Advertisement

Author Topic: What A Waste  (Read 2006 times)

Offline lifemystery

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
What A Waste
« on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
of people's time! Why does the college still want people taking their generals when they start off college? Students have gone through their general education ever since 1st grade; not only that they want students to take courses that are not related to the student's major. For example someone who is majoring in auto mechanic has to take a history or other general courses. How is that suppose to relate towards auto mechanic?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: What A Waste
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
Trade schools will skip the unnessacary. 

The reason with those other colleges is due to their schooling is based on a philosophy...

They want to produce an educated well rounded graduate...

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
Tech school is what you are looking for. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »
Taking those extra courses is part of the idea of building holistic individuals.  Universities aren't just about learning skills. 

What's the point of graduating a student with all the skills in a particular field, but the inability to accept any errors.  How pathetic would it be to have a graduate believe that the 17th century was in the 1700s?  This person can probably still do his or her job, but they clearly lacking in other areas.  If anything, it is just embarrassing for the institution.   :2funny: 

That being said, times are probably changing.  The culture changing.  Even though universities view themselves a certain way, people may not.  The American Dream has changed.  Young people growing up today have different goals and opportunities.  The original post hints at this. 

Offline lifemystery

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
People been learning about these general courses ever since the beginning of 1st grade. Once they get into college they want students to take these general courses all over again.

What if the tech schools do offer those courses for students? Seeking a challenge in college? That is bull shit! The real challenge is not from books that cost over hundred of dollars, hours in classrooms, and from those exams but from life experiences.

Along with that there are books that cost less than those college books. I'm sure lots of those books teaches more better. People get a better understanding from them. You do not believe me! Then go to a bookstore like Barnes & Nobles, pick out random books from a particular subject and compare the pros and cons to those college book in that particular subject. Than come back and share your thoughts.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:57:04 AM by lifemystery »

minorcharacter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
I don't know which college you went to but general courses in college differ greatly from general courses in high school, middle school, etc.  Taking all those extra courses has made me a well rounded individual.  I definitely notice the difference in all my siblings comparing who went to a traditional university vs who went to a tech school.

zena

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
of people's time! Why does the college still want people taking their generals when they start off college? Students have gone through their general education ever since 1st grade; not only that they want students to take courses that are not related to the student's major. For example someone who is majoring in auto mechanic has to take a history or other general courses. How is that suppose to relate towards auto mechanic?

I loved general studies.  I'm all for the well wounded, not a computer-like human who only knows how to talk and do their work but nothing else.

Sifu

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
You have to.prove yourself by jumping through the hoops.  Generals from.HS or even collegiate levels differ.  You have to prove yourself that you are capable and willing to earn hour degree.

Advertisements