Advertisement

Author Topic: Why do some people do this?  (Read 5108 times)

dis1chick

Why do some people do this?
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
They choose a major that they don't like or struggle with it and try to stick with it, just for the money? Wouldn't you want to spend the rest of your life doing something you love? Who have done this, please tell me your reasons as to why you didn't switch majors and how are you with your career now.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

supadupac

Re: Why do some people do this?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
there are different paths to where you want to go, maybe you want to be engineer and then save the money and take that money and then open up your bakery.. it's about gathering the right resources

dis1chick

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »
But why would you do that? You'll be more in debt than just going for a culinary arts degree along with a business management.. You know what I'm saying? But what I'm actually trying to understand is why do people stick with what they know they have no interest in, why do they overlook their interest for money?
there are different paths to where you want to go, maybe you want to be engineer and then save the money and take that money and then open up your bakery.. it's about gathering the right resources

supadupac

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
maybe they're just insecure i guess haha

dis1chick

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I guess that could be the case

supadupac

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
i mean you could say the same about college, you could just work passionately and get a job you like or something and no need to go to college 

Sleipnir

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
Doing what you love is important. 

But make sure it pays.

I mean, I'd love to teach kids, but getting paid 30k a year?  NO THANKS!  It's important to educate and be there for kids, but I'd rather volunteer when I can. 

I'd rather work for the industry and make 3-4 times as much. 

Money isn't everything, but believe me, making more makes life a lot easier and better.

biggieT

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:01 AM »

But make sure it pays.

I mean, I'd love to teach kids, but getting paid 30k a year?  NO THANKS!  It's important to educate and be there for kids, but I'd rather volunteer when I can. 

Money isn't everything, but believe me, making more makes life a lot easier and better.

I agree completely. I followed my passion and although I am doing great work, my pay is so-so only. Now that I am thinking about the next step in life, I sort of wish I would have stuck with bio-medical engineering instead of getting into social services. Follow the money.

Love2Kiss

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »
They choose a major that they don't like or struggle with it and try to stick with it, just for the money? Wouldn't you want to spend the rest of your life doing something you love? Who have done this, please tell me your reasons as to why you didn't switch majors and how are you with your career now.

I chose couple majors when I was in college and I ran away as soon as I didn't enjoy it. $$ means nothing for you if you don't enjoy it. Don't spend your time with something you don't like.

MilesDaddy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »
how do you know you will love it.... The likely hood of you working in your major is probably less then 50% so I say, go to college, study hard and MAKE money while you can... finding something you love is worth more then money.

dis1chick

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
how do you know you will love it.... The likely hood of you working in your major is probably less then 50% so I say, go to college, study hard and MAKE money while you can... finding something you love is worth more then money.
Agreed, finding out what you love is worth more than just banking.

But make sure it pays.

true money makes everything easier, but it's you, yourself who have to dread about going into work to so something for 8hrs knowing you would rather not be there for the rest of your life. With what you said, why did you pursue a degree and leave it at that? Why waste all that money you paid for a piece of paper that you won't even use?

I chose couple majors when I was in college and I ran away as soon as I didn't enjoy it. $$ means nothing for you if you don't enjoy it. Don't spend your time with something you don't like.

lol that's how I found out what I liked too.  O0 agreed^

Well you gotta start somewhere in your career, entry level in your career is already good. ESP while going to school. And yes I agree it is more worth it than making money.
I agree completely. I followed my passion and although I am doing great work, my pay is so-so only. Now that I am thinking about the next step in life, I sort of wish I would have stuck with bio-medical engineering instead of getting into social services. Follow the money.
lol, pay is so-so but u like it, shouldn't you feel like "you are not even working?" Because you love what your doing? Better to feel that way then reminding yourself everyday why you have to go to a job you hate.

biggieT

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »

I guess I've never been a complainer when it comes to work, so it doesn't really matter if I love what I do or not. My attitude has always been: work is to make money, so deal with it. If you have fun while you are doing it, that's even better, but you do what you have to do to survive.

I love what I do and you are right and it doesn't feel like work, but when it's pay day and I check my account, it's like.... Damn! I put in so many hours and got so much accomplished, and this is it? I don't think a student will truly understand that until they are in the real world. Go to school and live in that student bubble as long as you can!

I used to be naive too :(

dis1chick

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
I guess I've never been a complainer when it comes to work, so it doesn't really matter if I love what I do or not. My attitude has always been: work is to make money, so deal with it. If you have fun while you are doing it, that's even better, but you do what you have to do to survive.

I love what I do and you are right and it doesn't feel like work, but when it's pay day and I check my account, it's like.... Damn! I put in so many hours and got so much accomplished, and this is it? I don't think a student will truly understand that until they are in the real world. Go to school and live in that student bubble as long as you can!

I used to be naive too :(
Lol true on money when it comes to paycheck. and Actually I am currently going college and have just got my foot in the door for my career:) I can tell you though, I am much more happy going to this job then any other previous jobs that I've had. The pays ok, what can I expect when it's only entry level right? And yes I've had a both lower/higher paying job than this one. All my previous jobs I didn't complain at all, but it was the fact that I had to motivate myself to go work for something I didn't care/or feel passionate about.  And of course, everyone has to be naive at one point or another in their life ;) it can be good or bad depending on the situation.

3 Years Time

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
I wanted to be an Indiana Jones but Archaeology can only go so far. Don't get me wrong, there are jobs out there but the job opportunities aren't great. I love the field, wouldn't mind doing it for free! It's just that in the end I needed to find something with a balance, something that pays enough, something that I didn't mind doing. I might not love it, but as long as I didn't mind it was good enough for me.

In life, we sometimes don't know what we've been missing out on until it actually arrives! When I switched to Finance I never knew I'd enjoy helping people with their finances so much. I mean holy smokes, I plan to start my own business, hire a lot of employees and not just pay them but give them the option of letting me teach them what to do with their money! Teach them how to invest! It's fun I like it.

zena

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »

I agree with sleipnir too.  I'm glad I majored in business and not art although through time I wished I had majored in art because I love everything art but I'm so glad I didn't.  I used my degree for awhile and even though I didn't make very much, I know that an art degree would probably make me less for a longer period of time.

Advertisements