Advertisement

Author Topic: Roles of tshwj kab & kav xwm  (Read 25567 times)

Toumeng

Roles of tshwj kab & kav xwm
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
What are their responsibiliti es?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

yuknowthat

Re: Roles of tshwj kab & kav xwm
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
kinda of like a General Manager. Make sure all issues are solved or process runs smoothly

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
yuknowthat,

Emmm, hate to "burst your bubble", but "error", not exactly.

"Tshwj kab kav xwm" as a single phrase refers to the two groups of men as a whole who are responsible and oversees all of the daily activities of a traditional Hmong funeral -- from funeral rites, to issues, to food (meat dish) preparation.

Tshwj kab are the 2-4 men responsible for food (meat dish) preparation.  No, this does not include nor does it imply the ladies -- "cov niam ua mov".

Kav Xwm are the 2-4 men responsible solely for the entire funeral -- practically everything that goes on, culturally and non-cultural too where applicable.

I'd give specifics, more info/details, but that'll take several pages to type up ...  ;)  (And yes, I think I know what I'm talking about as I've witnessed, participated, and have apprenticed as a Kav Xwm.  Ua tsaug ...  :))

Toumeng

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
Than what does the xyom cuab do then if the kav xwm oversee the entire funeral already?

chidorix0x,
Please do elaborate as detail as you possible for I'm sure a lot of folks are still confuse/unsure what each position does during a funeral.  O0

chidorix0x

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:39 PM »
Than what does the xyom cuab do then if the kav xwm oversee the entire funeral already?

chidorix0x,
Please do elaborate as detail as you possible for I'm sure a lot of folks are still confuse/unsure what each position does during a funeral.  O0

Perhaps you need to be more specific, because "xyom cuab" is a general term and refers to the entire grieving family, family members (cousins, aunts, uncles), and/or relatives (in-laws).  "Xyom Cuab ces tsuas khaws quaj nyiav xwb." -- they basically do nothing more than that, so they say or humbly imply.  However, the truth is, they actually do a lot, just nothing directly where the funeral rites and ceremony is concerned, at the funeral home that is -- that's just how Hmong culture works, its etiquette.  For example, "xyom cuab tau txhij cig", and that's a long drawn out process starting from the very first day when a "decease" occurs in the family.  (So there's no confusion, when I said, "txhij cig" in this sense, I am merely referring to the entire process of calling people to help out etc., not the actual act of "txhij cig cov neeg pab ua qab num".  That in itself is another specific thing of its own.)

Any way, be more specific and I'd be happy to "elaborate" best I can via my personal experiences and insight.

Ua tsaug ...  :)

yuknowthat

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
lol its okay to correct.. i learn something new or clearer answer about it..tsis chim li...

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
chidorix0x and whomever knows the ins and outs of hmong rituals,

Could you guys/gals please educate us on the different roles people play in Hmong funerals and in Hmong weddings?  And what are the procedures/processes/standard practices?

For example, you mentioned xyom cuab and tshwj kab kav xwm and what those roles are.  What are the other roles?  For example, what is the role of the hauv qhua?

At the weddings, you have a crucial wedding member, the mejkoob.  How many other roles are there in a wedding and what do each role do?  You have the hais nkauj?, the qhuab ntuas...  What is a typical Hmong wedding procedure?

chidorix0x

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
lilly, ( :)) -- since you asked so nice and of genuine interest, I will oblige a bit.

First of all, the Hmong wedding (tshoob kos) and funeral rites (kev pam tuag) are not rituals.  Rituals have a religious connotation, and Hmong weddings and funerals are not religion-centric or religion based, though some will argue the funeral is.  It is not.  They, both are in fact, more ceremonial.

I've already answered the "xyom cuab" and "tshwj kab kav xwm" question.  As for the other roles or persons needed in a Hmong funeral, they are:

1.  1-2 Thawj Xyom Cuab and Cuab Tsav -- the former helps the Kav Xwm resolve issues and the latter is responsible for giving offerings to the deceased
2.  1 Txiv Tawv or Qhuab Kev -- responsible for the initial sending of the deceased to the after life
3.  3-4 Kav Xwm -- they are the men formally in charge of the funeral ceremony, especially at the funeral home.  They are formally or better known and referred to as "Masters of Ceremony".  They also are solely responsible for other duties as well, but it'll be too laborious to elaborate on.  An example is, making sure all the sacrificial cattle are butchered accordingly.
4.  3-4 Txiv Qeej -- their biggest responsible are: Zaj Qeej Tu Siav and Zaj Qeej Qhuab Ke, and also the other reed songs during the ceremonial 2-3 day event.
5.  3-4 Tshwj Kab (men, married or single) -- they are the men who prepare and cook the meat dishes.
6.  3-4 Niam Ua Mov (only widows) -- they are solely responsible for cooking rice.  That's it.  Nothing else, though you may see them preparing and helping make other dishes, at their discretion.
*7. 3-4 Txiv Txiag  -- responsible for cutting the trees/lumber to make the coffin
*8. 2-4 Tub Kwv Tawv -- responsible for gathering firewood
*9.  2-4 Tub Kwv Dej -- responsible for getting water
*10.  2-4 Niam/Ntxhais Npoj Hna or Nplej (forgot which) -- responsible for getting the rice grains to be cooked

*  These persons/roles are no longer needed and applicable in the USA or more developed countries, though some if not all are still used/needed in SE Asia.

Bare in mind, these are the "main" persons/roles needed to ensure the funeral ceremony has adequate persons on hand to ensure all the required work -- cooking and funeral rites -- are being met at the funeral site and/or home/church.

You mentioned "hauv qhua".  That is a general term to mean all parties or individuals who will be asked and tasked to come and give their last farewell, offering, and love/blessing to the deceased.  "Hauv Qhua" has two category.  They are "Hauv Qhua Txooj" and "Hauv Qhua Tab".  The "Txooj" are sometimes referred to as "loj=big" and "Tab" as "me=small".  The biggest difference between the two are that the "big" group/persons are asked and tasked to kill a sacrificial cattle.  Yes, the cattle is already provided and purchased by "tsev xyom cuab" for them to come and kill.  Hmong people call this "qaij kaus" -- literally meaning "titling an umbrella".  Not all "big" group/persons have a cattle to kill though, and this will be made clear to them by the "kav xwm".  As for the "small" group/persons, they are only asked and are tasked to come grieve, referred to as "tuaj hlub".  Both groups have their own specific roles to fulfill though the "small" group/persons have the least to do.  Here is the breakdown of the two.

Hauv Qhua Txooj:  Cuab Tsav (called Txiv Tuam Pem Xov Swm at the funeral home/church -- he is also an immediate relative of the deceased, typically a first cousin), Muam Phauj (sister of the deceased), Txiv Dab Laug (brother of the deceased), Xov Txiv Dab (brother-in-laws), Cuas Nyab Cuas Ntxhais (sister-in-laws), Xeev Txwj Laug or Hauv Nom (typically a known or affluent elder)

Hauv Qhua Tab:  is basically everybody else (immediate cousins, aunts, uncles, in-laws, brothers, and sisters or anyone close to the deceased)

This pretty much answers your question regarding a Hmong funeral ceremony -- the persons and roles.  If you have other questions or need further clarification then ask and I will try to answer it/them best I can per my experiences and insight.

As for the Hmong wedding ceremony, create a separate thread for that and I will chime in.  I don't want to mix or confuse the two within a single thread.

Ua tsaug ...   :)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:48:07 PM by chidorix0x »

Like this post: +1

Toumeng

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
chidorix0x,
Koj sim piav txog cov neeg uas zaum saum lub rooj ua hmo hais/luam xim thiab sob.

Ua tsaug.

chidorix0x

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
Toumeng,

Hmo rub rooj hais/luam xim ces qhov tseem ceeb tshaj plaws ces tsuas yog los txheeb zeej laus, tus tas sim neej ntawd, nws lub neej kev iab kev daw xwb os.  Cov "lus txhiaj txhais" cov zaum saum rooj noog ob twg kav xwm ces tsuas yog kev lom zem los sis los zov hmo xwb -- vim thaum ntuj qub qab, nyob teb chaws Los Tsuas ces yam tsaus ntuj ces ntshai-ntshai dab ces hais tej yam nod kom neeg nrog yus nyob zov hmo xwb os.

Txhua txhua tus neeg zaum saum lub rooj muaj txoj kev cai txheeb, tiam sis, nyias tsuas txheeb nyias qhov xwb.  (For examp:  The Cuab Tsav, sitting at the table is now called Txiv Tuam Pem Xov Swm, has nothing to "txheeb" except that "nws tus nkauj muam" or "nraug nws" is passed away.  That's it.  Whereas the other individuals will inquire about other stuff, such as, how many cattle were given to the deceased, how many kids did they have, how many of them are married, and how much clothes were given to the deceased etc. etc..  Lastly, "Txiv Thwv", only ask if enough food and drink was provided and adequate for the funeral ceremony.  To this extent, it is paramount and why "Muam Phauj" and "Txiv Dab Laug" are the biggest chiefs at the table and why every once of respect, attention, and leniency is given them.  Why?  Because, first and foremost, the deceased is their blood brother or sister, and without their blessing, there is "no way" "lub rooj nqis" -- and this must be avoided at all cost.  And this explains why in some cases, "xyom cuab tau thov thiab kho Muam Phauj or Txiv Dab Laug.")

Beyond that, the table represents "rooj mob rooj nkeeg thiab rooj nom rooj tswv", and the former is kicked down and the latter raised prior to "Txiv Coj Xai los hais cov lus foom kom."

In essence, that's basically it.  The reason it takes several hours from beginning to end, is mainly due to "cov lus txheeb thiab cov lus txhiaj txhais."  Some folks are trying to steer away from that altogether nowadays, or minimizing it as much as possible.  The "lus txheeb" however is kind of mandatory, especially for the "Muam Phauj" and "Txiv Dab Laug" because "yuav tau ua kom 9 pluag sib luag, 8 hluas sib ntev" else there will/may be repercussions down the road, or in some case "right away".  And that is a "no-no" at all cost.

Hopefully that answers your question, unless you have a specific inquiry?

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Ua tsaug, chidorix0x.  +1 for your help in explaining the roles. 

Could you explain the process as well?  What is usually done on the first day/night of the funeral, what happens on the second day/night, what happens on the third day/night, what happens at the burial site?

Thanks so much!   :)

chidorix0x

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »
lilly, ( :))

Are you serious  ...   O0  ...  I'd have to write a whole book to explain all of that,  :(  (Also, bare in mind, there are some subtle "nuisances" among all of the various clans, especially within each specific sub-clan as well.  For examp:  Not all Lee, Vue, Yang, Vang etc. do the exact same thing among their clan and their sub-clan.  In this case, in my honest opinion, experience, and insight, the variants are mainly due to the fact that "knowledge" or "formal rites" were never taught, learned, and passed on sufficiently and adequately -- mainly because everything was taught orally and nothing was historically or traditionally ever written down, thus all the "nuisances" and "variants" here and there.)  That said, in general, all Hmong funeral ceremony is more or less the same.  Well, except for the Green Hmong.  And I have only heard stories, as I am White Hmong, and have never seen nor attended a Green Hmong funeral.  Oddly, I have also heard that more and more Green Hmong are adopting White Hmong funeral practices.  (Don't know for a fact.  It's just what I've heard from some elders -- those who are kav xwm, txiv qeej, and xyom cuab.)

Any way, I will do my best to answer your question regarding all 2-3 days of the funeral ceremony at the funeral home/church up to the actual burial when I have time.  (Dang, this is going to take forever to write/type up, but I will do my best, because you seem so "genuinely interested" -- which is rare nowadays.  And in that regard I do not mind providing the information.)

Ok, check back later in the evening or so.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »
Hi Chidorix0x,

Here is the thread asking about the Hmong wedding process and the wedding roles:

http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php/topic,339109.msg4397244.html#msg4397244

Thank you!

chidorix0x

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
Here is the info. regarding "lilly" question for each day of a traditional Hmong funeral ceremony up to the day of burial -- mainly highlighting the sole purpose, and what is done.  (Just be mindful that, today in the West, the funeral ceremony typically only takes 2-3 days, whereas in SE Asia, pre-Westernization, it can takes several weeks.  Why?  Because a lot of relatives do not live within the same village or nearby villages and may take days, even a week, to arrive.  And this mainly explains why there are so many "reed songs" played daily/nightly -- basically to wait for everyone to arrive so proceedings can continue into day 2 and towards burial.)

Day 1:  Txiv Tawv Kev hnub (Master of the Way) --  this is the beginning of the funeral ceremony, and the first crucial event is to bring the "deceased", fully dressed in his afterlife apparel, which is mandatory, before "Txiv Tawv Kev", in preparation for his/her journey into the "land of darkness".  Not much is done here except "Txiv Tawv Kev 'qhuab ke'" song, telling and leading the "deceased" on his/her way into the afterlife.  (I will add that within this song, it's very sad, it tells of how the world was created and how death became a part of human existence.  Also, it specifically leads the deceased from his/her birthplace to their eventual destination which is "mus cuag poj cuag yawm", or "heaven" if you want to call it that.)

Once the "Txiv Tawv Kev" is done, by which time it is around noon, there is a lunch break.  Then it is "Txiv Qeej" turn.  He is responsible for two very important reed songs; "Zaj Qeej Tu Siav" (Last Breath Song) and "Zaj Qeej Quab Ke" (Leading/Showing the Way).  Again, both of these reed songs tell of the world's creation and how death became a part of human existence, and finally leading the deceased through the "land of darkness" to "heaven".  (I do not play the "qeej", or know these reed songs literally, but did try to learn once and this is what my "qeej" master told me.)

Day 2:  Hnub tos "Hauv Qhua" (Reception Day of All Grievers)  --  The very first person who must enter before anyone else is "Txiv Cuab Tsav".  Why?  Because he is the sole person who will receive all the offerings from "cov hauv qhua" to give to the deceased.  Without him, no one else, none of the "cov hauv qhua", can enter or give any of their offerings to the deceased.  The "Txiv Cuab Tsav", is the sole person who can communicate with the deceased and it his his duty to do so  --  give all offerings to the deceased.  This day is the most busy and chaotic with all the "hauv qhua" arrivals and visiting grievers.

Once all the "hauv qhua" has arrived with their baskets and offerings, then it is time to "faib hauv qhua".  This is where all the "Hauv Qhua Txooj" and "Hauv Qhua Tab" go to a predetermined location to receive their baskets with the 2-chicken and pig being parsed out accordingly.  Know that only "Hauv Qhua Txooj" brings a pig with their 2-chicken.  The "Hauv Qhua Tab" only brings 2-chicken.  Yes, the pig and chicken must be cooked, though some pigs I have seen have not been cooked.  This is also the precise time when the "Hauv Qhua Txooj" will be formally informed that they have a cattle to slaughter and that they will also be tasked to sit at the table -- "lub rooj hais xim" -- and that they are to have their representative, "tus kis", sit there when that time arrives.

This is basically it for day 2.  The reed songs played throughout the day and evening are basically "qeej zov hmo".  That is to say, reed songs to entertain the guests and accompany the day and night.  Yes, there are three rather important reed songs played starting on day 2.  They are: "zaj qeej tshais", "zaj qeej su", "zaj qeej hmo", literally "breakfast song", "lunch song", and "dinner song" for the deceased to eat, like a living person having 3-meals a day.

Day 3:  Hnub Rub Rooj Hais Xim thiab Foom Kom (The Table's Inquiry and Songs of Blessing) --  This does not start until around noon, however, early in the morning, the process of slaughtering all the cattle has already begun.  Each cattle slaughtered will be overseen by the "kav xwm" so that they are parsed out accordingly.  Each cattle slaughtered, technically, is suppose to be offered to the deceased to take with him/her to the afterlife.  That said, it rest solely on the deceased when they are still alive, to let immediate family members know how much they want -- meaning precisely which cattle they want offered to them.  The two mandatory ones that must be offered are:  "Cuab Tsav" and/or "Muam Phauj/Txiv Dab Laug".  ("I want to make a point here for the ladies, because when you got married, that cattle in $monetary$ form was already given to you -- your husband -- by your parents, so that on your deathbed, for sure you must get this cattle.  Today that's typically $1000 dollars."  There is a precise Hmong term for this, but I forgot it.  No, it is not "phim cuam", though it is part of it.)

I also want to make a point about all the slaughtered cattle.  Yes, 3-ribs, "peb daim tav", must be given to "cov txiv qeej".  That is why you see so many ribs cut up exactly in that amount.  Additionally, the meat, the portion that does not belong to "tsev xyom cuab", are to be evenly divided among all of the "kav xwm", "tshwj kab", and "niam ua mov".  Say if there are 4 persons per group, then that equates to 16 piles of meat.  (I am going to bite my tongue here and not make any comments about a lot of what I have heard, witnessed, and have been formally informed about this process.  All I will say is, this somewhat explains why in some cases, meat just seems to "vanish" despite say 8-12 cattle being slaughtered.)

Another very important fact/point I want to make is that each of these assigned cattle are suppose to be cooked for all the guests to eat.  And that task falls one on the person, "tus hauv qhua ntawd", responsibility .  Yes, they can do it themselves if they wish or they can reassign it to the "tshwj kab kav xwm".  The latter is the preferred method nowadays.  The persons, "cov hauv qhua", who all has to do this are all of the "Hauv Qhua Txooj" -- basically anyone who has been asked and tasked to kill a cattle.  You, if you are one of the "Qhua Txooj", DO NOT keep the meat for your own personal consumption.  The rule of thump is that after you have cooked your share if there is any remaining meat, then yes, you can keep that.  However, the norm is that, all the meat will be used in various ways which I won't get into.

Later in the afternoon, say around 4pm or 5pm, is when they will start to setup the table for "rub rooj hais xim".  A very important (mandatory) prerequisite is the singing of the song "zaj tswm/ceem qeej" by the "kav xwm" to the "txiv qeej".  Basically, this song informs the reed players to postpone and stop playing their reed songs and to thank them because now it is time to setup the table.  Once this is done, the table is setup, and the "kav xwm", will announce and formally invite each of the "Hauv Qhua Txooj" representative s to come and sit at their assigned seat.  They sit in this order from left to right:  Txiv Tuam Pem Xov Swm, Muam Phauj or Txiv Dab Laug or vice versa, Xov Txiv Dab or Cuas Nyab Cuas Ntxhais (note, only certain Hmong have Cuas Nyab Cuas Ntxhais), Txiv Qeej, Txiv Txiag (note Txiv Qeej and Txiv Txiag don't sit nowadays), Yawg Xeev Txwj Laug or Hauv Nom, and finally Txiv Thwv.

Once all the persons at the table have "txheeb kev iab kev daw", which can take hours, then either the "Muam Phauj or Txiv Dab Laug", will sing a blessing song to the "tsev xyom cuab".  Afterwards, "Yawg Xeev Txwj Laug or Hauv Nom", will sing the song "tuam rooj" -- literally "kicking the table".  Once he is done, then "Txiv Coj Xai", will come and sing the song "tsa rooj nom rooj tswv" -- literally "raising the table of kings", but technically it is "wealth and prosperity".  And from this point on, the "Txiv Coj Xai" sings all of his songs, from how the deceased is a loving mother/father, to how his kids should love one another, to the "blessings" aka "foom kom".

This leads into Day 3, because by the time "Txiv Coj Xai" is done, it's roughly about 5AM the next day already.

--- ok, I gotta run.  To be continued whenever I get back ... ua tsaug ...   :)

chidorix0x

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
Conclusion of Day 3 ... leading to burial.

Once "Txiv Coj Xai" is done, the "Txiv Qeej" are called upon again to play the reed song "zaj qeej tshais" -- "breakfast song".

Afterwards, and this is one of the most important aspect of a Hmong funeral ceremony, is the offering/burning of the paper "money" -- all of those white, silver, and gold origami, and especially that BIG stamped out white paper bundle , called "ntshua ntawv vam sab", that's being hanging by itself throughout all three days.  This also includes all the individual "ntshua ntawv nyiaj txhiag" all the sons, daughters, in-laws etc. have too.  They all are money offerings to the deceased.  The "Txiv Qeej" will come and play the song "zaj qeej hlawd ntawv".  Once the song is done, all the paper "money" are to be burned and are offered to the deceased.  (Regarding the deceased's "ntshua ntawv vam sab", according to our clan's practice, one must bundle the ashes and take them to be buried within the grave of the deceased.  No, it does not go in the coffin -- just buried in the grave is all.)

After all the paper money has been burned, then it is time to take the deceased to be buried.  Hmong people say, "coj nws mus nws vaj nws tsev", literally meaning "take him/her to their home/house".  When the time comes, the sons are tasked to carry the casket.  This is so they get all the blessings of their parent.  This is a diehard Hmong etiquette.  Just so you people know, if you are an outsider, say an in-law or cousin, know that, with all due respect, do not carry the casket.  Even if you are asked, if you know better, just politely decline.  If you absolutely have to, then take a spot in the midsection or towards the back.  Definitely NOT at the front.

There are individuals who are tasked to lead the casket out of the funeral home.  First is a "nyab" or "daughter-in-law" who carries some burying essence, to lead everyone out.  The burning essence is left to burn outside somewhere -- in a safe spot.  Next she's followed by a "Txiv Qeej" who's playing the reed song to lead the deceased out.  Then there are two individuals who is basically pulling the horse along, Hmong people say, "cab nees".  They simply say, "Mus laud.  Mus os."  They then are followed by the sons and persons carrying the casket.  Finally, there are two guys making sure the horse is moving along, plus making sure all the spirits are leaving, including the deceased, Hmong people say "lawd nees".  They simply say, "Mus nawd.  Txhob nyob lawm os."  Once the casket is loaded, this completes this process.

At the burial site, once the coffin is set to be lowered and buried, all the sons and loved ones are suppose to come and "plhws" or "caress and give their last good bye".  They all basically say, "we brought you to your home/house, please look upon and after us from the heavens and give us your blessings."  Once everyone is done, an elderly will come to the casket with a knife and make a small cut into the deceased's apparel etc..  He will say, "Hmab Sua txeeb koj su no, koj hais tias, koj su tag."  Next he cuts the shoes and says, "Hmab Sua txeeb koj khau, koj hais tias, koj khau ntuag."  Next he cuts the sash and says, "Hmab Sua txeeb koj sev, koj hais tias, koj sev ntuag."  This happens for practically everything given to the deceased.  The belief is that in the afterlife there will be those who may want to steal or take the deceased's belongings and this will prevent them from doing so.  Finally, the elderly will open and close the casket 3-times saying something each time, on the third and final time, he will say "tas sim neej" -- meaning "the end of all times".  Once done, the process if burying starts till completion.

The last step before everyone leaves is the cutting up of "tus nees" by a son-in-law (or "horse", it's those 5-7 sticks tied in a bundle), shooting down the moon, and setting time for the deceased to come visit the home, prior to "tso plig" which is a separate ceremony of its own.  Remember that cross bow and arrow that's been resting at the deceased side from the very beginning.  Well, this is one of the reasons why it's needed.  The arrow is loaded and shot in the air as if shooting down the moon signifying the "deceased has parted into the land of darkness".  Finally, someone tells the deceased that on three separate days, food and water, will be brought to them and that on the third day, they can enter the house of their loved one -- a son.

This concludes the 2-3 day Hmong funeral ceremony.  (I understand that I have left out subtle and/or specific details, but for the most part, everything mentioned are the KEY aspects of a traditional Hmong funeral ceremony.)  Again, if you have a specific question or inquiry, then ask, and I will do my best to clarify or explain to the best of my knowledge, experience, and insight.

Lastly, I want to "thank" lilly for asking and showing genuine interest, especially being a girl, no pun intended; otherwise I may have not been inspired to type/write all of this up.  I also want to add, that in my honest opinion and professional analysis of our culture and customs, like the lot of you, I was very ignorant, naïve, and bias up until I decided to be more open-minded and started to learn more about it.  I know a lot of you younger US-borned Hmong think Hmong culture and customs is primitive, archaic, and even backwards, or so some have said.  Trust me, you do not know how WRONG you are in making that crass nearsighted opinion.  That said, I challenged those of you who may think like this to simply learn just "one element" of Hmong culture and customs then perhaps, hopefully, it will open your eyes if not intellect and wisdom on a transcendent level.  That's just my recommendation to you -- those who are ignorant, naïve, and bias towards Hmong culture and customs.

Advertisements