Advertisement

Author Topic: 'Modify' HIV helps young patient with Cancer  (Read 11686 times)

Zafirlukast

Re: 'Modify' HIV helps young patient with Cancer
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
I dont know why an HIV vaccine hasn't been created. In mechanisms of marking or tagging cancer cells, they could utilize that part.
There are tons of other less harmful virus that can be use for tagging.  I think these researchers and doctors are trying to gain attention and publicity of a horrendous HIV and trying to paint a positive aspect of it in rendering optimistic hopes of treating cancer.  Inject me with HIV......no.   ;D

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

prima_donna

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
There are tons of other less harmful virus that can be use for tagging.  I think these researchers and doctors are trying to gain attention and publicity of a horrendous HIV and trying to paint a positive aspect of it in rendering optimistic hopes of treating cancer.  Inject me with HIV......no.   ;D

They're not injecting patients with HIV i hope you knoe that. Theyre cultivating t-cells from patients outside of the body and introducting them to modified Hiv with package genes. More or less a different t-cell that will latch to surface protiens of cancer cells. Onces these T-cells are modified they're drip back into the patient.

Zafirlukast

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 07:53:04 PM »
They're not injecting patients with HIV i hope you knoe that. Theyre cultivating t-cells from patients outside of the body and introducting them to modified Hiv with package genes. More or less a different t-cell that will latch to surface protiens of cancer cells. Onces these T-cells are modified they're drip back into the patient.
it is still injected into the cells either way, isnt it?

Zafirlukast

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
My point isnt about the procedure, but whether using HIV is such a good idea?  Although it has been modified to do good, there is a tendency for modified viruses to turn bad.  In medicine, the common practice is to give a drug if there is an antidote to counter that drug.  There is no vaccine to counteract HIV.  And if its genetic material is introduced to where it can pick up other genetic materials to modify itself, it can mutate to a virulent form.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:21:43 PM by ZãfîR|ük@$t »

prima_donna

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
My point isnt about the procedure, but whether using HIV is such a good idea?  Although it has been modified to do good, there is a tendency for modified viruses to turn bad.  In medicine, the common practice is to give a drug if there is an antidote to counter that drug.  There is no vaccine to counteract HIV.  And if its genetic material is introduced to where it can pick up other genetic materials to modify itself, it can mutate to a virulent form.
Its already been tested in mices. From what I picked up this modify strain can't duplicate itself.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »
Now that the human DNA has been mapped, why don't they just write thier own code?   

If they find out the code to the HIV virus already, then ummm they should just genetically engineer thier own code.   

Ok pay me!

Like this post: -1
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline dianahmuas

• Elite Poster
  • i love when you love me...
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:06 AM »
Vaccines for many diseases are made of dead or disabled form of the virus.  Once the body encounters it, it forms antibody and you become immune.  However, it is impossible to inject a weaken or dead HIV and make a vaccine out it.  Because it mutates so fast, the vaccine made today will not work against it tomorrow along with the hundreds of mutated variants that exist.  The point is.... the fultility of injecting a HIV virus that don't have a vaccine and be made a vaccine out of.

like-wise the flu vaccine as you speak of in a sense...using a previous years' virus to create the next years' vaccine...in which no one really understand...b ut yes, the HIV one is completely to it's own degree...as you've mentioned above... O0 O0 O0

"Be pain, Live prosperously, Be merried"

"Live pain, Be prosperous, Live merrily"

nou

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »
Ah, Dr. Gupta is an amazing genius.  I am glad I got to meet him briefly at a conference... and also a great speaker.

You guys might want to check out CCR5 gene.  This gene is found in a few percentage of the human population in which people are immune to HIV/AIDS.  This gene is fairly new study within the last couple of years and are still under clinical trials.

There was a recent patient battling with leukemia but needed a donor with this specific gene in order to get a transplant.  The patient suddenly lost his battle last fall.

prima_donna

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
Ah, Dr. Gupta is an amazing genius.  I am glad I got to meet him briefly at a conference... and also a great speaker.

You guys might want to check out CCR5 gene.  This gene is found in a few percentage of the human population in which people are immune to HIV/AIDS.  This gene is fairly new study within the last couple of years and are still under clinical trials.

There was a recent patient battling with leukemia but needed a donor with this specific gene in order to get a transplant.  The patient suddenly lost his battle last fall.

Thanks I remember hearing about that gene. A 5% human population have it. It was thought to appear after the bubonic plague in Europe.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:06:50 PM by prima_donna »

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
Those lucky people!!!

You know if this was still the land before time this would've been Classic Darwinism at work!  All of us would've died off and they would be all that's left to start the human population!

Oh wells....

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Advertisements