Advertisement

Author Topic: question about computer crash  (Read 1186 times)

No regret

question about computer crash
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
...my computer had been rebooting by itself lately due to system error then today It finally crashed and freezed up everything on the screen including my mouse pointer.  I had to pulled the plug and restarted it again that way.

My question is, once a computer starts crashing like that, does it mean it's going to get worst and it's going to keep on happening?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

obscurity

Re: question about computer crash
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
if no virus found then possible hard drive crashing

No regret

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
if no virus found then possible hard drive crashing

Hard drive crashing is just an occasional thing then right?

six

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »
From your description, it's not your hard drive.  There's a 80% chance of it being your systemboard.  20% chance it being your CPU.  Tiny chance that it can be memory or powersupply.

obscurity

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
From your description, it's not your hard drive.  There's a 80% chance of it being your systemboard.  20% chance it being your CPU.  Tiny chance that it can be memory or powersupply.

not true.  hard drive freeze/pauses/crashes gives the same symptom, esp if it has the pagefile on that hard drive. 

if you haven't virus scan yet, do so if you already did and you're clean. 

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip  download burn into cd, boot with disc, run the memtest to test your ram, it will take a while but let it complete.

for hard drive test, find out what manufaturer your hard drive make is, and download the appropriate program

for cpu you'd use something like http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 (get 64bit version if you have 64bit operating system) and run then burn test, if your computer crashes could be cpu problem

six

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Depending on your operating system....go to c:\windows\minidump OR c:\winnt\memory.dmp and copy the DMP files.  Zip it and upload it to megaupload.com .  Send me the link to your files, and I'll tell you exactly what's going on.

Advertisements