Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally a GOOD Hmong Rapper/Pop Singer  (Read 5664 times)

j_lor1994

Finally a GOOD Hmong Rapper/Pop Singer
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
I found out about this guy recently on some sports websites and was surprised to see that his name was David Yang.  So I checked his music out and it's really good and catchy.  I think he is a lot younger, but whatever. 

Anybody ever heard of him?

Here is where I heard his musics
http://www.youtube.com/user/dislilsee

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a GOOD Hmong Rapper/Pop Singer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:20 PM »
I like his style. He should further play off the nerdy Asian stereotype and make geek chic. It could really work especially in the industry. I'm glad his lyrics aren't about being hardcore. 

j_lor1994

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
I like his style. He should further play off the nerdy Asian stereotype and make geek chic. It could really work especially in the industry. I'm glad his lyrics aren't about being hardcore.

Yeah, I agree.  All that angry music is getting old!  I hope he goes far and represents for the Hmong community in his song.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
Didn't he post in another forum? Too bad he isn't in here. He's very likable.

j_lor1994

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Didn't he post in another forum? Too bad he isn't in here. He's very likable.

Dunno, I'm new to this page.  That would be cool though if the artist was in here.

pseudonym

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
lyrics, delivery and content is appealing,
BUT

his image is not.

sad to say unless he changes that (haircut, clothes, etc), he will not make it that far in the American hip hop/pop industry.

Take for example, Korean Rapper Dumbfoundead:

FULL package all around,
Including great networking skills, AND GRAND popularity in South Korea
BUT hasn't even penetrated the American hip hop/pop industry.

Just the truth.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
pseudo,

The Korean doesn't fit the Asian stereotype that Americans have on Asians that's why hasn't made it here. That's why I love the Hmong rappers style because it DOES fit the stereotype. In fact, I think he should play it up even more but not to the point that it's just a joke. Geek Chic, I say! 

This is why black rappers look the way they do. They must fit the stereotype because that's what their white audience wants. White teen boys want to be voyeurs into a world that is opposite of theirs. They're going through that period of teen angst and rebellion against the system. They don't want to hear a preppy black guy rap about suburbia. 

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »
Just found an insightful article about how Asians break into mainstream easier when they fit the stereotype:

http://www.racialicious.com/2012/09/20/psy-and-the-acceptable-asian-man/

In fact, many minorities made their way into the industry playing white American stereotypes of them. The entertainment industry still largely caters to a white audience/consumers. Amy Chua did not get known for delivering westernized American childrearing tips, even though she is married to a white (Jewish?) man. She received attention and recognition for offering inside secrets about the Chinese methods of parenting.

The average white consumer is not interested in viewing a colored person trying to act "white". They want to be a voyeur into someone else's world.

pseudonym

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
pseudo,

The Korean doesn't fit the Asian stereotype that Americans have on Asians that's why hasn't made it here. That's why I love the Hmong rappers style because it DOES fit the stereotype. In fact, I think he should play it up even more but not to the point that it's just a joke. Geek Chic, I say! 

This is why black rappers look the way they do. They must fit the stereotype because that's what their white audience wants. White teen boys want to be voyeurs into a world that is opposite of theirs. They're going through that period of teen angst and rebellion against the system. They don't want to hear a preppy black guy rap about suburbia.

i completely agree with your take on asian rappers.
finally someone who gets it!

that is the reason why jin failed.
americans are not ready for a "thuggish" asian rapper.
but they are ready for a hipster, nerdy asian rapper.

that is what dumbfoundead is, and represents well.
that's why he is as popular as he is.
probably the MOST well known asian rapper, besides geologic of blue scholars.

what i'm saying about about david yang is that, he doesn't quite do hipster or nerdy well enough.  yet.

with a little polishing up on his image.  yes, he might be noticed. 
but because he can't quite carry the asian community, mainly because he is still young and doesn't have the "swag" that is necessary, i don't feel he will take it even as far as dumbfounded, or even independent, underground rappers like offwhyte and cool calm pete.

i know it's extremely petty and aesthetics, but coming from a marketing background, and studying in depth, american media and the entertainment industry, david's hair and clothes are just not "cool" enough to bank off of american youth.  his style is just not quite hip enough to be hip, nor nerdy enough to be nerdy.  does that make sense?

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »

what i'm saying about about david yang is that, he doesn't quite do hipster or nerdy well enough.  yet.

but because he can't quite carry the asian community, mainly because he is still young and doesn't have the "swag" that is necessary, i don't feel he will take it even as far as dumbfounded, or even independent, underground rappers like offwhyte and cool calm pete.

i know it's extremely petty and aesthetics, but coming from a marketing background, and studying in depth, american media and the entertainment industry, david's hair and clothes are just not "cool" enough to bank off of american youth.  his style is just not quite hip enough to be hip, nor nerdy enough to be nerdy.  does that make sense?

I completely understand you. He needs a stylist that can help him play up that image. His song fits in well though. Nerdy Asian guy trying to get a girl. Gets a lot of sympathy points for that.

j_lor1994

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

i dunno seems like he is building fans now.  he sortof has a justin bieber image, good boy with bad guy tendencies but not too bad, but we will see!  i hope them all the best because we need some talented people to represent.

Advertisements