Advertisement

Author Topic: Christians' way of thanking funeral funds donors.  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Christians' way of thanking funeral funds donors.
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
I attended a Christian funeral last month. I intentionally walked by the table where the family members were receiving guests who were donating money to help the family of the deceased. Each time someone brought in some money, the family members (xyom cuab in Hmong) would say,

"Thov tswv ntuj foom koob hmoov rau koj nawb."

And that would be the end of the thanks and conversation.

I have also attended many traditional, non-Christian funerals in the past. I've observed that the "thank-you" aspect of it from the family would be much more elaborate.

Just reporting some news.

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
Re: Christians' way of thanking funeral funds donors.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
Traditional thank you is much deeper. 

I gave money at the funeral and sometimes I don't want them to thank me.  so I told them I'm a Christian and that they do not need to kneel to me.  They thank me and said ua vaj tshwv tsaug. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Traditional thank you is much deeper. 

I gave money at the funeral and sometimes I don't want them to thank me.  so I told them I'm a Christian and that they do not need to kneel to me.  They thank me and said ua vaj tshwv tsaug. 

I've forgotten if the traditional way gives back like "thov kom koj tau koob tau hmoov" or something. I might have to go back to another funeral to see if that's done. But I think the Christian way of "thov vaj tswv foom koob hmoov rau koj" is a good way to give back to the donor. But if it's just thanking God for what you've given to them, then that's a different thing. ;D

"...

MovKuam

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
I've forgotten if the traditional way gives back like "thov kom koj tau koob tau hmoov" or something. I might have to go back to another funeral to see if that's done. But I think the Christian way of "thov vaj tswv foom koob hmoov rau koj" is a good way to give back to the donor. But if it's just thanking God for what you've given to them, then that's a different thing. ;D

so wrong  ;D here is the easiest way, you die I come I die you come thank you for your sunshine  :D

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »
so wrong  ;D here is the easiest way, you die I come I die you come thank you for your sunshine  :D

That would be too easy. Hmong wants things to complicated.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »

OK. That saves me a whole trip to another funeral.

Thanks.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »
That would be too easy. Hmong wants things to complicated.

I think so. A lot of times we can simplify things just by saying "thank you, we really appreciate your donation," and yet we don't stop there. We go on to say, "God must have given us good luck to have your generous heart to burden yourself to travel so far just to give us such sunshine..."

"...

TruthAboveKnowledge

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
A traditional funeral service requires a traditional "thank you" because there are so many traditional rituals to do that it requires the funds to make it happen.  Although I believe the traditional services are so much more meaningful and so much more beautiful, I'm afraid the understanding by today's shallow hmong honor system by these careless young generation are a slow death to the customs and traditions. 

As a devoted christian, it's a shame that we are taught by pastors to not "kneel" and learn about giving thanks.  Kneeling is different from worshipping, kneeling is a body gesture of being humbleness and putting on the hat of virtue.  Having respect for oneself first and foremost is a very great thing to do, but having too much pride kills that respect.

I certainly kneel when someone comes and bring offerings to support the funeral cost because that is all we have to help one another.  Our living GOD teaches us how we should all love and care for one another while we are still alive.  It is nothing to do with the dead person or thereafter, but it is specifically for the living who are to keep the meaning for one another.  This is the very nature of our LIVING GOD and the LIVING WORD.

Like this post: +1

yuknowthat

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »
Thov ntsw ntuj foom koom hmoov rau koj... tsis tshua zoo nkauj lossis zoo mloog
Personally I wouldn't say that. I would say "kuv thov kom nej tau koob tau hmoo..ua dabtsi los kom tau"

Proper and improper
The way I see it is like how I compare the elders saying thank you for donation the traditional way when they ended with.

Ex. "Yog peb tsev xyom cuab txawj ua lub neej xws li luag ces yuav nco koj tu txij tu ntsig, yog peb xyom cuab tsis txawj ua lub neej xws li luag, koj tus txij tus ntsig yuav ua nag ua tshauv thee yaj" 

This way seems very offensive or not show any form respect to those who donated and pay their respect to the deceased. Because if you are basically saying if you become sucessful one day  then you will remember them for what they have done, if not "OH well" or lus hmoob simpliest way to say "Taggggg!!! Dawb!!!!"...

HUNG TU LO

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »
I think so. A lot of times we can simplify things just by saying "thank you, we really appreciate your donation," and yet we don't stop there. We go on to say, "God must have given us good luck to have your generous heart to burden yourself to travel so far just to give us such sunshine..."

Sometimes, when you're late to a gathering with friends, you can't just say "Sorry, dude, I'm late." Sometimes, you gotta stop everything and say "Oh my goodness, guys. You cannot believe what the fukk just happened. Let me tell you..."

Sometimes, you can't just say "I caught a big fish. So anyways, onto other things..." Sometimes, you gotta be like "Dude, so the sun was high, there was a slight breeze, the feeling was right. I pulled out my favorite lure and made the most perfect cast...like 'BAM'! And then...BOOM! The fight was furious...and so on".

Advertisements