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:48:28 PM by Reporter »

"...

Advertisements