Advertisement

Author Topic: invest in seminar edcuation or college degree  (Read 1720 times)

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
invest in seminar edcuation or college degree
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
I have been looking at seminars for continuing my education vs going back to college.  The pros is that its much cheaper and only one to two days.  There are more social networking and professionals to learn from. Classes count toward college credit.  Cons is expense of travel, not a degree and have to get recertified every three years.  Any accounting or payroll expertise in here ? What are your thoughts ?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: invest in seminar edcuation or college degree
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34:39 AM »
I don't see why doing both isn't an option.  However, if you must choose one...

If time dedication is not a factor, going back to school is probably better.  In the long run, it may even end up being the cheaper option.  If time dedication is a factor, then the choice is obvious. 

On a side note, lots of things can "beat" a degree.  Experience.  Networking.  Expertise.  Self-employment.  Just to name a few.  Similarly, a degree can "beat" those other things too.  Neither one of these things are necessarily better, but they are helpful in their own way. 

Offline lost_forever

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »
Nothing beats a degree.  It's advice I keep telling myself that I'll do it once I settle down.

its tough without a degree.

I don't see why doing both isn't an option.  However, if you must choose one...

If time dedication is not a factor, going back to school is probably better.  In the long run, it may even end up being the cheaper option.  If time dedication is a factor, then the choice is obvious. 

On a side note, lots of things can "beat" a degree.  Experience.  Networking.  Expertise.  Self-employment.  Just to name a few.  Similarly, a degree can "beat" those other things too.  Neither one of these things are necessarily better, but they are helpful in their own way. 

Thank you for your reply. Time and money is the factor. In this case, I'm not getting any younger and going back to school may seem like the best choice.  Getting the certificate will also boost my chance of getting into bigger companies.  Wish me luck.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
I think you're better off going back to school and then once you get a job.  You can slowly just get those certification.

Advertisements