Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 226708 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »
LHG

I've FB your above query hopefully someone will respond.

I'll let you know..

Boo - Muchos Gracias. Looking forward to what you have to say!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
LHG

My aunt has confirmed that there is a Hmong owned hotel in that location because she stayed there last time.

She will follow up the name and location with my uncle and get back to me.

Hopefully in the interim someone else can provide you with the answer.

Ahhhhh... the power of Facebook. We bow to thee, o' mighty one! Thanks again Boo!

No regret

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:09 AM »
LOL...  ??? ... Not sure if a few weeks is enough to start a meaningful relationship. Hopefully, I will be able to rent a motorcyle (NOT scooter) and tour Laos a bit.... that is where I will concentrate my efforts. I have dreams of getting up at the crack of dawn and ride til sundown, going from village to village... I want to see what is down every dirt road there. I don't want a phone, no wifi and no one to report to. Not sure if that makes sense or if you will believe me... but that's the plan for now.

If this is your first time.  ...and if you're the type who can also enjoyed the little things about traveling to other places, you'll have a lot of fun for sure.

Strolling along in a scooter out in the country town road is fun, cus it's not hectic and dangerous like in Vientaine. 

Here's a  picture I took when i was there 2 years ago, while a friend and I were riding around.  It's pretty easy but i never learn to ride one yet, so i just get on the back and friend took me around.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:49:15 AM by No regret »

Gawmp

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
The info I received:

The hotel is called vin men thong and is owned by a Her family. The hotel is close to That Loung..

Sorry if it's not specific.. :-\

Hopefully someone else can add further information.

My cousin stayed at that place before.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »

If this is your first time.  ...and if you're the type who can also enjoyed the little things about traveling to other places, you'll have a lot of fun for sure.

Strolling along in a scooter out in the country town road is fun, cus it's not hectic and dangerous like in Vientaine. 

Here's a  picture I took when i was there 2 years ago, while a friend and I were riding around.  It's pretty easy but i never learn to ride one yet, so i just get on the back and friend took me around.

WOW Awesome pictures. I was just kidding about the dirt roads in Laos.  ;), seriously, are all the roads like that? It looks so peaceful and quite. I can hardly wait. Where was this picture taken and when? I think I am in love with it.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:43:30 PM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
My cousin stayed at that place before.

Gawmp... Cool... what's the review, not that it matters much. Good place? soft beds? AC? TV? Walking distance to places? Do you have a number?

No regret

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »

WOW Awesome pictures. I was just kidding about the dirt roads in Laos.  ;) , seriously, are all the roads like that? It looks so peaceful and quite. I can hardly wait. Where was this picture taken and when? I think I am in love with it.

Not all roads are like this some are curvy and not as nice as this.  This is 2 years ago,..as I remember this was taken at a town.. I forgot the name of it but like 40 minutes away from Vientaine.

The idea of going to laos from my experience is to have fun but don't get carry away with yourself.  Most people who end up in some sort of trouble there pretty much have themselves to blame becus they got carry away and start doing irrational things.

Over there, I saw this u.s old man hmong guy, who I think is a school couselor over here in the u.s.  he wore a nice suit, carrying a black brief suitcase that look like it had something very important in it or a lot of money inside walking around at one of the ghetto hmong new year.  I was thinking to myself, what's his intention, to show off that he's somebody important, rich, school couselor or what? 

You would think the guy's pretty educated to know better not to behave like that in such envoirment and place.  This is the kind of mentality that could potentially get you in trouble.  I'd be scare to carry that brief case around, somebody mite follow me to my motel and kill me at night for it, thinking money's inside it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:12:34 AM by No regret »

cyber_loner

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »
Awesome!! when you do you leave for Laos and when you leave Laos to come back home?

We will be in Laos for a few days in the last few days of December.  We booked our hotel in Vientiane ($150 USD per night on Agoda).  I've heard too many horror stories about staying in hotels in LAV52 where the main events are happening.   If you are comfortable in sleeping on a bed that still have strays of hair, human fluids, used condoms under the bed, stinky (poo) atmosphere etc than you should be fine in any hotels. - for my own peace of mind and enjoyment of my trip I just wont risk it.

One word of advice though - you might want to buy your own pillow, bed sheets, doona etc when you get to Laos and carry it with you if you are planning on sleeping in any hotel and than just give it away when you come back home.  My parents did that while they were over there as mum and dad couldn't stand the crap around them and on the bed (and they are not anal or clean freaks).  Also don't forget insect repellent - a must, a lot of mozzies around!

You might want to hook up with a local to be your personal driver if you want to go to places or have someone who knows where they are going.  You can hire a local and his car for around $30 −$50 a day depending on your budget.  Only catch is you are also responsible for their accommodation, fuel and food UNLESS you negotiate this in your price (though you can't get away with the food part - its just a Hmong thing I guess and fuel).  My parents hooked us up with a local they hired last time they were there, we are paying $40 a day including accommodation - word from a lot of people who's hired him before is that he is pretty good, different from your typical hmong guy.

My parents warned us not to have drinks with ice in them to avoid consuming contaminated water.  It does and doesn't happen - really depends on your luck I guess...I know a few people who's gone there and had icy drinks and they were OK.

If I can think of anything else later - I will share....:)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Not all roads are like this some are curvy and not as nice as this.  This is 2 years ago,..as I remember this was taken at a town.. I forgot the name of it but like 40 minutes away from Vientaine.

The idea of going to laos from my experience is to have fun but don't get carry away with yourself.  Most people who end up in some sort of trouble there pretty much have themselves to blame becus they got carry away and start doing irrational things.

Over there, I saw this u.s old man hmong guy, who I think is a school couselor over here in the u.s.  he wore a nice suit, carrying a black brief suitcase that look like it had something very important in it or a lot of money inside walking around at one of the ghetto hmong new year.  I was thinking to myself, what's his intention, to show off that he's somebody important, rich, school couselor or what? 

You would think the guy's pretty educated to know better not to behave like that in such envoirment and place.  This is the kind of mentality that could potentially get you in trouble.  I'd be scare to carry that brief case around, somebody mite follow me to my motel and kill me at night for it, thinking money's inside it.

Got it... No, I am not like that or do I want to portray myself to be like that. I know my place and I know I am no longer in Kansas. I am not there to show off my wealth, if I did have some. I really am just there to see the old country... enjoy the slow pace and see how our parents used to live. More importantly, I just want to get away from my crazy life here for awhile. Every once in awhile, I think we all need to put things, everything, into prospective and this is my intention for this trip. Thanks again for the advice and I hope I was not the only one that got the message.

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
Awesome!! when you do you leave for Laos and when you leave Laos to come back home?

We will be in Laos for a few days in the last few days of December.  We booked our hotel in Vientiane ($150 USD per night on Agoda).  I've heard too many horror stories about staying in hotels in LAV52 where the main events are happening.   If you are comfortable in sleeping on a bed that still have strays of hair, human fluids, used condoms under the bed, stinky (poo) atmosphere etc than you should be fine in any hotels. - for my own peace of mind and enjoyment of my trip I just wont risk it.

One word of advice though - you might want to buy your own pillow, bed sheets, doona etc when you get to Laos and carry it with you if you are planning on sleeping in any hotel and than just give it away when you come back home.  My parents did that while they were over there as mum and dad couldn't stand the crap around them and on the bed (and they are not anal or clean freaks).  Also don't forget insect repellent - a must, a lot of mozzies around!

You might want to hook up with a local to be your personal driver if you want to go to places or have someone who knows where they are going.  You can hire a local and his car for around $30 −$50 a day depending on your budget.  Only catch is you are also responsible for their accommodation, fuel and food UNLESS you negotiate this in your price (though you can't get away with the food part - its just a Hmong thing I guess and fuel).  My parents hooked us up with a local they hired last time they were there, we are paying $40 a day including accommodation - word from a lot of people who's hired him before is that he is pretty good, different from your typical hmong guy.

My parents warned us not to have drinks with ice in them to avoid consuming contaminated water.  It does and doesn't happen - really depends on your luck I guess...I know a few people who's gone there and had icy drinks and they were OK.

If I can think of anything else later - I will share....:)

WOW.... 150 per night? Are you serious? For Laos? NOT Las Vegas or San Francisco, right? I am a little shocked... I went to Maui, Hi last year and only paid 150.00 per night, but that was for a condo with a separate bedroom and a kitchen. Seems a bit steep for Laos and for most other Hmong people who would consider going there.

I do want a clean room, but at the same time, it is just for sleeping. I don't plan to do much at the hotel. My plan is just to use the hotel as my base for day trips, basically a bed to sleep on and a place to store all my stuff I can't carry with me. I am curious to know what the name of your hotel is and what you intend to do while you're there???

I have seen 3-4 stars hotels for around 40-50 per night, which was on the high end, IMO.

As for a driver... I plan on renting a motorcycle while I was there. I got an International Driver's Permit (from AAA) and will drive myself around.

http://www.bike-rental-laos.com/bikes.php

Prices ranges from 25 to 50 dollars per day for a motorcycle and about 8-10 dollars per day for a scooter... depending on what you can get the owner to settle on. I figure, I would rent a motorcycle for a couple of weeks so I can come and go as I please.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:54:15 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

No regret

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
omg, 150 a night hotel?   those must be for millionairs over there.

here's one comfortable motel to stay at if you are in vientaine, use to be own buy a u.s hmong couple but they've sold it the people over there. It's right on the main street in vientaine going half mile east from the mall and that famous square monument in the heart of vientaine .  motel is called Villasok, ...it's clean and comfortable for around 20 bucks a night.  there are hmong girls working there cleaning and taking care of the place so you will feel more comfortable staying there. 

NO need to stay at very expensive places unless you don't mind spending the money, 20-30 bucks a nite motel is nice enuff from my experience. O0

The cheap and dirtier places are 5 to 7 bucks a night--not recommended.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:21:59 PM by No regret »

cyber_loner

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »
WOW.... 150 per night? Are you serious? For Laos? NOT Las Vegas or San Francisco, right? I am a little shocked... I went to Maui, Hi last year and only paid 150.00 per night, but that was for a condo with a separate bedroom and a kitchen. Seems a bit steep for Laos and for most other Hmong people who would consider going there.

I do want a clean room, but at the same time, it is just for sleeping. I don't plan to do much at the hotel. My plan is just to use the hotel as my base for day trips, basically a bed to sleep on and a place to store all my stuff I can't carry with me. I am curious to know what the name of your hotel is and what you intend to do while you're there???

I have seen 3-4 stars hotels for around 40-50 per night, which was on the high end, IMO.

As for a driver... I plan on renting a motorcycle while I was there. I got an International Driver's Permit (from AAA) and will drive myself around.

http://www.bike-rental-laos.com/bikes.php

Prices ranges from 25 to 50 dollars per day for a motorcycle and about 8-10 dollars per day for a scooter... depending on what you can get the owner to settle on. I figure, I would rent a motorcycle for a couple of weeks so I can come and go as I please.

Damn serious :) It's in Laos.  Just surf it on AGODA - you'd be surprised at how expensive a little bit of luxury can cost.  And to answer your question, my husband and I are just visiting Laos but ensuring that our accommodation is a great experience rather than a "holiday from hell".  We work hard and save hard, why not live it up while holidaying right?  Most people wouldn't go there - I thought the same too when I was looking for accommodation. ..I mean I wouldn't appreciated if I paid good money for a room and than find a used condom under my bed - like seriously, WTF???? At least I know the old men from the USA will not be taking their one night stands there, that's for sure  :D

Driving is ok in Laos but please do be extra careful.  Had an instance with one of the guys in town that decided to go behind the wheels and got into an accident.  According to him it was NOT his fault but being a foreigner, they made it look and sound like his fault.  He had to pay compensation to his "victim" and on top of that money to bribe the police so that he does not get a unfair trial.  Just remember just because you are from the states does not make you immune to the corrupted laws of Asia.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
Damn serious :) It's in Laos.  Just surf it on AGODA - you'd be surprised at how expensive a little bit of luxury can cost.  And to answer your question, my husband and I are just visiting Laos but ensuring that our accommodation is a great experience rather than a "holiday from hell".  We work hard and save hard, why not live it up while holidaying right?  Most people wouldn't go there - I thought the same too when I was looking for accommodation. ..I mean I wouldn't appreciated if I paid good money for a room and than find a used condom under my bed - like seriously, WTF???? At least I know the old men from the USA will not be taking their one night stands there, that's for sure  :D

Driving is ok in Laos but please do be extra careful.  Had an instance with one of the guys in town that decided to go behind the wheels and got into an accident.  According to him it was NOT his fault but being a foreigner, they made it look and sound like his fault.  He had to pay compensation to his "victim" and on top of that money to bribe the police so that he does not get a unfair trial.  Just remember just because you are from the states does not make you immune to the corrupted laws of Asia.

To me it just a place to sleep so I don't care for all the luxury that come with the hotel.  I remember one time in Vegas.  A couple who wanted us to go with them to Vegas since they never been there.  They booked us a room at the Circus Circus for $180 a night and then they wanted to stay another night so we all just got a room at Travelodge for $70 a night.  I didn't see any difference between these 2 hotel at all but both did come with 2 bed to accompany 4 people.  It was nothing special to me like I need a nice suite to relaxed, sleep, etc. because when you head outside it is what you are experiencing that is more fun while all it matter is coming back to a room and have a bed to rest for the night.

No regret

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
Damn serious :) It's in Laos.  Just surf it on AGODA - you'd be surprised at how expensive a little bit of luxury can cost.  And to answer your question, my husband and I are just visiting Laos but ensuring that our accommodation is a great experience rather than a "holiday from hell".  We work hard and save hard, why not live it up while holidaying right?  Most people wouldn't go there - I thought the same too when I was looking for accommodation. ..I mean I wouldn't appreciated if I paid good money for a room and than find a used condom under my bed - like seriously, WTF? ??? At least I know the old men from the USA will not be taking their one night stands there, that's for sure  :D

I hope you guys pick up all your used condoms or not leave any kind of stains on the bed sheet.

cyber_loner

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
I hope you guys pick up all your used condoms or not leave any kind of stains on the bed sheet.

LOL...going off topic but no need for that in our department  O0

Advertisements