Advertisement

Author Topic: School Loans!!!  (Read 13612 times)

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
School Loans!!!
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
I have been going to school for 2 1/2 years and I have 10,000+ dollars to pay off after i graduate, I know that I will be taking out more student loan to get my degree. I want to get some pointers on how I can avoid it.. Also, is it worth it?

Please share with me your experienece with student loans... Thanks  ALLDAY-24

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: School Loans!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the words.. Man i need t o land that 100k a year job then..

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
It's the cheapest loan you'll ever get.  I think, if you get a teaching credential and teach math or science, they will forgive your loans.  Look into that program.  Teach for a while after you graduate, then you're free to do what ever you like after that.  O0  The other thing to look into is the military.  They have something similar too. Otherwise, get a degree that will land you a high paying job so that you can pay it off.

zena

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Just make sure you are getting a degree that can get you a job that pays as much as your total loan.  That way you can pay it off in 1 to 2 years if you live within or under your means for those couple years.  My husband's friend did that and he is banking now.

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
Be thrifty, be frugal, be focus on school and get 3.5gpa or above or you'll end up very disappointed.. .and will have to go back to get a master's degree.
10k is pretty cheap in my opinion.

So what is a lot in your opinion? or anybody else opinion?

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »
Yeah, honestly 10k is peanuts.

I feel sorrie for the one's paying back 100k loan...

I mean seriously, is an education really worth that much?

I can see 25k and 30k max for 4 years and to me that's way to expensive..but some folks are happy with a 100k loan! hahha I mean for reals?!!?  Yeah it's fun and all but what are they going to do when they don't get a job?

Oh wells, I guess it's what they want. 

Quite sad really. 

A long time ago when I was applying for a university, actually everything was all set to go except for one set of paper work, even my cousin saw my name on the inbound list, the paperwork was 4 pages long.. I was like "Man! really?!!  I gotta fill out all this?!!?"  Halfway through page 2 I was like "this is too much paperwork!" and so I didn't make it to the university, I also thought all the loan's I'd probably had to take and so it further deterred me. 

So, till this day! I still hate paperwork! hahhah

But I will say, if I went to college, I probably couldn't and wouldn't be doing half the things I'm doing now or even be allowed to do a portion of the thing's I've done.

It's so funnie too becuase some of the serious things I've done...yalls don't even want to know what's really going through our minds when we do it! 

hahahha oh wells.

Quite funnie really....

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

MeetSomeOne

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
It is one of the most expensive and smartest investment you ever make.  I must tell you it is ALL worth it!  $10-$30 is minimum.

1luv

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
My roomies from college are foreign exchange students who eventually got their green cards.  They took out loans by the gang load.  I know they owe a lot but they are back in their own country, hiding from loans n giving up their American status. 

Also know an old curry Guy wth 2 masters but is working for minimum wages at the college book store n taking a few loose balls courses to get loan deferment.  It works out for him I guess. 

I think the loan can be subtracted when they intercept your federal n state tax return. 

Worry not. Just take a loan n continue wth your education.  If it is not in the millions then it is a small figure.  To some, they will pay u a million to get that prestige college diploma that will follow u for life. 

Sleipnir

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
10k is peanuts like someone said.  Just finish school and do something you enjoy.

And don't expect to make a six figure income right out of school. I don't know why people think that. 

Right now, focus on school and finish.

Offline Allday-24

• PH Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
10k is peanuts like someone said.  Just finish school and do something you enjoy.

And don't expect to make a six figure income right out of school. I don't know why people think that. 

Right now, focus on school and finish.

Thanks, that's probably the best advice I got on here yet..

aria

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
I went to a 4 year private college and even with the amount of scholarship I received, I still managed to come out with a 35k loan. A few people I know didn't take out any loans but instead worked throughout college to pay the few thousands per semester after scholarships, etc. So 10k is not bad at all. Like moonangel have already said, you want to make sure your job salary will be the same or higher than your loan total. That way you'll have some hopes of paying it off. My parents took about a decade and a half to paid off my father's student loans.

To be honest, I wish I took out more loans and treated myself to summer backpacking trip in Southeast Asia or even Europe. Enjoy your college years, it'll be the last time in your life where life is simple. ;)

Sleipnir

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
Thanks, that's probably the best advice I got on here yet..

No prob.  And 10k will be very manageable and easily paid back. Only borrow what you actually need. Remember, student loans are tied to you for life until you pay them back. Not even declaring personal bankruptcy will get rid of them.  Your wages and even social security will get garnished until the are paid off.

Evil_K_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Yeah $10k is not that bad compared to some other student.  I only had about $5k loans when I was done, but I worked throughout college.  My brother's loan was almost $250k, which I believe he paid it all back already.

So it depends.  If you don' have money you'll have to take out loans and as Yax mentioned, its the cheapest kind of loan you'll find and the lenders are very good about working with you on a repayment plan for student loans.

Christa

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
The only way to avoid it, is to not go to school. If you are going to owe a sh*t load of loans, then make sure that you're education will pay off at the end which it's hard to know, but at least pick a degree that you know will get you a job.

BeautifullyBroken

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »
How about taking some classes at a Community College? It's cheaper.

F.Y.I.
Even if you don't land a job right after college, your lender will work with you. 

Good Luck!

Advertisements