Advertisement

Author Topic: Thou shalt not shake the hand of a hmong female  (Read 4292 times)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Thou shalt not shake the hand of a hmong female
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »
Of all the hmong invitations that I have ever been to, even myself, I have not witnessed any hmong guys entering a house, a party, a gathering where they would reach out and shake the hand of a female hmong there. 

Why is that?

I just don't do it because I copy what the people and their culture be doing first.  Maybe we don't know who that female belongs to so thou shalt not touch what is not ours? 

Like this post: 0
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: Thou shalt not shake the hand of a hmong female
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Greetings
People greet each other verbally and men shake hands. Shaking hands is a new behavior for Hmong women and they may be embarrassed shaking hands with a male or holding hands too tightly during a handshake. Traditionally, Hmong women who are close to each other share hugs as that of American greetings. When a person visits a family, all members of the family are expected to greet the guest by saying welcome ("koj tuaj los" which literally means "you have come"). When the guest leaves, they are encouraged to come back and visit ("mus hos tuaj").

http://ethnomed.org/culture/hmong/hmong-cultural-profile

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Of all the hmong invitations that I have ever been to, even myself, I have not witnessed any hmong guys entering a house, a party, a gathering where they would reach out and shake the hand of a female hmong there. 

Why is that?

I just don't do it because I copy what the people and their culture be doing first.  Maybe we don't know who that female belongs to so thou shalt not touch what is not ours? 

Sad really. We shake hands, high fives, and even give Hmong women hugs when it's appropriate to do so. I've also seen the do not touch or even talk to or make eye contact and walk like a robot (arms straight down) type in the past too.

mronline

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »

Why is that?

We came a long ways but we  still do have long ways to go......

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »

Why is that?

Any physical contact between a man and a woman is the initiation towards a bed scene between the two. The Hmong are just not rushing that scene. Hence, the tradition of not shaking hands between the two sexes.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +456
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
Just because shaking hands is not a greeting gesture in the Hmong culture does not make the Hmong primitive or outdated. The Hmong have their own customs for greeting each other. 

MovKuam

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »

Why is that?

so is ok to shake a vietnamese woman hand when meet her.....

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
Not only can you not shake the hand of a hmong woman, you must not look her in the eye.  Must veer eye balls away from her when speaking with her.   :2funny:

FetishDream

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »

so is ok to shake a vietnamese woman hand when meet her.....

Yes, sophisticated viets play like the french.  U can even pet them on the head like a pet.  Results may vary. 

FetishDream

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »
Not only can you not shake the hand of a hmong woman, you must not look her in the eye.  Must veer eye balls away from her when speaking with her.   :2funny:

Might as well ignore her n go straight to her husband for a greet n goodbye. 

MovKuam

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Might as well ignore her n go straight to her husband for a greet n goodbye.

Look at Obama for example if you're greeting a Hmong woman and her husband will just smile like that  ;DO0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »

Sad but True. Even some spouses have issues looking at each others' eyes when conversing...

r3b1rth

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:54 PM »
Because Hmong people aren't used to it and it's awkward for them, I only do it to people I'm close to. I don't think handshakes are necessary for greeting in the Hmong culture when it comes to men/women. We say, "tua los?" and it's enough.

You know what I really don't like though. I don't like it when people give weak handshakes. I can tell they're not used to handshaking and don't know how to do it.

Stybic_Kemaka

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 11:50:43 PM »
When all Hmong man big heart like everyone here we not only shake but cheeky as well lol

Advertisements