Advertisement

Author Topic: OSX Mavericks  (Read 1643 times)

zena

OSX Mavericks
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
So I upgraded my iMac to the latest operating system, Mavericks, and my screen feels like it got larger.  I have to like shrink my photos even more, resize my PDF to a smaller size just so I can read, etc.  Is anyone having that same problem?  I guess I don't have to upgrade to a larger screen after all if Mavericks can do magic like this.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Toua

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: OSX Mavericks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
i don't use mac's, but have you checked your view/display settings? might have been set to like 150% zoom in by default.

Never risk your life for those who will not do the same...

zena

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
I'm sure it's something like that.  They hooked and reeled me in easily.

zena

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
You know that arrow that turns into a hand with the index finger up when you slide the mouse over a link?  It's so tiny and cute now.

zena

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »
wow...they added iBooks.  That means I can DL books onto my iMac and use the iCloud to read on my iphone and ipad (I don't have either yet)....LOL.  Great way to get me hooked even more, Apple, you sneaky thing you.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
you can change resolution.

zena

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Husband said the same thing...that I can change the resolution.

The thing is, I like the default smaller fonts, smaller icons, wider screen, etc.  It's really done well.  The thing is, the photos now appear much larger.  The PDF's at my usual 117% just looks extra big.  Reducing it to 100% is still pretty big but I can manage...I may down it a notch to 75%.  Not a big deal, just different.  I may have to play around with the PDF software.  As for photos, I doubt I can do anything about it.  I'm not going to download other people's photos just to make them smaller for my view.  Kidding.

Overall, I'm actually very happy with Mavericks.  It's speedy.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:15 PM »
It's a retina screen?  You can change resolution by going to System Preferences, Display, Scaled, and choose something that gives you more space.

zena

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
No.  It's just my old 21" iMac from a couple of years ago.

I do have space.  More than I need.  Everything looks so small, yet so big, too.  It's hard to describe unless you have Mavericks.  Husband said they've made it full-screen to match the ipad.  So I guess you could say I have a giant ipad in front of me.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
No.  It's just my old 21" iMac from a couple of years ago.

I do have space.  More than I need.  Everything looks so small, yet so big, too.  It's hard to describe unless you have Mavericks.  Husband said they've made it full-screen to match the ipad.  So I guess you could say I have a giant ipad in front of me.

I do have it.  But I have a retina screen.  I can it to any resolution.

zena

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
So, how do you like Mavericks?

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
No different than the previous version.  Mac OS X is the same.  I like retina screen.

zena

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Do you have a laptop or a desktop?

It's a big change for me and I had Snow Leopard before so maybe that's why.  I didn't have the one between Snow Leopard and Mavericks.  That could be why I'm obsessed with Mavericks.

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »
Do you have a laptop or a desktop?

It's a big change for me and I had Snow Leopard before so maybe that's why.  I didn't have the one between Snow Leopard and Mavericks.  That could be why I'm obsessed with Mavericks.

I have a laptop with a retina screen.  I could change the resolution so that the text become so small I can hardly read.  The resolution of this laptop is higher than a 24 inch screen.  It's more like a 27 inch screen or a 30 inch screen packed into a 15 inch screen.

zena

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
I C.  I think since your laptop already was made to be wide screen, the changes on your end weren't that big of a deal.  Mine was not wide screen initially.  I believe the review said the Mavericks went with wide screen for that operating system.  Imagine having the 27"!  :o

Btw, I've seen the retina laptops (I visit the Apple store at least once or twice a month).  They are pretty cool.

Advertisements