Advertisement

Author Topic: Finding your roots  (Read 5662 times)

chidorix0x

Re: Finding your roots
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 09:17:28 AM »
@ chidorix0x: I do agree with you that it's tales that has been passed down from generation to generation with no known fact until proven, like getting a DNA. Don't get me wrong either. My family and I love to be Hmong. It's just interesting to dig deeper to know where my ancestors came from (now that "Soung" is unknown besides "kong/koo").

My question is, does anybody know their history of their two surnames?

Based on what little (arguably a lot in general) from what I do know (have researched) regarding known and documented historically and to-date scholarships of Hmong surnames (clans) and Chinese-centric surnames, the "Soung" surname is NOTHING but a re-imagining (late 20th century to 21st century) of "Xyooj"; exactly like "Song".  That is pretty obvious. (At least to me, it is!)  Take away the "U" and it screams "Song", of which there is no such surname/clan in Hmong, or Chinese, inherently except re-imaginings etc..  (And "NO", the XiongNu, or "Soung" if anyone wants to try and STRETCH it, are not Chinese, per Disney's Mulan animation and factual Chinese historical records.  The XiongNu, were in fact, foreign invaders that the Chinese eventually eradicated into extinction 1000s of years ago.  True, some XiongNu MIXED-bred descendants may have survived and likely wer assimilated (enslaved) into the Chinese populace -- but not pure XiongNu.)

Let me be frank, blunt, and brutally "honest"; however, do not let this discourage you, Surikoo2078, or anyone else from researching your root (ancestry) with due diligence.  And hopefully your/anyone else's "research" is more grounded in sound scholarships versus hear-say "tales" from parents, grandparents, or even great grandparents -- especially if it (the "tales") cannot be validated whatsoever, as there are a lot of Hmong "tales" of every imagination nowadays.  So again, I am of the "belief" that the "Soung" surname is equivalent to all the RE-IMAGINED Ha'Mung surnames the likes of "Thor, King, Wang/Vaungh, Lord/Lowd, Vu/Wu, Yan, LyFong, BliaLor, Li/Ly, Cha/Chanetc..  And of course "Song", and/or "Soung" too.  That is my honest opinion/conclusion -- per my own personal knowledge-base and amateurish scholarly research -- based on both the Hmong community and Western academia.  Before all the HA'Mung re-imaginings, the exclusive, better-known (inherent), and more/most popular Hmong surname (clans) are, were, and in fact the 18-Hmong Clan surnames (clans); Xiong, Vang, Yang, Lee, Vue, Lor, Kong, Chang, Kue, Thao etc..  That is fact.

Yes, I know the exact history of both my family surnames (clans); that of my mother and father.  Both clan have laid claims to Chinese-ancestry/descendants too.  But I know that is just "tales" -- just your basic Hmong affinity with the Chinese.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline duckwingduck

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +172
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:18:10 AM »
Is there a group of Hmong who claim their great grand mother was a monkey?  I guess the stories are difficult to verify.

chidorix0x

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »
Is there a group of Hmong who claim their great grand mother was a monkey?  I guess the stories are difficult to verify.

Actually, there is!  NO JOKE!

(Why don't you go and find out (research it) and come back and tell us.  NO JOKE! )

Hint:  It is one of the Hmong clan that has this very fascinating "folklore" of/about their "mother" (or ancestor/great grandmother) being a monkey (ape).  (Of course they will not openly admit it, but that is their "folklore", whether they will admit it or not -- fact or fiction.  Some, of this clan, may not even know their own ancestry -- "origin/ancestry folklore".  Most Hmong, namely seasoned elders, all know this "folklore" quite well though.)  I could tell the "tale", but then I'd be accused of lying, discriminating, and making up nonsense, so go and see if you can get it directly from the "horse's mouth" -- the specific clan.  Good luck!

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »
Actually, there is!  NO JOKE!

(Why don't you go and find out (research it) and come back and tell us.  NO JOKE! )

Hint:  It is one of the Hmong clan that has this very fascinating "folklore" of/about their "mother" (or ancestor/great grandmother) being a monkey (ape).  (Of course they will not openly admit it, but that is their "folklore", whether they will admit it or not -- fact or fiction.  Some, of this clan, may not even know their own ancestry -- "origin/ancestry folklore".  Most Hmong, namely seasoned elders, all know this "folklore" quite well though.)  I could tell the "tale", but then I'd be accused of lying, discriminating, and making up nonsense, so go and see if you can get it directly from the "horse's mouth" -- the specific clan.  Good luck!

I guess this one isn't very well known to some because, at least to my knowledge, the clan isn't exactly throwing it out there. I guess those who do know, knows and those who don't know, won't know. At least not from me, I won't be throwing the name of the clan out there anytime soon.

chidorix0x

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
I guess this one isn't very well known to some because, at least to my knowledge, the clan isn't exactly throwing it out there. I guess those who do know, knows and those who don't know, won't know. At least not from me, I won't be throwing the name of the clan out there anytime soon.

True, because no one (clan) wants to admit to some/any of their shame, guilt, or idiosyncrasies/oddities. They prefer it to go the way of the "dinosaurs" -- become extinct, and nothing but a lost memory.

Most, especially US-Hmong (new gens), has absolutely no clue/knowledge of such things period whatsoever.  In time, these types of Hmong-lore (tales/folklore -- possibly even truths) will be deemed "fabricated", or tall tales (made up), when in fact historically they were pretty common everyday knowledge (insight).  That is not to say they were undeniably true, but more so well-known and common knowledge among practically every Hmong throughout the Hmong community.  (It is such a shame that within the next 100 years, or less, US-Hmong will believe, or claim they are Americans (White Caucasians) -- LOL!  Some ignorant US-Hmong are even making that very claim nowadays -- LMAO!)

Advertisements