Advertisement

Author Topic: iPad: What's your pros and cons?  (Read 8682 times)

zena

Re: iPad: What's your pros and cons?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
I have had an iPad I. Not big on apps. It was too slow compared to my MacBook. (I'm not very patient). It annoyed me, waiting for a page to load. I barely used it so I gave it to my lil bro n sis.... Since then, they've DL'ed a bunch of apps on it and jalibroke it. Home WiFi works fast, but I'm never home so it didn't suit me.

Good to know.  Thanks.

iPad is awesome, I use it as a big ole gps when I'm flying and it has all the charts I need.  My kid loves playing math games, she can add and spell words at 4 years old because of using the apps.

bob

Isn't it cool that young kids are so tech savvy these days?  Must be neat to see a big map of wherever you're going.

It would be nice to have super muncher on it.

Don't know what that is.

We should be receiving ours today.  I'm very excited. 

It's a lot fun to use.  It's much easier to peruse than on an iphone or ipod touch.  The speaker is pretty amazing as well. Facetime streams good and apps boot up pretty fast.  I haven't tested out the 3G just yet or even a data plan but I don't think I'll need it anytime soon.

By the way, has anyone tried syncing a bluetooth keyboard or even a mouse to it? 

Are you trying to make me jealous or what?  I want to get one and here you are with yours already.   ::)   ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 11:03:29 AM »
moon,

It's a long time away from the release of the ipad 3.  Hence, the purchase of this one.  And yes, I was a bit skeptical at first but I kid you not, it's convenient.  That aluminum case is the same one they use for the macbooks, so they can take a little bit of roughness.  It's a lot easier to type on the ipad than on the ipod.  No doubt there.  I was watching netflix the other day and I have to admit, it's the perfect size and the battery lasts a long time too. 

The cheapest I saw was on amazon.  No shipping/handling cost (depending upon where you buy) but most importantly, NO tax! 

zena

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
moon,

It's a long time away from the release of the ipad 3.  Hence, the purchase of this one.  And yes, I was a bit skeptical at first but I kid you not, it's convenient.  That aluminum case is the same one they use for the macbooks, so they can take a little bit of roughness.  It's a lot easier to type on the ipad than on the ipod.  No doubt there.  I was watching netflix the other day and I have to admit, it's the perfect size and the battery lasts a long time too. 

The cheapest I saw was on amazon.  No shipping/handling cost (depending upon where you buy) but most importantly, NO tax! 

You make it so tempting.  I might have to get one sooner then expected.  When I get one, it'll probably be from the Apple store.  I like to touch and play and make sure I really really want it before actually plunking down the $$.

I heard Ipad 3 was coming out next year?  Must not be true then...damn it...if Steve Job was alive, his tyrannical style woulda made a moutain move for Ipad3.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I love the guy, but he's also a flamboyant, cocky, SOB.  That's why we love him too... :2funny:

Geniuses are the most flawed.  If he was nice and sweet, I don't think he'd gotten as far as he did.

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
i'm still more interested in a decent laptop for the price of an ipad.. :)

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

N`Chync

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
What did you use it for?

What's nice about it?  I've never used an iPad before but I think having that large screen when I'm chillin on the deck or watching tv with the family to do some work stuff might be nice.

iPads are great for multimedia purposes like watching videos and reading. apps just making everything easier to use like instead of waiting for a page to load there could be a app for it that loads way faster. i don't have one but i always play with my uncles or friends. i usually check to see how everything i have on my smartphones work on the iPad and they do a good/better job at it. the iPad isn't a laptop so u can't compare. with that said a iPad isn't complicated like a true laptop so that means it just gets to the point. it doesn't have flash but don't let that bother you. if you're not on a computer flash sucks anyways. the more you play with it the more you figure what you like doing on it. i wouldn't mind getting one but i don't need a device at that size. i use my smartphones when i'm away from my computer. kids and old people are quite fond of the iPad due to it's ease of use.

zena

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »
i'm still more interested in a decent laptop for the price of an ipad.. :)

Doesn't Dell and HP have decent laptops?

iPads are great for multimedia purposes like watching videos and reading. apps just making everything easier to use like instead of waiting for a page to load there could be a app for it that loads way faster. i don't have one but i always play with my uncles or friends. i usually check to see how everything i have on my smartphones work on the iPad and they do a good/better job at it. the iPad isn't a laptop so u can't compare. with that said a iPad isn't complicated like a true laptop so that means it just gets to the point. it doesn't have flash but don't let that bother you. if you're not on a computer flash sucks anyways. the more you play with it the more you figure what you like doing on it. i wouldn't mind getting one but i don't need a device at that size. i use my smartphones when i'm away from my computer. kids and old people are quite fond of the iPad due to it's ease of use.

You calling me old? LOL!  I know my kids will love it so that's one of my bigger reasons to want one (and maybe two).

N`Chync

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Doesn't Dell and HP have decent laptops?

You calling me old? LOL!  I know my kids will love it so that's one of my bigger reasons to want one (and maybe two).

LoL no. iPads are also great for those who are tech savvy. so that means kids, old people, people in between. back in the day i got my parents normal mp3 players and they always had questions about it. switched them to iPods and they easily understood how to use them. my dad would wear his headphones around the house, funny cuz he use to yell at us kids when we was younger for blasting our music like that lol. my mom asked me if she should get a iPad. i told her yea cuz it'll fit her needs but i told her it wasn't gonna replace her laptop. my mom got a laptop and still wants a iPad or a smartphone since she sees how handy they come in. she's a insurance saleswoman and she's in school for nursing. being busy like that she likes how iPads and good smartphones have the battery life to last.

zena

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 09:09:31 PM »
LoL no. iPads are also great for those who are tech savvy. so that means kids, old people, people in between. back in the day i got my parents normal mp3 players and they always had questions about it. switched them to iPods and they easily understood how to use them. my dad would wear his headphones around the house, funny cuz he use to yell at us kids when we was younger for blasting our music like that lol. my mom asked me if she should get a iPad. i told her yea cuz it'll fit her needs but i told her it wasn't gonna replace her laptop. my mom got a laptop and still wants a iPad or a smartphone since she sees how handy they come in. she's a insurance saleswoman and she's in school for nursing. being busy like that she likes how iPads and good smartphones have the battery life to last.

I like the battery life.  :)

kyrie_eleison

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
moonangel,

You know, I have a macbook air (which I'm typing on presently) that I work with also.  It's just as convenient and it's a real computer too.  The ipad is very nice but still, very limited.  I'm not trying to sell you on anything but there's no doubt, the ipad is no substitute for a laptop.  Although, if you have the money, it's worth the investment.  Seriously, be patient and buy the ipad on amazon.com.  Try it out at the apple store but save your tax dollars and buy it online.  d

August Night

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »
I am thinking of getting one and am curious about what you think about them.  I heard that the iPad has the most apps available out there and that's one reason why I'd like one.  I really don't know what else I would use it for except to surf the web and take up more of my time.  

The ipad is wonderful!!!   Steve Jobs was wrong about it being so simple a 2-yr old can use it.  My son was a year old when he started using the ipad.  It's now HIS ipad... kekeke.  It's like preschool at the tip of his fingers.  However, he still plays with his toys and blocks to develop his motor skills.  (okay, that was just for the ppl pfttt'ing me while reading... hehehe)

Moon, I have the original ipad, no camera, no 3G, but has wifi... but it works great!!  There are thousands of apps that are so much fun to play with.  Trust me, I'm like every other person out there with no real use for an ipad.  Surfing the web, playing games, watching videos, listening to music, etc.... that's basically what I do with mine.  So many apps you forget you have them most of the time... hehehe.  However, when I actually do need it for work, all my documents have been downloaded in one neat place for me.

My husband has the ipad2.  He actually uses his for work AND play.  He can make calls from his, use the camera for facetime, he has apps that he uses for work purposes.  He can connect to his work to check on the network with a touch of a button wherever he is.  He can design his network infrastructure and keep it all secure.  He does a lot more with his, but I only know the gist of what he does anyway.  Then he has all the fun apps as well.  

If you are in the market for an ipad, I suggest getting an ipad2.  It's just more fun for what we would use it for.  Seriously, there's an app for everything.  Thing is... most of us don't know what we can really use it for and, really, have no use for it... so it's just an expensive toy.

Since my son took over my ipad, I use my iphone 4.  It does pretty much everything the ipad2 does, just a smaller screen.  My husband has the iphone 4s and Siri is becoming his new girlfriend... hehehehe.

Anyway.... those are my pros.  I can't think of any cons other than that there are lots of other options for what we actually use it for.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:27:15 PM by August Night »

obscurity

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
Did you guys know that the CPU on the Ipad was used on Jet Fighters?  The company was acquired by Apple for that technology only?

sources? or is this more pr bs like ps3 used to launch nuclear weapons of mass destruction by terrorist

other then that moon since your a mac user, i think you'll like the ipad quite a bit, especially since you dont have to turn on your computer every time to browse the internet etc, do non work productive stuff

zena

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:56 PM »
moonangel,

You know, I have a macbook air (which I'm typing on presently) that I work with also.  It's just as convenient and it's a real computer too.  The ipad is very nice but still, very limited.  I'm not trying to sell you on anything but there's no doubt, the ipad is no substitute for a laptop.  Although, if you have the money, it's worth the investment.  Seriously, be patient and buy the ipad on amazon.com.  Try it out at the apple store but save your tax dollars and buy it online.  d

kyrie, I'm not substituting.  For my work station (at home), I'm actually debating if I should go with a mac mini or imac for all the graphic art/photography I do.  I've been a mac user for a long time.  I've just recently wanted an ipad for when I'm out and about or bored.  Also, my two girls would love to use the ipad when I am doing stuff on my macbook until we upgrade their computer.

I'll have to really think about Amazon.  I'm hesitant 'cause I've purchased quite a few things from there and have had a couple of bad experiences. I really only go there if I can't get it from anywhere else.

The ipad is wonderful!!!   Steve Jobs was wrong about it being so simple a 2-yr old can use it.  My son was a year old when he started using the ipad.  It's now HIS ipad... kekeke.  It's like preschool at the tip of his fingers.  However, he still plays with his toys and blocks to develop his motor skills.  (okay, that was just for the ppl pfttt'ing me while reading... hehehe)

Moon, I have the original ipad, no camera, no 3G, but has wifi... but it works great!!  There are thousands of apps that are so much fun to play with.  Trust me, I'm like every other person out there with no real use for an ipad.  Surfing the web, playing games, watching videos, listening to music, etc.... that's basically what I do with mine.  So many apps you forget you have them most of the time... hehehe.  However, when I actually do need it for work, all my documents have been downloaded in one neat place for me.

My husband has the ipad2.  He actually uses his for work AND play.  He can make calls from his, use the camera for facetime, he has apps that he uses for work purposes.  He can connect to his work to check on the network with a touch of a button wherever he is.  He can design his network infrastructure and keep it all secure.  He does a lot more with his, but I only know the gist of what he does anyway.  Then he has all the fun apps as well.  

If you are in the market for an ipad, I suggest getting an ipad2.  It's just more fun for what we would use it for.  Seriously, there's an app for everything.  Thing is... most of us don't know what we can really use it for and, really, have no use for it... so it's just an expensive toy.

Since my son took over my ipad, I use my iphone 4.  It does pretty much everything the ipad2 does, just a smaller screen.  My husband has the iphone 4s and Siri is becoming his new girlfriend... hehehehe.

Anyway.... those are my pros.  I can't think of any cons other than that there are lots of other options for what we actually use it for.

Thanks, August Night.  It's seriously amazing how kids know how to use these things.  I know my girls will love using it.  No cons? LOL!  That's even better!

sources? or is this more pr bs like ps3 used to launch nuclear weapons of mass destruction by terrorist

other then that moon since your a mac user, i think you'll like the ipad quite a bit, especially since you dont have to turn on your computer every time to browse the internet etc, do non work productive stuff

obscurity, i think I will like it.  I especially like that I can take it places.  I currently don't turn on/off my mac unless I'm going somewhere for a few days so that's never been an issue.  :)

zena

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
Sorry guys, back to the original topic.  ;D

So, I went to Costco yesterday and FELL IN LOVE with the Nikon CoolPix P500.  OMG.  I have to have this.  More than the iPad.  So, I guess the iPad will have to wait.  I can do so much more things I want to do with the CoolPix than the iPad.  I am just dying to use that flip screen + I can carry this point-and-shoot everywhere!  It's not as bulky as my DSLR.

petsdraw

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
con: you'll join the ranks of apple tools

zena

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
Ah yes...looks like a compromise between a DSLR and a Point and Shoot.  I like the upto .4" macro...but I saw some review that auto-focus only works at 4".  Time to shell out the Best Buy points again...hrm...

Not really.  My DSLR still rules and will rule forever.  ;D

con: you'll join the ranks of apple tools

LOL!  I really don't like all things Apple.  I like things that work the way I need them to and I'll buy things that will benefit me more.  For instance right now, I'll go for the Nikon CoolPix P500 over the ipad.  I also like Canon's flip LCD too (not sure of the name but saw it in Costco mag and almost went crazy but didn't have the time to read further).  If the Canon one does a lot more than CoolPix, I'll get that instead. 

Advertisements