Advertisement

Author Topic: The universe...  (Read 9071 times)

Evil_K_Man

The universe...
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
Its amazing how much we know about the universe and how little as well.  It makes you wonder what or who else is out there.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

evil-in-deed

Re: The universe...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
awesome... i implore everyone to get the pocket universe app if they can...

ever wonder if you can flatten the whole universe into a sheet, would it be a bunch of planets/stars/etc with no empty space... or would it be like a poky dot like sheet?... hurmmmm...

or if you can travel at the speed of light... what would you see?... a bunch of atoms standing still or all white?... hurmmmm...

Xyooj96

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:32 AM »
Its amazing how much we know about the universe and how little as well.  It makes you wonder what or who else is out there.

ever heard a theory that our world is created by our minds?
similar to the saying that does a fallen tree make a sound if no one is there?  ::)

Roc

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
Seen this pic?

From philosophy class, if I remember right, the tree making a sound thing has something to do with existentialism . Can't remember much about it though since I slept through most of that class (still passed with a B!). I remember the most correct answer was no it does not because sound is how we interpret airwaves and without someone to interpret then it doesn't exist. It's like how you were saying that we make the universe around us.

I saw a commercial for a special on discovery channel about the universe and some of the new hypotheses and ideas about it. Something about our reality not being what we believe it is and how 3D is made up by our brains to make life easier. Interesting stuff.

tetrapod

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:06 PM »
We just need more time to understand the universe.  Instead of spending money on killing each other in the name of wars, we could spend money on space travel.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »
We just need more time to understand the universe.  Instead of spending money on killing each other in the name of wars, we could spend money on space travel.

I know, there is still so much to learn and so much to explore, yet we focus our resources on trivial matters...

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »

ever heard a theory that our world is created by our minds?

Yeah one time, but it was from a crazy bum that sits in front of the transit station.  Aside from being crazy, hes nice to the people who walk by.

Peachy Fish

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
I agree. I love learning about the universe, even though I know I'll probably never ever have the capability to contribute any science back to it.

Xyooj96

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 04:56:27 PM »
my theory has always been that quantum mechanics theory and general relativity theory will converge. at that converged reference point, the universe size depends on which direction you're viewing :)

Seen this pic?

From philosophy class, if I remember right, the tree making a sound thing has something to do with existentialism . Can't remember much about it though since I slept through most of that class (still passed with a B!). I remember the most correct answer was no it does not because sound is how we interpret airwaves and without someone to interpret then it doesn't exist. It's like how you were saying that we make the universe around us.

I saw a commercial for a special on discovery channel about the universe and some of the new hypotheses and ideas about it. Something about our reality not being what we believe it is and how 3D is made up by our brains to make life easier. Interesting stuff.

prima_donna

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

Likewise, what keeps things rotating together is gravity.  We barely understand that too.

You'll be surprised there are alot of studies done wtih Earths gravitation. Earth has a gravitational force of 9.8 m/s. How this number was derived you can plug numbers for Newton's Law of Univesal Gravitation. In fact if you know the mass of any planet/moon then you can find any number to the gravitation pull on which ever planet. Our moon has a gravitational force of approxiamtion 1.63 m/s. Thus astrounants can literal bounce on the moon because the gravitational force on the moon is smaller than gravitational force on earth.

prima_donna

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 04:11:24 AM »
Theres prolly theories out there. Just that we cant do testing in a large scale manner. So our understanding of the physical universe is very limited. My guess is larger mass exerts an attractive force on smaller mass. Just how the moon is attracted to Earth yet far enough to orbit around out planet. And look at how big Jupiter is and it has    a few more moon than ours.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
But why does this occur is unexplainable. ..it can only be observed.  Similar can be said about magnetism too.  Unlocking how these forces work will create a new way of looking at our Universe.

I remember my professor saying the same thing...there's still so much to learn about our universe.

Xyooj96

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
You'll be surprised there are alot of studies done wtih Earths gravitation. Earth has a gravitational force of 9.8 m/s. How this number was derived you can plug numbers for Newton's Law of Univesal Gravitation. In fact if you know the mass of any planet/moon then you can find any number to the gravitation pull on which ever planet. Our moon has a gravitational force of approxiamtion 1.63 m/s. Thus astrounants can literal bounce on the moon because the gravitational force on the moon is smaller than gravitational force on earth.

isn't it "9.81 m/s" or "9.81 m/s/s" ....i don't remember about the prior though :D

so what is gravity, does it has any mass or is its mass invisible?

prima_donna

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
isn't it "9.81 m/s" or "9.81 m/s/s" ....i don't remember about the prior though :D

so what is gravity, does it has any mass or is its mass invisible?

I can never understand the units. (m/s/s)

Gravity has no mass. You're not suppose to think of it as an object. It has no shape. It's a physical force that pulls our weight towards the center of the earth.

Xyooj96

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
I can never understand the units. (m/s/s)

Gravity has no mass. You're not suppose to think of it as an object. It has no shape. It's a physical force that pulls our weight towards the center of the earth.

m/s/s means meter per second per second, which is the instantaneous velocity of a moving object. with regard to gravity, it means the closer you are to the earth's surface the faster you move towards it.

gravity has no mass that our human equipment cannot precisely detect, but over 90% of the universe is dark matter. the concept or general relativity is that gravity change the curvature of space-time. objects with strong gravity field change space-time; there was an experiment which gotten einstein his nobel prize, which shown that the sun's light is bend as it travel to earth.

Advertisements