Advertisement

Author Topic: Explain this superstition about infants not going outside until a certain time?  (Read 2034 times)

mker

Someone I know had a baby many years ago. It was a beautiful sunny day, I was holding the baby and went outside to join a group of people hanging out. The father was outside and yelled out, "No, she's not ready! She can't come outside, she's not ready!" I felt I did something really wrong and immediately went back inside.  I never did ask about the reasoning behind this. I assume this may be a Hmong tradition or superstition-- that Hmong infants aren't suppose to be exposed to sunlight or outside until a certain time? Has anyone heard of this?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
The superstition roots in medical knowledge...wh y expose someone who has not developed an immunity to diseases.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
The superstition roots in medical knowledge...wh y expose someone who has not developed an immunity to diseases.

You are probably correct.  There was a when children die from disease left and right.  That might be how the superstition came about.  In the old days, every ten children, 5 will die. 

Advertisements