Advertisement

Author Topic: Kindergarten now a day has change so much...  (Read 4913 times)

k3v|n

Kindergarten now a day has change so much...
« on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
It's all my learning academically, no play or rest for their small mind. School expected the students to be able to write 2 pages story at end of school year.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Kindergarten now a day has change so much...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
It's all my learning academically, no play or rest for their small mind. School expected the students to be able to write 2 pages story at end of school year.

You want the government to baby sit your kids? :) It's just not fair for those of us who have no kids.

zena

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
I personally wish the schools would work with the students more instead of bringing homework home to do.  That puts pressure and time on the parents.

I have a kindergartner and I also volunteer in her class and notice that they have a ton of play time and are only given a few minutes to do work.  Yet, they test them weekly on reading and writing.  They expect the parents to work with the kids at home.  My husband comes home tired and he can't really help consistently because of his crazy schedule and again, the tiredness/stress from just a long day of work.  I am able to help but, my goodness, I feel like I am back in school because I have to know what she needs to do in order to help her with her homework.  It's unbelievable but I'm okay with it because it'll come to an end soon and I don't want that.  I want my baby to stay in kindergarten forever because 1st grade will have much more homework and I really am not ready for my baby to grow up...same for my 5th grader.  I'm not ready for her to go to middle school.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »
I personally wish the schools would work with the students more instead of bringing homework home to do.  That puts pressure and time on the parents.

I have a kindergartner and I also volunteer in her class and notice that they have a ton of play time and are only given a few minutes to do work.  Yet, they test them weekly on reading and writing.  They expect the parents to work with the kids at home.  My husband comes home tired and he can't really help consistently because of his crazy schedule and again, the tiredness/stress from just a long day of work.  I am able to help but, my goodness, I feel like I am back in school because I have to know what she needs to do in order to help her with her homework.  It's unbelievable but I'm okay with it because it'll come to an end soon and I don't want that.  I want my baby to stay in kindergarten forever because 1st grade will have much more homework and I really am not ready for my baby to grow up...same for my 5th grader.  I'm not ready for her to go to middle school.

Having children is not easy.

zena

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
Having children is not easy.

Your point is?

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
Your point is?

My point is don't have children.  :)

Instead of having a child, buy a nice car.  :)

zena

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
My point is don't have children.  :)

Instead of having a child, buy a nice car.  :)

So, you think the government = public schools so we don't have any right if we want kids and send them off to the "government" to take care of.

Interesting since the school my kids go to receive money through taxes from hard working middle class families such as ours.  Besides that, our school does a ton of fundraising within the community. That means the parents of these kids are the ones giving the money to the school.  They don't do any of this door-to-door ask your neigbhor/friends/relatives to buy something.  They simply ask for donations from the parents.

But that's beside the point.  My oldest went to a different public school before coming to the one she is at where they didn't require any testing and no homework until first grade and even at first grade it was just one sheet of homework due at the end of the week.  This current school requires that they read and write before they hit first grade.  They have homework every day and not just one easy sheet but complex stuff that stress their little minds out.  Big difference.  Has nothing to do with having kids or not.

I hope you don't ever have kids because this would be too much for you to understand.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
So, you think the government = public schools so we don't have any right if we want kids and send them off to the "government" to take care of.

Interesting since the school my kids go to receive money through taxes from hard working middle class families such as ours.  Besides that, our school does a ton of fundraising within the community. That means the parents of these kids are the ones giving the money to the school.  They don't do any of this door-to-door ask your neigbhor/friends/relatives to buy something.  They simply ask for donations from the parents.

But that's beside the point.  My oldest went to a different public school before coming to the one she is at where they didn't require any testing and no homework until first grade and even at first grade it was just one sheet of homework due at the end of the week.  This current school requires that they read and write before they hit first grade.  They have homework every day and not just one easy sheet but complex stuff that stress their little minds out.  Big difference.  Has nothing to do with having kids or not.

I hope you don't ever have kids because this would be too much for you to understand.

I have no kids but I'm paying tax that pays for other people kids to go to school.    The government also give tax breaks for people who have kids but we as single people get no such tax breaks.  The government is funding people to have children. 

zena

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
I C.

Well, some of us have kids not so that we can get tax cuts but I do know people who do just for that. 

The tax credit for our kids wasn't that much btw, and we weren't able to recoup all our losses because we maxed out our deduction due to husband making too much...but keep in mind, he works hard...not that other people don't but just saying it's not easy money.

Sometimes in life, we have to pay for others because one day we'll get there too and will need that money (ie, social security).

Speaking of paying taxes, I knew a girl who's mother refused to work because she felt it was wrong to be taxed.  Well, years later, she got sick and needed surgery.  She had no money and since she didn't work, she didn't have health insurance, medicaid, or social security, so her daughter ended up paying for her surgery. She eventually got on social security and medicaid.  Talk about not being fair.  She didn't want to put money into the bucket but she wanted some of it when she needed help. 

You know, before I had kids, I worked too and paid my taxes.  We also pay taxes so that medicare, medicaid, social security, and welfare exists.  Yet, some of those people are the ones who are rude as he.ll and live much better than working people.  Go figure.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
you are right.  i shouldn't even complain. 

i benefit so much from tax payers.  my high school was paid by tax payers.  my college was paid by tax players.  actually all my sibling's education is paid by tax payers. 

sometimes it is easy for us to forget that we benefit from others.  We often look back and bite others.  Like those sick republicans on medicare and still think the government should not provide health care to the poor.

tubyaj

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:27:35 PM »
I have no kids but I'm paying tax that pays for other people kids to go to school.    The government also give tax breaks for people who have kids but we as single people get no such tax breaks.  The government is funding people to have children.

It's simple, to sustain a working government you need warm bodies.  I'm sure you reap of those kids directly or indirectly somehow so I wouldn't complaing too much.  It's an investment on the government's part.....

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »
K have so much hw.  My son has a packet with 4-6 pages which is done and kept at home.  The journal is the one that need to be turn n on Friday.  I only have time to do what is need to turn in.  Right now they are writing short sentence along with drawing a picture.  Write # 1-30.  This week my son is taking the state writing exam.  Too much and I don't remember my daughter doing that much but for her it was just half day K but now K s full day.

PYK

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »
Watch "Race to Nowhere". I've convinced my K-2 teachers that all students need for homework each night is to read and debrief their reading along with weekly projects that incorporate home and academics. The shift for both students and staff is amazing.

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »
I have to respectfully disagree on some points. 

I agree that schools should work with students more.  However, I disagree with the homework concept.  I understand that parents are busy, but a healthy education doesn't end at school.  If you look at the top students, they often have someone at home who is working with them.  Many teachers are not assigning homework so it can be a burden; the homework is an opportunity for parents to work with their child.  In fact, if the teacher is remotely decent, the homework is just a review anyways (at this level anyways). 

Besides, in kindergarten, if a student doesn't finish their homework, a good teacher often finds time to let the student finish.  Plus, the homework is a good indicator of individual student needs.  Homework in kindergarten is not the end of the world. 

On a child development level, I think getting a child started with homework early is a good idea.  Good habits and routines start early. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
Children are more capable than what many people think.  Two pages might actually be aiming low; the minimum requirement to pass.  There are kindergarten students from non-English speaking countries who can write a 2 page story in English by the end of the semester. 

We, as adults, find some things difficult that children do not.  Working, learning, and resting is actually harder for the adult mind (generally speaking).  For a kindergartner, working, learning, and resting the mind is not that hard (generally speaking). 

Children surprisingly can have a lot of fun with anything.  It might as well be academic. 

Advertisements