Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the difference between a modem and a router?  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: What is the difference between a modem and a router?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

Click on the above link.

1) Click on FREE DOWNLOAD and follow the installation.
2) Make sure to install Ghostscript and converter too.
3) When you print next time, select CUTEPDF instead of your normal printer and it will convert to PDF.

The alternative to this is to buy ADOBE Professional which can cut and paste, import and export PDF to word and back and forth.  Not necessary if you need PDF for ensuring record safe.  If you truly need SECURITY, you may have to buy Adobe professional which allows you to digital imprint...so again depends on what you need.

NOTE: FYI...PDF encryption scheme was broken a while back so it's really not that secure anyways...what is secure these days right?  But again, PDF is usually accepted as a record...it takes some knowledge outside the normal to do so.

Dowloading that isn't going to jam up my computer, is it? Like making it slower?  And, no, I don't want to have to buy ADOBE Professional for my work at this point. Maybe in the future. But what I do now, any type of PDF will do.

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
Reporter,

I do not recommend any application I do not personally use ;)  It's installed on all my computers.

There is no malware, no adware, etc..., just good wholesome application to print a word document into PDF.

OK. Thanks. I'm convinced that it's trustworthy.

Now, if I do the portable internet via Comcast, will I get similar speed as I would if I got a stationary kind of service?

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
I don't know what portable internet is.  Sorry.  ???

I thought there is a chip or something that you take with you and you just put it on your computer and you get wireless service anywhere. That's what I mean by portable. Isn't there something like that?

"...

JimmyNeutron

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:11:44 PM by JimmyNeutron »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
Yes, I think that's what I meant. I have never used them before, just heard about them. When 8v10oun30sun said to do the $60.00 ISP from Comcast, these came to mind.

I might be better off getting some landline or cable then. Thanks.

author=JimmyNeutron link=topic=269683.msg3703585#msg3703585 date=1326937093]
Are you talking about one of these?

This is what I have and use.  It'sa 4G USB modem that I can plug into my laptop and get internet access almost anywhere.

It's great, but no, it won't be as fast as your home/office internet and there's a 2GByte data limit.  Anything above that, and it cost extra $$$.
[/quote]

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
I've looked at a few providers and also thought much about all of your suggestions on here. I finally came down to Comcast. Final installation was today! But after activation installation, my printer no longer can receive prints from our computers that never had problems sending prints to this printer before.  Comcast says the printer has to be re-configured but that Comcast isn't an expert on that. lol...maybe I should change to a different expert.

But for now the speed is 29.89 mbps for downloading and 12.75 mbps for uploading. Good enough?

Thanks to all of your suggestions. Comcast's rep will return to see that all cables are connected to see if the printer may receive print orders. If that works, I'll stick with Comcast for the next 3 years. I'm sick and tired of slow speeds and so I want a provider that's reliable so that I won't have to worry about just getting the computers to work one way or another. I want to focus my attention on other issues in my business, e.g. expanding, etc.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:06:19 PM by Reporter »

"...

tsiehta_goy_vuk

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
I've looked at a few providers and also thought much about all of your suggestions on here. I finally came down to Comcast. Final installation was today! But after activation installation, my printer no longer can receive prints from our computers that never had problems sending prints to this printer before.  Comcast says the printer has to be re-configured but that Comcast isn't an expert on that. lol...maybe I should change to a different expert.

But for now the speed is 29.89 mbps for downloading and 12.75 mbps for uploading. Good enough?

Thanks to all of your suggestions. Comcast's rep will return to see that all cables are connected to see if the printer may receive print orders. If that works, I'll stick with Comcast for the next 3 years. I'm sick and tired of slow speeds and so I want a provider that's reliable so that I won't have to worry about just getting the computers to work one way or another. I want to focus my attention on other issues in my business, e.g. expanding, etc.

You may need to re-install your printer.  If you used DSL before, the configuration is a bit different.  Because the internet got turned off and you have no service provider and the router assigned new ip address.  Your printer most likely got a new ip address and it can't communicate with your computer due to that.  So all you need to do is uninstall and reinstall and you are good to go or in some cases, you just got find out what the ip address of the printer is, go into your computer and change the ip address of the the printer configuration.  Good Luck.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »
You may need to re-install your printer.  If you used DSL before, the configuration is a bit different.  Because the internet got turned off and you have no service provider and the router assigned new ip address.  Your printer most likely got a new ip address and it can't communicate with your computer due to that.  So all you need to do is uninstall and reinstall and you are good to go or in some cases, you just got find out what the ip address of the printer is, go into your computer and change the ip address of the the printer configuration.  Good Luck.

That's what happened. The internet got turned off and then turned back on again after Comcast activated its connections or something.

Thanks. I'll try to see if I can uninstall the printer.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:10:27 AM by Reporter »

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »
I've been able to uninstall the printer.

Thank you, all! I have Comcast running now. It's not as fast. But should be ok and better than the 1.8 megabitz I used to get.

I'm not networking the computers yet. Not sure if I want to share things in this office. So, I'm not working on that yet at this time.

Again, thanks.

"...

Producer

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
i should just get myself my own modem so i wouldnt get charge for that monthly crap from TWC i mean for 7bucks a month for two years that i've had it already adds up anyways  O0

Advertisements