Advertisement

Author Topic: Gaming Revival  (Read 18640 times)

bulbasaur

Re: Gaming Revival
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 11:21:47 PM »
I decided to quit Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and to play Ni No Kuni.  I should give my PS3 a workout anyways.  So far, it's a mix of Earthbound and Pokemon.  It has some funky parallel worlds plot.  It's a really good looking game.  I've been playing portables, so these graphics are extraordinary in comparison. 

I've owned my PS3 for years, but Ni No Kuni is the first game I am going to play on it (other than fighting games, but they don't really count).  Talk about a gaming revival.  I should do a 360 game afterwards.  I don't even remember the last time I booted up the 360. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

minorcharacter

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
I sister bought me that game for Christmas last year.  The soundtrack is beautiful and there are a lot of moving scenes in that game.  Hopefully you enjoy it.  O0

Sifu

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
Ni No Kuni is pretty fun.  Shorter than I expected but my daughter loves it; plays like a movie.  Don't get too attached to your starting monsters; they're pretty weak late game.

I could never get into Monster Hunter series.  Reminded me of Phantasy Star Online.  Same map, same monsters, same grind.  Bored me to death.

I just finished Shadow of Mordor and Last of Us on PS4.  Playing LOU again but platinum SoM.  Shadows is a lot of fun.

bulbasaur

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
In this one town in Ni No Kuni, there is a big moving octopus on top of a food stand, and there is a big moving crab on another one.  It looks really similar to a section in Osaka.  I wonder if this is a coincidence, or if Osaka is the inspiration for this town. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
Out of boredom, I picked up some new games. 

Final Fantasy X/X2 HD Remaster.
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker

I have more games than I need, but I really liked those series.  I should play a Zelda game to see why people love it so much.  I may not start from the NES Zelda; I'll probably start with A Link to the Past and work my way up, similar to what I am doing with Final Fantasy.  I am still on Ni No Kuni.  I am still trying to get familiar with the Familiar system. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
Did you play it?  Which familiars did you use?  I can't seem to find a combination I really like. 

I sister bought me that game for Christmas last year.  The soundtrack is beautiful and there are a lot of moving scenes in that game.  Hopefully you enjoy it.  O0

minorcharacter

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »
Did you play it?  Which familiars did you use?  I can't seem to find a combination I really like.

Yes, I loved the game.  I went with the traditional tanker, dps, healing team.  I used the cat with the fencing sword all the way until the end game as my dps.  It's fast and deals a decent amount of damage.  The tin man makes for a great tank and has a skill to grab the attention of other monsters.  It can also wear some of the highest defense armors.  I constantly switched out my healer so I didn't have a main one.  The main character of the game is good for doing magic attack so I stuck with him for magic attacks. 

Later on I eventually grabbed three of those really strong dinosaurs.  You see them walking on the plateaus on the desert but don't have access to them until much later in the game.

bulbasaur

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »
I personally enjoyed Bravely Default a little bit more (but I am not finished with Ni No Kuni).  I think it has a better story.  However, if you prefer a more action style battle system, you might like Ni No Kuni more.  And yes, Ni No Kuni really reminds me of Pokemon.  I even use Pokemon terms in my head despite that the game has its own nomenclature. 

Obviously the PS3 has better graphics, but I like portable gaming.  I can bring the 3DS on planes and trains, or just leave it in the office and play here or there.  People surf their phones, but I pop open the 3DS.  With the PS3, I really have to dedicate time to actually play it.  Different strokes for different folks. 

would you guys recommend ni no kuni (ps3) or bravely default (3ds)?

I might consider buying a new game to play if gw2 expansion doesn't come out before school starts.

I tried the demo of bravely default. I loved it.  I just didn't have time to play it then with school and work.
ni no kuni from the videos i saw looks like a pokemon x tales.. combat reminds me of tales of symphonia, which i loved!
And the capture monsters them is always my favorite..

Ni No kuni is listed as 20 bucks at gamestop and Bravely Default like almost all other nintendo exclusives is 40 bucks still.

minorcharacter

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
I thought the battle system to Ni No Kuni was a bit too simple.  They could have made a more advanced version for players to hotlink a combo or skill to R2+Triangle or something similar.  The battles were supposed to be active so having to go into menus to select a skill detracted from that feeling.

The game play from Bravely Default is in a different class of it's own, and overall I enjoyed Bravely Default more.  It takes the class system to a whole new level by adding abilities from sub classes allowing you to mix and match skills.  I haven't had this much fun with preparing skills for battle use since the materia system from FF7 and the one from FF9.

Both games have great music.  The final boss battle theme music from Bravely Default is in the same league as Kefka's Dancing Mad and Sephiroth's One Winged Angel. These guys also did the theme from Attack on Titan.

https://youtu.be/3Nil0qRve4k

minorcharacter

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 02:17:42 PM »
The 3DS has limited resources so there's not much that can be done about the graphics.  It's great if you think about it in that sense.  Don't wait too long.  The sequel to Bravely Default, Bravely Second, is set to release soon!

bulbasaur

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »
Each time I am in Motorville, I try to get hit by a car.  I was finally successful and...nothing.  The car just stopped and waited. 

Love - It's what make the world go round.

bulbasaur

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
Finished Ni No Kuni.  Saved the world again...but couldn't save Mom. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
I'm not  sure which game to  play next.  I finally finished my first home console game with Ni No Kuni.  Final Fantasy 10 would be nice since I am trying to catch up with the series.  Eternal Sonata would give the 360 a workout.  I never played a game on that system.  New Mario Bros Wii and Donkey Kong Country Wii look fun.  It's been a while since I played one, but my Wii isn't even hooked up.  South Park: Stick of Truth seems like a quirky RPG.  I got the new Devil Survivor and Persona game, but I kinda want to save those for any vacation or long trip I might take later.  Or maybe I should go away from RPG's and start Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear, or Tomb Raider.  I can see what I missed from the PS1 and PS2 generation in HD. 

No fighting games for me.  They are just a side thing for me these days.  They aren't as fun since I don't want to be competitive.  The story modes in these games aren't even interesting. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
Oh, I see The Last of Us on the shelf too. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
Of those games, I only have Xenoblade for the Wii.  I don't feel like hooking up the Wii right now.  The Wii was made in the HD era, it should have shipped with HDMI.  Nothing in my setup even runs on that yellow cable anymore.  Wii games are going to have to wait until I redo my setup.  Is the Wii U backwards compatible with Wii games?  I have a Wii U, but it's still in the box. 

What about Xenoblade, Pandora's tower or The last story?

I'm waiting for xenoblade chronicles to come out. :)

Advertisements