Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the difference between a modem and a router?  (Read 11601 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
What is the difference between a modem and a router?
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
I am trying to sign up for an internet and I asked the sales rep if the account comes with a modem or some kind of wireless accessory so that I could connect my home computer with my work computer within 10 miles apart. She said "..it comes with a modem. You can pick up a router to make it wireless..."

What does she mean? What are those two things: modem and router?

Yeah, I'm a novice.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:10:47 PM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

JimmyNeutron

Re: What is the difference between a modem and a router?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:10:16 PM by JimmyNeutron »

Midnight_Reflection

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
Jimmy explained everything up there 4 u Reporter, but if you're still confuse, I'll help make it easier...

Modem

Router

Offline slude

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
reporter,

in a nutshell,

a modem is an internet box that connects to your phone line. you connect your pc (hardwire) to the modem to get the internet.

a router is a box that connects to the modem so you don't have to hardwire to the modem to get internet. the router is the wireless bridge between your pc and the modem.

advice, go buy a two-in-one box; modem and router.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
So, three replies and I know everything:

Phone jack/line<-->1 Modem<-->1 WAN port<-->1 Router<-->1 LAN port<-->many devices into many jacks on the LAN port or router.

There are two-in-one modem/router combos. Wow!

Looks like I'm going to need the net provider to sell me the modem to connect to the internet. Then the rest will be my choice whether to expand to more devices or to try to access office from home.

I'll get the modem first and show you guys the picture on here so I know whether to pay for a router, too, or not. Stores have those 30-day trial or return policies. If I make a mistake, I'll return what I've bought within a week or so.

Thanks, Jimmy, Midnight and slude.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:28:00 PM by Reporter »

"...

tubyaj

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
Eh...if you are going with Comcast (cable)...the all-in-one Zoom 5350 works pretty good. Modem/Router with wireless and a few ports for wired connections... ..Bestbuy stocks them....or save a few bucks from Amazon or the like. ;D

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
Eh...if you are going with Comcast (cable)...the all-in-one Zoom 5350 works pretty good. Modem/Router with wireless and a few ports for wired connections... ..Bestbuy stocks them....or save a few bucks from Amazon or the like. ;D

So, you are saying I can get a modem separately without buying it from the internet provider like Comcast, Qwest or Pop communications and the like?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:10:28 PM »
1) Does all account come with a modem?  Yes.  You have to lease or buy.

2) Can you connect home to office?  No.  Qwest or Comcast only sell internet connection and does not provide IT administration so you can access your files at work or home.  Buy a laptop; it's cheaper.  You can try PCAnywhere to attempt to do it...but if you just needed file hosting, then the easiest way is to send your files to gmail or obtain network space using FTP.

Sounds like I'm going to have to buy internet service for office and then separately buy internet service for home, too, then, right? Paying for two internet services for one person's use...haha...m akes sense but not so economical.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
Narrowing down to Comcast and Qwest. Qwest provides up to 12 megabits of net service for a reasonable price. Comcast can go up much higher, like 40 megabits or something for a reasonable price.  I wonder if 12 megabits would be enough for my purpose. I want to google, sometimes access youtube videos, and also just do emails and use a legal research database and a legal software for case filings. Nothing fancy. Maybe the youtube videos might need more megabits?

"...

tubyaj

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
So, you are saying I can get a modem separately without buying it from the internet provider like Comcast, Qwest or Pop communications and the like?

Yes.  Make sure it's an approved device aka one that will work with the service.

tubyaj

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
Narrowing down to Comcast and Qwest. Qwest provides up to 12 megabits of net service for a reasonable price. Comcast can go up much higher, like 40 megabits or something for a reasonable price.  I wonder if 12 megabits would be enough for my purpose. I want to google, sometimes access youtube videos, and also just do emails and use a legal research database and a legal software for case filings. Nothing fancy. Maybe the youtube videos might need more megabits?

12 mbps is going to be plenty for what you are doing (assuming you just have no more than a few computers connected).  However, if the cost is roughly the same it may be easier for you to go with the vendor that can grow with you just in case you require more bandwidth in the future.

tubyaj

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
I am trying to sign up for an internet and I asked the sales rep if the account comes with a modem or some kind of wireless accessory so that I could connect my home computer with my work computer within 10 miles apart. She said "..it comes with Thanks.

I noticed you are looking to connect your home and work PCs.  You could invest about $1,000 on the proper hardware and do a site-to-site vpn between your home and office.  You will need static IPs on both ends (will probably need to pay $20-$30 more per connection), two Cisco ASA 5505 applicances ($400/each), and two cheap modems (<$100 each).  This is if you need full time site-to-site connectivity.. .if not there are a variety of ways, depending on your needs and requirements.

tubyaj

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
But he's just doing simple office document.  Can't he just pay $6 per user + office 365 software and an internet connection?

Sure he can if that will meet is business needs....he could even go as far as using Google Docs...it's free...up to a point.  Also, if he wants to ge real cheap just purchase a data plan with tethering and use it to hop to the internet when at home or work.... ;D

Peachy Fish

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »
Our ASUS router just came in yesterday and we placed it in already, so now I can now go 150mbps (my laptop's max) compared to 60mbps before. His laptop can now go 300mbps.  :D

tubyaj

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
Our ASUS router just came in yesterday and we placed it in already, so now I can now go 150mbps (my laptop's max) compared to 60mbps before. His laptop can now go 300mbps.  :D

Is that to the internet? If so, too bad PH is probably throttled to just a few kbps per connection. ;D

Advertisements