Advertisement

Author Topic: Homeless man raises girl he found in a BIN as his own daughter  (Read 10976 times)

Toumeng

A HOMELESS man who found a baby girl in a BIN seven years ago has raised her as his own daughter ever since.

By Andy Wells/Published 16th June 2014

Xiong Jianguo found the the baby while he was searching for food when he heard the unmistakeable cries of a newborn baby.

She had been wrapped up in a blanket and was lying in a box – and from that moment he decided to raise her as his daughter.

Naming her Yanyan, the girl is now seven-years-old and the pair live under a bridge in Simamiao, China.

Xiong, 50, revealed: "I guess she was one of those children that was born to a family who didn't want a girl.

"I had lifted the top off the rubbish bin and was looking to see if there are any plastic bottles I could sell to recycle when I heard a baby.

"She was in a box in a blanket and I was absolutely stunned.

"She was so helpless that I bought a bottle and fed her, and I just knew then that I wanted to look after her and raise her."

Despite the added pressures of raising a child on his own and without a home, Xiong has managed to teach the girl to read and write with the help of some homeless pals.

Yanyan has also learned basic maths and recites numerous poems to entertain other homeless people under the bridge.

Xiong added: "She is really bright, she learns very quickly.

"Life here on the streets is not easy but she never complains."

Yanyan admitted that finding food can be difficult – but she always gets a treat on her birthday.

She said: "Whatever happens, every year on my birthday which is the day he found me I get a small cake, and a trip to a photo studio so that my picture can be taken when I get a get a birthday present, and so I can have a memory of the day."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/384088/Homeless-Xiong-Jianguo-adopted-daughter-Yanyan-bin

Like this post: +3

Adverstisement

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Re: Homeless man raises girl he found in a BIN as his own daughter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
Wow.  It's a wonderful story but I'm so sad now.   Why do they have to be homeless?  It makes me angry at the greedy ones with millions and all the millions with nothing.  :'(

Like this post: 0

Sydney

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Its very heart warming reading this article.  I wonder if we can send donation to this man and child.

Offline jon_jon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +159
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:39 PM »
In this day and age, people are still homeless?... Isn't it 2K...

What happens is that people feel entitled to something and fall into greed.

"One does not sell the land people walk on." --Crazy Horse

“our worlds collided and in an instant your ocean had color because of my sky.”

—r.m. drake

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
In this day and age, people are still homeless?... Isn't it 2K...

What happens is that people feel entitled to something and fall into greed.

"One does not sell the land people walk on." --Crazy Horse

There are homeless because people stole all the land and claimed the land as theirs and started making people pay to live on the land.  Who the hell gave them the land?  Did God write down a contract and say I chose you to own this land and you may make the future generation pay for this land?  Crazy horse was right. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »
Its very heart warming reading this article.  I wonder if we can send donation to this man and child.

I'm sure you can. And I'm sure they'll accept donations, too.

Would you like me to track the contact info down? I could if you are serious.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Sydney

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
yes, do share the info once you track it down.  thanks.

Missterious

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »

Track it down!

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:38 AM »
Wow.  It's a wonderful story but I'm so sad now.   Why do they have to be homeless?  It makes me angry at the greedy ones with millions and all the millions with nothing.  :'(

Why are you calling people with money greedy? It's not their role to provide a home and food for this man. Your pity does nothing for him and even if you could treat him to lunch for just one day that is only one meal. What this man needs is an opportunity to provide for himself under better conditions. The smarter question to ask is how can China create more opportunities for their people? - AND not the lame entitlement programs we have going on in the United States.

Track down the info of the other thousands of homeless people in China, too. I'm sure these generous PHers are eagerly waiting to donate.  :2funny:

sam

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »
To some people...stop being so greedy and so selfish.  Ask your parents or grandparents, who supplied their needs while in the refugee camp?  Clean water, clothes, foods, shelter and security.  Ask them who paid their way to this country?  Ask them who provided financial support when they first arrived in this country?  Only a few families had the opportunity to work when they first came.  Love others like some people have loved you.  We can't do to all but we have the power to do to at least one.  Don't ever think that you will not go homeless, tomorrow is never promise to anyone.  Anything can happen anywhere and anytime.  If it can happen to others, you might not be exempt too.  Reach out when you see people in need.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »
To some people...stop being so greedy and so selfish.  Ask your parents or grandparents, who supplied their needs while in the refugee camp?  Clean water, clothes, foods, shelter and security.  Ask them who paid their way to this country?  Ask them who provided financial support when they first arrived in this country?  Only a few families had the opportunity to work when they first came.  Love others like some people have loved you.  We can't do to all but we have the power to do to at least one.  Don't ever think that you will not go homeless, tomorrow is never promise to anyone.  Anything can happen anywhere and anytime.  If it can happen to others, you might not be exempt too.  Reach out when you see people in need.

This was a very touching story and I applaud those who want to reach out and help. However, why they gotta call everybody else greedy while doing so? Can't they just help without the side comments? It doesn't make them a saint or anything just because they want to send a few dollars to this guy.  ::)

Sydney

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »
The thought of giving and sharing has demonstrated that many of our people can be merciful and giving when time calls for measurement.  I'm glad to see that humanity is alive among some of us.  If a disaster strikes, I can sure count on our Hmong folks, right?"  O0

MeetSomeOne

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
once in a great while, someone special comes along.  let's us pitch in some $$$ and send to him and her.  shall we?

indeed, a story of such not only touches the heart but spirit and soul as well so sincerely...

ncokoj08

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:19:48 AM »
Bless his heart! So amazing and touching. I got teary eyes reading this story. :'(

kuj xa nyiaj mus pab nkaws los pob.

Lyn Song

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 04:07:12 AM »
Lyn is happy that there is still hero out there. Lyn wish both of them the very best. O0

Advertisements