Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong written language  (Read 4987 times)

Tubpojntxoog

Hmong written language
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
To my knowledge, Hmong currently have four writing systems.

1. Hmong Latin
2. Hmong Pahaw
3. Hmong Lo Fong
4. Hmong Paj Ntaub

If we Hmong have to choose one to represent us, which one would you choose and why? This is a simple question that require simple answer,so please stop fighting like cat and dog. Thank you.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Hmong written language
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »
Hmong Latin.  Simple.  We do not need additional technology to support it.

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
On a global scale, there are actually over a dozen Hmong-based scripts, where each group will argue adamantly for the full actualization of their script.

That said, "Ntawv Hmoob Las Tees", is the future.  It is in fact, without question, the most popular, widely used, accepted, academically taught and supported, and most printed worldwide.  All others do not compare and therefore should be dissolved in my honest opinion.  Some are outright "fabrication" -- the "Paj Ntaub" script for example, among others  ...   :idiot2: .

If Hmong/Miao worldwide want to establish any sense of "homogeneity", then this debacle needs to be first and foremost resolved -- barring personal bias, agenda, or glorification.  Sadly, that is easier said then done ...   :'( .

3 Years Time

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »
I'd recommend Hmong RPA as a pinyin type replacement, and Hmong Paj Ntaub as the one to represent our people. Why? It's original and looks very Hmoob.

Hmoob RPA uses Western characters.
Hmoob Pahawh uses Lao/Thai looking characters.

chidorix0x

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
I'd recommend Hmong RPA as a pinyin type replacement, and Hmong Paj Ntaub as the one to represent our people. Why? It's original and looks very Hmoob.

Does not represent Hmong/Miao whatsoever.  This belief or idea is actually false and a misrepresentat ion of what is genuine or factual.  If you or anyone were to compare ALL of the supposed symbols/signs in the "Paj Ntaub Script" to actual and authentic Hmong/Miao embroideries worldwide, you'd see a HUGE discrepancy.  Some of the symbols/signs DO NOT even exist in the embroideries.  And the bulk of the symbols/signs are either variants, pieces of a whole, or simply manipulated in varies ways and directions, to try and represent scripts, like Chinese characters.  Again, this script is purely fabricated.  Most importantly, there is absolutely "NO" scholarships, folklore, or any shred of evidence anywhere to support an ancient or lost Hmong Script embedded, hidden, or preserved in Hmong embroidery whatsoever.  If there are, they are purely fabricated fairy tales, mainly to try and validate the "Paj Ntaub Script" which Hmong as a whole and in general know it is just not so -- purely false.  That much is fact.  All and any other argument is pure denial of what is the truth.  That is my honest opinion, and the truth, found in Hmong history, folklore, and scholarships past, present, and likely the future as well.

As a matter of fact, an elderly Hmong lady, who was interviewed solely about Hmong embroidery said it best, "In the old days, or pre-Western influences/civilization, the elders etc. were so illiterate that they basically just took signs and symbols from nature to be used in Hmong embroidery."  If this does not answer the question over the "Paj Ntaub Script" then clearly anyone who believes in it must be truly gullible, naïve, and ill-informed.

There are plenty of other insightful and academic truths that can be cited in opposition of the "Paj Ntaub Script", but what's the point.  Ignorant and uneducated individuals will believe anything.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
As I recall, there have been 9 systems put forth so far. Yet we have not agreed to use any of them as our official writing system. Our disagreement has been real intense, political and religious. Two brothers in China each even wrote one and expected the rest of the Hmong to follow only his.  But the Hmong have not heeded anyone.   The best we have done so far is using the RPA (Romanized Popular Alphabet) system more popularly. Created in 1953, this system has been more widely accepted by the world Hmong populations, being learned as far as the United States and China. 

I did suggest a few years ago on PH that we create a tenth system, too, so that we have one more to compete and to choose from. But I don't think PH recommendation s go very far.

Which system to use? It's not simple as it sounds in all of the 8 tones of our language. This issue has been debated over the decades and I'm willing to bet that it had been for centuries in China, too, and that is why each system that was created for us may have been destroyed due to our ancestors' disagreements on one official system.  Again, even two brothers failed to agree with each other.

When will the Hmong agree on one system is still a big question. I have hope that the future Hmong generations will agree on one system. So far, the current leadership has not been able to agree on one. That, too, is part of the reason why I had suggested that a tenth system be created so that we will have exhausted all of the creation possibilities and now ready to choose among them.

To my knowledge, Hmong currently have four writing systems.

1. Hmong Latin
2. Hmong Pahaw
3. Hmong Lo Fong
4. Hmong Paj Ntaub

If we Hmong have to choose one to represent us, which one would you choose and why? This is a simple question that require simple answer,so please stop fighting like cat and dog. Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:45:02 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

MovKuam

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

Russia as well. The creator from Vietnam and educated in Russia.

Offline YeejKoob13

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
I only know how to read and write the Hmong Latin version. I don't know much about the other versions at all... But I think RPA writing system can only carry us so far.

For instance when we try to write words in Hmoob Dawb and Hmoob Lees which mean the same but sound different then we come into a redundant problem. ei: water; dej or dlej. We would have to physically spell two different words for one meaning.

If we want Hmong unification, nation building, then we will have to come up with a system that accommodates the many Hmong dialects (like Dawb, Lees, Suav, and whatever else). That's how one unifies a weak and scattered ppl together. I learned from a Hmong grad student (who specializes in Chinese language and writing or something like that) and she said to the effect that we should come up with a writing system similar to the Chinese whereby they use a symbol to denote meaning to the word. Say for instance "*" means water and it can be both pronounced by Hmoob Dawb as dej and Hmoob Lees as dlej too, but the spelling is the same, not two or however many there are.

We will have to look into this soon when our ppl with many dialects are ready to merge.

Tubpojntxoog

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
I will choose the RPA writing as well, unless someone convinces me to choose other form. Though I'm not a Christians, I believe the RPA writing is the most widely used internationall y among Hmong people, and more Hmong know it more than any other writing. I don't think there will be much conflicts among the RPA, Paj Ntaub, and Lauj Foom, but there will be a dispute between RPA and Pahaw. There is a growing number of Hmong individuals, including Hmong professional, that doesn't like the RPA. Their arguments are:

1. RPA was created by Westerners for a purpose. And that is to change Hmong cultures, religion, and the origin of Hmong history.

2. RPA is no greater than a 3rd grade level of writing. For that It won't bring Hmong any progress and advancement.

3. If Hmong use RPA, Hmong have to pay tax to England and other nations that created the Roman alphabet.

4. RPA is not created by Hmong. To represent Hmong, it has to be something unique to the Hmong that created by Hmong.

This an issue that is on HNO's agenda, so we will just wait and see.

Advertisements