Advertisement

Author Topic: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)  (Read 226672 times)

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Laos... For Dummies (Like Me)
« Reply #660 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Final Thoughts… At Journeys End.

It has been a year since we met....I truly wish I could use our real names here. May’s name is fitting and cute for her. However, I know May is a conservative person and I will respect her modesty.

Believe it or not, but my blog has always been about the journey, finding one’s way, and finding one’s courage to do the unthinkable. I was very fortunate to have met May along my journey to find myself. Some might say it was meant to be and others would toss it aside as pure luck. Call it what you will, but I am a different person today because of her and for that, I am most grateful.

The weather had changed, there was frost on the grass that last morning, and it was cold in Phonsavan. We boarded the 7 AM bus to Vientiane. All my aunts and uncles came to say good bye that cold morning and each family handed us a small bag with a chicken and some rice. I could not help but wonder if this will be the last time I will ever see them again. I wonder if I will ever pass this way again. I gave everyone a hug as the last call to board was announced.

May and I spoke very little during the 9 hour ride from Phonsavan to Vientiane. 9 hours might seem long, but when you’re handed what seemed like a death sentence, it was a very fast trip indeed. We arrived at the bus station in Vientiane a little after 4 PM and then it was a quick Tuk-Tuk ride to our hotel, the very same hotel I had checked in a few weeks earlier.

We decided to have dinner down by the river, in an Indian restaurant near the Night Market. I have never seen her so down and sad looking. Her usually laughter and infectious smile was gone. Her glow that I have come so accustomed to seeing was nowhere to be found. I could only imagine the pain she must have felt. I could only wish to find the words to comfort and sooth her, but sometimes there’s just not enough words in this world.

Morning came very early as it always does when you least wants it to. With my 2 luggage stuffed and zipped, we headed towards Wattay Airport. We arrived at the airport a little before noon, part of my plan to have lunch with May and my cousins at the all-you-can-eat buffet inside Wattay Airport. My plane leaves at 2:30 PM, which should give us plenty of time to eat. For 80,000 kips or about 10 USD per person, you get a western style all you can eat buffet. The Buffet itself was not very good and the food selection was somewhat limited by US standards. The main course was fried chicken and grilled pork and small strips of very tough steak. However, they did have a made to order papaya salad station and a soda fountain. I ate very little.

2:00 came and it was time to board my plane. Standing there, in front of the immigration clerk, while holding May, I felt the most unbearable pain of my life.  Who knew I would come to love this person so much. Every memory of every hour of the past four weeks came rushing in… I held and kissed May as the last boarding call was announced. “Don’t go too long”, May whispered again. “I love you”, I shouted back… and then she was gone.

My story crosses the expanse of 2 years. For some, 2 years is a drop of water in the deep blue sea, for others, 2 years is a lifetime. I have always hope for the best, putting my thoughts on paper for you, however sometimes there are no words that can explain what is supposed to come naturally. I created this blog as a message in a bottle and throwing it into the vast ocean of the Internet. Perhaps it will touch someone and stir in them the same passion to travel as I have travelled. In any case, it has helped me personally to just write about my experiences. In some cases what was hoped to be something great did not always go well and God knows there are still many more challenges ahead for me. I begin with the journey taken, and at the end there are questions yet to be answered. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

One ending is just the next step in a new beginning. It is time to go on with your own journey; you must seek your dreams too. You have waited long enough for something that isn’t going to be more.

Until next time… to all my friends, take care.  I will be busy for awhile and will not be updating this blog any longer. For those that have my personal email, you can always find me there.

Happy Travels,

LHG

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:38:17 AM by LonelyHmgGuy »

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

unsung_hero

« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2013, 04:32:26 AM »
LHG,

You are only at the beginning of your journey.  The most difficult part is yet to come.  Your experience is unique so don't pay any heed to what people say.  Follow your heart, be strong, believe in yourself and stay true to yourself, live your life for YOU, make choices that reflect your values, beliefs, and GOAL...which is your wife.  Re-assure your wife, show her that you trust in her, be smart about the relationship, you will call her a lot, talk to her like she is there in person, don't stray, and above all....think positive.  When all is said and done, it will be well worth it...you will see.   

Its a given that most people will not understand what you are going through.  From what I've seen.......a lot of us 25-35 year old guys that make this choice are very mature, intelligent, and successful.... .and we just don't want to settle for whatever, we need to seek it, and WIN IT.  Remember it takes "A LOT" of money to go through this....and no broke Joe is gonna want to shell it out for a woman from a third world country.   

There are a few of us (and growing) that have taken that journey and gotten through like mnking, myself, and others.    Seek these people out for support, advice, and resources.  Also check out this website:  www.visajourney.com.  It has a wealth of information. 

Last but not least, your writing skills are excellent and really paints a picture for the reader.  I've been to many of the places you talked about and damn it......its exactly like how you described it.  I wish I can transfer my thoughts like you can, but Im not much of a writer.  You need to write a book or something in the future.   

Like this post: 0

AOZ

« Reply #662 on: January 22, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »
so when will May be reuniting with you here in the US?

Love happy endings.... so romantic how you found each other.  May your life together be filled with happiness and many children. 

AOZ

« Reply #663 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
LHG,

You are only at the beginning of your journey.  The most difficult part is yet to come.  Your experience is unique so don't pay any heed to what people say.  Follow your heart, be strong, believe in yourself and stay true to yourself, live your life for YOU, make choices that reflect your values, beliefs, and GOAL...which is your wife.  Re-assure your wife, show her that you trust in her, be smart about the relationship, you will call her a lot, talk to her like she is there in person, don't stray, and above all....think positive.  When all is said and done, it will be well worth it...you will see.   

Its a given that most people will not understand what you are going through.  From what I've seen.......a lot of us 25-35 year old guys that make this choice are very mature, intelligent, and successful.... .and we just don't want to settle for whatever, we need to seek it, and WIN IT.  Remember it takes "A LOT" of money to go through this....and no broke Joe is gonna want to shell it out for a woman from a third world country.   

There are a few of us (and growing) that have taken that journey and gotten through like mnking, myself, and others.    Seek these people out for support, advice, and resources.  Also check out this website:  www.visajourney.com.  It has a wealth of information. 

Last but not least, your writing skills are excellent and really paints a picture for the reader.  I've been to many of the places you talked about and damn it......its exactly like how you described it.  I wish I can transfer my thoughts like you can, but Im not much of a writer.  You need to write a book or something in the future.   

i'm happy to see that the younger people are doing this now... finding love there.... sometimes that's the best route. 

in fact i think that singles here should go there more often to find love ones....those who can afford to go of course.   O0

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
LHG,

Hero...

I appreciate your honesty and support. Some readers don't have the background that you and I share so I greatly value what you have to say and all your comments are welcome.

I am just starting the paperwork process and you're correct, it looks to be a beast. I pray that I will get it done and ready soon as I am miserable right now. This long distance is slowing killing me. May does not mention it and I know she is a strong person by nature, but I too know that she is hurting on the inside right now. Whatever good fortune you can spare, shoot them my way.

Again, thank you for all the words of encouragement. I will keep them with me always.

LHG

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 23, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
i'm happy to see that the younger people are doing this now... finding love there.... sometimes that's the best route. 

in fact i think that singles here should go there more often to find love ones....those who can afford to go of course.   O0

Love and Lust are two different things... and I am afraid that Laos or the image of Laos has forever been tarnished because of a few individuals. Yes, while there I did see some relationships that I would consider questionable.. . and yes there are those people that are just out there to have a good time. But as you have seen, there are a few of us that are genuine... I do agree with you to a point, those that can afford to go, should go. BUT, don't just go to find love, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice.

Go to find yourself, go to be in a new place, go to explode what you have heard so much about, go find your roots and go because IT is Laos. Love will follow if you let it.

LHG

Like this post: +1

Offline LonelyHmgGuy

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 23, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Hello All,

I hope this message finds everyone and finds everyone well. A very Happy New Year to you and yours. It makes me happy to see there are still people contributing to this BLOG and that people are still reading it.

It has been crazy for me... but crazy good. I have been very busy dealing paper work and with my job. Hopefully I will have some good news to share with you all in a few months. That's all I can say for now.

Again, thank you all for your continue support and patronage.

Talk to you soon,

LHG

AOZ

« Reply #667 on: January 23, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »
Love and Lust are two different things... and I am afraid that Laos or the image of Laos has forever been tarnished because of a few individuals. Yes, while there I did see some relationships that I would consider questionable.. . and yes there are those people that are just out there to have a good time. But as you have seen, there are a few of us that are genuine... I do agree with you to a point, those that can afford to go, should go. BUT, don't just go to find love, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice.

Go to find yourself, go to be in a new place, go to explode what you have heard so much about, go find your roots and go because IT is Laos. Love will follow if you let it.

LHG

everyone has their own agenda.  but i know many young men my age or younger marrying girls overseas.  and it's great to see them happy.  everyone deserves happiness and to share their lives with someone they love. 

i remember one young man in his early 20s.... took him a year for his wife to get to US.... but they are happy now.

hope that May won't have to wait too long.  best times are to come for you two.  may your life be filled with much happiness.  ;)  take good care of her.

SAGE

« Reply #668 on: April 07, 2014, 02:07:21 AM »
Tus nus Lonely,

I stumbled upon your PH thread by coincidence, while I was doing a search on Nonehai (Nonhai?) Village in Laos. :)  Twas late (1 AM CST here), and believe it or not, I ended up reading your entire thread.  :D ;D

VERY interesting read.  Thank you for sharing...  May you and your new love be blessed with a fairytale life to no end. :)

It appears that you have close relatives in Nonhai.  I have an important favor to ask of you...  Please see your pm. :)

baddabing

« Reply #669 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
Tus nus Lonely,

I stumbled upon your PH thread by coincidence, while I was doing a search on Nonehai (Nonhai?) Village in Laos. :)  Twas late (1 AM CST here), and believe it or not, I ended up reading your entire thread.  :D ;D

VERY interesting read.  Thank you for sharing...  May you and your new love be blessed with a fairytale life to no end. :)

It appears that you have close relatives in Nonhai.  I have an important favor to ask of you...  Please see your pm. :)

Are you looking for a wife/husband and needs referral?  :)

Offline Sith

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +322
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 21, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
any update(s) yet?

yoursunrise4ever

« Reply #671 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
Dear LonelyHmongGuy,

It's been almost a year and I was just wondering what's happening in your life. Were you able to get May over? Did you go back and visit her?
Miss conversing with you about life. Hope everything is going well for you.

Take care,

Yoursunrise

AOZ

« Reply #672 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Dear LonelyHmongGuy,

It's been almost a year and I was just wondering what's happening in your life. Were you able to get May over? Did you go back and visit her?
Miss conversing with you about life. Hope everything is going well for you.

Take care,

Yoursunrise

well... you can assume his and mai's story would end like how all relationships involving mekas teb and nploj teb end....or begin...... she's prolly already here.... adjusting to mekas life... while he's still working... and they prolly epecting their first child together right now..... happiness is in the air.    O0

baddabing

« Reply #673 on: February 13, 2015, 09:50:51 AM »

LHG

I agree, my visit to laos was a life changing experience for me, as it would be traveling to any other different countries with different cultures.

Envy2

« Reply #674 on: February 13, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
Bring lots of condoms..and visit the red light district often!

Advertisements