Advertisement

Author Topic: Test taking skills!  (Read 4305 times)

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
Test taking skills!
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »
What are some easy ways to study for a multiple answer test?

Like this post: 0
“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Test taking skills!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
Read and understand the materials.

Multiple choice questions can be hard especially every choice seems correct but you must pick the best one.  This can trick your memory into choosing the wrong answer.

peas_n_queues

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:38:06 PM »
multiple guess .... process of elimination, otherwise pick C

Like this post: +1

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
multiple guess .... process of elimination, otherwise pick C
now why should I pick C?....
Read and understand the materials.

Multiple choice questions can be hard especially every choice seems correct but you must pick the best one.  This can trick your memory into choosing the wrong answer.
I dislike multiple choice questions because I'm a thorough person and would actually read every single answer even if I know I have the right answer, then my mind would think back and sometimes I would double guess myself. Hate it when that happens!

“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Succubus

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »
What are some easy ways to study for a multiple answer test?

1) Study all the materials at least 3 times

2) Do as much sample questions as possible

3) When taking the exam, answer the question before looking at the answer.  When you find that answer, mark it.  Move on.  The longer you exam the question, the more likely you will reason your way out of the right answer.  Besides, it's timed so don't waste time.

starflyy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
Whenever there is a multiple choice test, I normally read the assigned readings days ahead and then highlight the important main ideas in each paragraph. Definitions of any vocabulary might be useful too! :) That way, everytime when you study the material, you dont have to read every single line. Post it notes helps also <3 Make sure to take notes during class! Use post it notes, they are your friend! =] Take advantage of study groups because you learn things you never knew, and can have answers to your questions. I hope this helps! =] Goodluck!

WindComeWindBlow

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
What helped me understand the contents better is to type/write up what I read. 

I loved my professor in my senior year.  She would read off the answers to the tests; she just didn't tell us which number of the exam it was.   ;D

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
If it's multiple choice, chose what comes to your mind first when it comes to a question you have a problem with.

Like this post: +1
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Missterious

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
You will find any tests to be much easier to take if you actually understand the material. If you're just hoping to memorize info then you best have a good as brain to memorize everything.

KK

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
If you understand it and learn it, then you wouldn't have to memorize it. Studying and memorizing doesn't always equal learning. Understanding lasts... memorizing fades away.

Multiple choice tests are the hardest, because they try to be tricky sometimes by giving you similar answers to choose from. You just have to go into it accepting that you may not get a perfect score.
Most college kids come to the understanding that the goal isn't to be perfect... it's basically just to pass and graduate. Once you graduate, most likely you will be competing with high school grads unless your field of study is specific.. ie. doctor, lawyer, engineer...

Supervisor, Manager, etc... any high school grad can achieve that same position and will most likely have a better shot at getting it... company won't have to dish out quite as much $$$ for that person to do the same job.

Anyway, I digress...

Read the question... understand what it's really asking. Look at ALL the answers instead of just picking the first one that seems to make sense. Realize that the whole purpose of a multiple choice test is to try to trick you into picking the wrong one. It forces you to really understand the subject because it takes away the possibility of the test-taker BS'ing his or her way through it.

thenewbguy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
I always hated studying but was decent at taking tests. Skated by with A's and B's while do C or D level studying. My brain just can't focus on stuff like studying as much as I want to. Longest I ever studied for a test was 1 hour straight, average is 15-20 min. LOL

Horrible! But I've always wondered if I'm also affected by ADHD or something else as it's always been hard for me to focus.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
I always hated studying but was decent at taking tests. Skated by with A's and B's while do C or D level studying. My brain just can't focus on stuff like studying as much as I want to. Longest I ever studied for a test was 1 hour straight, average is 15-20 min. LOL

Horrible! But I've always wondered if I'm also affected by ADHD or something else as it's always been hard for me to focus.

30 min is the longest.  after that, it's a pain.  it takes a lot of discipline to study an hour or two straight.  i used to be able to do it but after playing so much video games, i can't take boredom anymore.

time to stop playing video game.

Advertisements