Advertisement

Author Topic: Bill Gates Changes The World Again  (Read 1964 times)

obscurity

Bill Gates Changes The World Again
« on: November 06, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2011/11/02/the-second-coming-of-bill-gates/

In many ways that’s the point. Gates’ clipped manner in discussing the children he and his wife met in India and Africa (“Melinda and I spend time with these kids, and we see that they’re suffering; they’re dying”) disappears when the underlying numbers come up, his speech getting more rapid, his voice ever higher. “A 23-cent vaccine,” he says, “and you’ll never get measles,” a disease that “at its peak was killing about a million and a half a year; it’s down below 300,000.” Gates rattles off milestones in the history of global health and the prices of vaccines down to the penny, but blanks on the name of one of his favorite vaccine heroes, John Enders, the late Nobel laureate, or Joe Cohen, a key inventor of the new malaria vaccine Gates helped bankroll.

It’s heady, historic stuff: America’s richest man—he’d be the world’s richest had he not already given away so much money—still in his prime (he just turned 56), with the reputation, resources and determination to stamp out infectious disease. “I’d be deeply disappointed,” says Gates, if in the next 25 years he can’t lower the death toll by 80%. Otherwise, “we’re just not doing our job very well.”

wish other billionairs would do this too

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

tetrapod

Re: Bill Gates Changes The World Again
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
The next problem is how to feed the world.

obscurity

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
The next problem is how to feed the world.

i think the real problem is trying to get all the rich people in the world to actually do something about it

Peachy Fish

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Gates is a sort of philanthropist for sure, but somethings I feel like he doesn't research thoroughly before trying to act upon it (i.e. he wanted to create a device to stop hurricanes from happening. Hurricanes are Earth's way of stabilizing it's temperature, so the repercussions would be huge if he one day accomplishes this.)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:46:40 AM by Peachy Fish »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:48 AM »
Gates is a sort of philanthropist for sure, but somethings I feel like he doesn't research thoroughly before trying to act upon it (i.e. he wanted to created a device to stop hurricanes from happening. Hurricanes are Earth's way of stabilizing it's temperature, so the repercussions would be huge if he one day accomplishes this.)

Right, like what's famine and disease?  Its the way to control population growth.  Start saving too many people and you'll have a crowded earth, then what?  Guess he'll have to start building tall sky scrapers to house the poor and sick, that would start costing him way too much money, I'm sure he wouldn't go for that.

IF he starts buidling cities and etc and etc, guess what?  Crime and poverty will surface agian!

haha Oh wells.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

obscurity

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
do something good, get criticize, be anal retentive and run your company like hitler and get praise and awards for stuff you've never done  :2funny:

Peachy Fish

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
do something good, get criticize, be anal retentive and run your company like hitler and get praise and awards for stuff you've never done  :2funny:

Lol. That's true, but we have to remember, good for whom? Good for how long?, etc.

obscurity

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
any attempt i think its better then no attempt.  its like the people who go protest but refuse to go help at soup kitchen etc

obscurity

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
As much of a good thing they do for poor/disadvantage children, I still firmly believe that this is nothing more than publicity and diverting attention from uncle Sam for their own benefit.  Sad but it is true.
why would the richest man in the world care to divert attention? well technicallly would be richest if he didn't donate most of his money

Advertisements