Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 226676 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »
What I will be pack and bring with me on my trip....

****Tip: Items with Free import tax into Laos - http://laos.visahq.com/customs/

• 500 cigarettes or
• 100 cigars or
• 500 grammes of tobacco
• 2 bottles of wine
• 1 bottle of other alcoholic beverages
• 500 grammes personal jewellery
• The equivalent of up to 500USD can be legally enter or leave the country but must be declared at the customs department and should be exchanged at banks or exchange bureaus upon entry. All local currency is completely prohibited from entering or leaving the country.

What I will bring with me...

1. 4 pairs of jean, 7 tshirts, 3 shorts, 7 khakis, 7 polos, 1 light and 1 heavy jacket, 3 dress pants and shirts, 2 belts.
2. 2 pairs of dress shoe, 1 tennis shoe, 1 flip flop
3. Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, 2 bath towels, gel, shampoo, body wash, deordorant and disposable razer blades.
4. laptop
5. IPOD
6. Sunglasses
7. Digital Camera and Memory
8. 10 days worth of underwear and socks
9. Running shorts and shirts, I hope I can still go jogging there.
10. Baby Wipes and small first aid kit and 2 LED flashlights.

Gifts for the family:

2 Remote Control Cars for the Nephews (with extra batteries)
4 Talking Dolls for the Girls (with extra batteries)
1 Jacket and Hat for grandmom
1  Bottle of Patron for Cousin
1 Ceramic Hair Straighter for Cousin's wife
2 boxes of Chocolate Candy Bars from Costco, 60 bars of US Fat and Sugar!! :)

I also plan on leaving alot of my things behind... Digital Camera, LED Flashlight, Suitcase, towels, etc.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:02:17 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

couchpotato

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
Shade, thank you for the reminder.

As Shade stated... for those with little or no international travels. It is different from domestic flights. Remember you would want to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight and your luggage must be within the airlines policy.

Korean Airline: 2 Checked Bags, 1 Carry-On and One person item (laptop, purse, backpack... etc.)
Checked Bags: Max. of 50 lbs each. 61 inches total (height, width, and length combined)

Of course, DO NOT bring Combustible/Flammable substances such as paint, lighter fluid, Pressurized gas containers such as oxygen tanks, butane gas cans, Weapons and/or explosive materials such as firearms, firecrackers, etc.

Each airline is different, so be sure to check with your airline before packing. **** A good tip is get to the airport early and if you have overweight luggages, you can always repack and move things around.

What month will you be visiting?

Laos is extremely hot and humid. I would suggest that you buy pants made of thin material and shorts. Not only will that keep you cool, but they are easier to wash, dry quicker and take up less space in your luggage.

Like this post: 0

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »

Laos is extremely hot and humid. I would suggest that you buy pants made of thin material and shorts. Not only will that keep you cool, but they are easier to wash, dry quicker and take up less space in your luggage.

Sound like he going in time for the New Year so not dealing with hot and humid weather because it already passed back in April/May.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »
Are there extra charges for carrying unopen alcoholic bottles?

Hey Shade.... According the Lao's Border Customs/Regulations: The ITEMS below are FREE of Import Tax, which includes 1 bottle of alcohol.

****Tip: Items with Free import tax into Laos - http://laos.visahq.com/customs/

• 500 cigarettes or
• 100 cigars or
• 500 grammes of tobacco
• 2 bottles of wine
• 1 bottle of other alcoholic beverages
• 500 grammes personal jewellery
• The equivalent of up to 500USD can be legally enter or leave the country but must be declared at the customs department and should be exchanged at banks or exchange bureaus upon entry. All local currency is completely prohibited from entering or leaving the country.

Like this post: +1

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »

Mr. Potato-

I will be visiting Laos in November (a month away and I am nervous as hell)... as Ms. Berry mentioned, I will be there for Hmong New Years. According to Weather.com and VisitLaos.com, NOV - FEB are the coolest months, especially in Northern Laos.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
;D

On a serious note, my sister and cousins travelled during November and weather was hot, humid and dry. Most of the time they were half naked.

Me, personally I'll forego the jeans and replace it with the items couch suggested.

Point taken and thanks... I will replace a couple of the jeans with shorts. By the way, which part of Laos were you in? I was told that in Luang Prabang and Xieng Khoung, it gets very cold!

AOZ

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »
don't forget to keep this thread updated with photos of all the ppl/places u met/go!!

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
don't forget to keep this thread updated with photos of all the ppl/places u met/go!!

Of course AOZ... I will keep a journal of what happens.

I have always been the "half glass full" type... but honestly, right now. I am a little scared and very nervous but at the same time, I am very excited. I wonder if Laos will be as beautiful as I remember in my dreams. I want to enjoy it all, the journey there: the time at the airport, the layovers, the time on the plane, the time in transit, my time there: my time in the cities, the hotels, and the countryside. I want to see the Plains of Jars in Xieng Khouang, I want to see the temples in Luang Prabang, I want to see the caves in Vang Vieng and I want to see the Mekong, when my parents crossed to freedom so long ago with me strapped onto their backs.

I can not wait to step onto the soil where I was born, where I took my first breath and where my grandparents were lay to rest. I hope I can still recogize the scent of my homeland and it will welcome me with a sense of calm and happiness I have been wanting. Has Laos changed from the stories that my parents used to tell me as a child before I fell asleep? The joy of living a slow and happy life, is it still there? I hope so... I hope it is all still there.... waiting for me.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:19:14 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

AOZ

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
Of course AOZ... I will keep a journal of what happens.

I have always been the "half glass full" type... but honestly, right now. I am a little scared and very nervous but at the same time, I am very excited. I wonder if Laos will be as beautiful as I remember in my dreams. I want to enjoy it all, the journey there: the time at the airport, the layovers, the time on the plane, the time in transit, my time there: my time in the cities, the hotels, and the countryside. I want to see the Plains of Jars in Xieng Khouang, I want to see the temples in Luang Prabang, I want to see the caves in Vang Vieng and I want to see the Mekong, when my parents crossed to freedom so long ago with me strapped onto their backs.

I can not wait to step onto the soil where I was born, where I took my first breath and where my grandparents were lay to rest. I hope I can still recogize the scent of my homeland and it will welcome me with a sense of calm and happiness I have been wanting. Has Laos changed from the stories that my parents used to tell me as a child before I fell asleep? The joy of living a slow and happy life, is it still there? I hope so... I hope it is all still there.... waiting for me.

O0

YOLO!  all your answers are waiting for you in Laos...once you are there.... your heart will be content with it's answers...  what happens there may even change your life forever.  it may even inspire you for your next endeavor.  whatever happens, keep us posted!   ;)

No regret

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »
When you get there things aren't going to feel all groovy and fun just yet, becus everything there is too different and you'll need a little time to take in and adjust.  Not until like after a day or two, everything will start to sink in and you'll start to enjoy being there and experiencing everything there like it's culture, people, enviroment, etc.   ;D

It will be a trip worth going and the memories will stay with you.  Just don't leave your heart there if you're married and you'll be ok. ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:34:42 PM by No regret »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
O0

YOLO!  all your answers are waiting for you in Laos...once you are there.... your heart will be content with it's answers...  what happens there may even change your life forever.  it may even inspire you for your next endeavor.  whatever happens, keep us posted!   ;)

AOZ... thank you. I fall into that 30 something age group and I work in a very stressful environment. I love my job and it's great pay, but sometimes, I wish the pace was a little slower; not so many deadlines to meet and projects to complete. Hopefully I will find inner peace there and come back ready to face this life again.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
When you get there things aren't going to feel all groovy and fun just yet, becus everything there is too different and you'll need a little time to take in and adjust.  Not until like after a day or two, everything will start to sink in and you'll start to enjoy being there and experiencing everything there like it's culture, people, enviroment, etc.   ;D

It will be a trip worth going and the memories will stay with you.  Just don't leave your heart there if you're married and you'll be ok. ;D

NO REGRETS... LOL, probably more information than what I want to share on PH... but I am not married and I don't have anyone here for me. I am also currently between relationships and figured this would a good time to go. HOWEVER, I am not going to find a wife there. I don't want it to distract me from having a good time just enjoying my families and getting to know my home again. Thanks and talk to you soon...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:18:45 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

No regret

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
NO REGRETS... LOL, probably more information than what I want to share on PH... but I am not married and I don't have anyone here for me. I am also currently between relationships and figured this would a good time to go. HOWEVER, I am not going to find a wife there. I don't want it to distract me from having a good time just enjoying my families and getting to know my home again. Thanks and talk to you soon...
You are wrong about the girl distracting you from having fun, they will make your trip the best ever. ;D
It's ok if you're single, nothing wrong with adding a little icing to the cake. O0
good luck n have fun.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
You are wrong about the girl distracting you from having fun, they will make your trip the best ever. ;D
It's ok if you're single, nothing wrong with adding a little icing to the cake. O0
good luck n have fun.

LOL...  ???... Not sure if a few weeks is enough to start a meaningful relationship. Hopefully, I will be able to rent a motorcyle (NOT scooter) and tour Laos a bit.... that is where I will concentrate my efforts. I have dreams of getting up at the crack of dawn and ride til sundown, going from village to village... I want to see what is down every dirt road there. I don't want a phone, no wifi and no one to report to. Not sure if that makes sense or if you will believe me... but that's the plan for now.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:59:23 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
UPDATE****

I was told or at least I heard that there is a HMONG owned HOTEL in Vientiane. Can someone please confirm or deny these rumors? I will be in Vientiane for a few days on the first leg of my trip and would love to support our Hmong people if possible. Please let me know if you have any infor... good or bad about this place.

Name???
Number???
Location???
Prices???

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:46:08 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Advertisements