Advertisement

Author Topic: Aren't genuine hmong green supposed to have an accent?  (Read 13816 times)

Missterious

Aren't genuine hmong green supposed to have an accent?
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »
I've heard some people who are green but they speak green like they are white. And then ive heard greens that speak with a really pronounced accent.

For example, some say "tag" but aren't they supposed to sound like "taag"

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

chidorix0x

Re: Aren't genuine hmong green supposed to have an accent?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
"Ignorance is bliss."

Short answer:  Greens wanna-be White.  (Kind of like US-Hmong wanna be "ghetto", or whitewashed. Same logic.)

(Truthfully, the Greens will adamantly deny this and make any/all sorts of allegations/accusations.  It is their right -- or Green pride.  Plus, this is not something NEW, as it has already been heavily discussed, debated, contested, and YES, even intellectually researched/amended without much of any kind of compromise, or overall neutrality/agreement, over several decades now.)

Surikoo2078

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
I'm Hmong green. Now what is surprising to me is, not too long ago, I heard the word, "Txwv" spoken in Green. For example, "Kuv nam hab txwv moog ua teb" instead of "Kuv nam hab txiv moog ua teb".

Missterious

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
I'm Hmong green. Now what is surprising to me is, not too long ago, I heard the word, "Txwv" spoken in Green. For example, "Kuv nam hab txwv moog ua teb" instead of "Kuv nam hab txiv moog ua teb".

You mean you never knew that txwv was green for txiv?  The thing is not only is it txwv but it has a very pronounced accent almost chinese like and using the throat to say it.

Surikoo2078

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
You mean you never knew that txwv was green for txiv?  The thing is not only is it txwv but it has a very pronounced accent almost chinese like and using the throat to say it.

Unfortunately yes. I've never knew that until I asked my parents. "Txwv" does sound chinese and it was very interesting for me to know this. Growing up, I was in a cultural shock and became more Americanize. I admit, I lost some of my Hmong culture and language through my young years. Now for 7+ yrs, I am gradually gaining them back by reading, speaking in Hmong green and white, and asking more questions about Hmong from elders, etc. The more I learn about Hmong, the more I respect it. There are some things I do not agree of our cultural practices and etc, but it is a history that defined us. For sure I would take the "good" pieces and pass it to my future children and make them learn Green and White, but for sure, I want them to know they are Green Hmong (if I marry a green man lol). If not, at least for them to know they have 50% of green in them.

chidorix0x

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »

That is correct.

The Green Dialect has their own unique vocabulary for certain words:  nam=niam, txwv=txiv, puab=kuv, mej=nej/lawd, quam puj=poj niam(wife), haas=hais, le/led=li/lid etc. for example, from that of the White Dialect.  Do not expect US-Green Hmong (especially the kids; those born here) to even be remotely aware of this knowledge (fact).  It is not just the Green "accent" alone that makes Green unique/different.

As mentioned, Green has mimicked (copied/integrated) White for decades if not hundreds of years -- having lost their native language (vocabulary) more or less.  And arguably it is not just the "spoken language" either that the Green have borrowed (copied/integrated) from the White.

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Dude, don't be spreading false information around like that.  You are doing a great disservice to your own Moob community by saying something that is not true.  Green dialect speakers have been mimicking/copying white dialect for decades?  Really?  Where/who did you get this information from? 

Offline thehotone

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
I believe the Green dialect is the original dialect.

minorcharacter

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

I don't know what you just said, but keep talking.  ;)

Surikoo2078

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »
I don't know what you just said, but keep talking.  ;)

Sim Neej Aws...........

chidorix0x

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Dude, don't be spreading false information around like that.  You are doing a great disservice to your own Moob community by saying something that is not true.  Green dialect speakers have been mimicking/copying white dialect for decades?  Really?  Where/who did you get this information from?

Then who and what race (ethnicity) that speaks/spoke FLUENT/authentic White Hmong (words/language) were the Green Mong mimicking/copying/echoing then eh -- for decades if not hundreds of years?  The Chinese?  The Vietnamese?  The Burmese?  The Laotians?  The Thais?  Oh yeah, definitely the Americans (Brits, French, Italians, Spaniards etc.).  Right.  Right.  Epic fail ... hehehe.

FACT: niam, txiv, koj, peb, kuv, etc. ARE all White Hmong words -- NOT Green Mong originally, or innately/inherently -- which the Green Mong have mimicked, copied, echoed, and used for 10-100+ years. But believe whatever you want.

chidorix0x

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
I believe the Green dialect is the original dialect.

On the surface (mere observation) alone, it would seem that is a plausible hypothesis, but sound global awareness would argue otherwise.  As a matter of fact, Western and Eastern scholars (researchers; Hmong and non-Hmong) have claimed differently.  That is, the Green dialect IS NOT the original language of the Hmong/Mong (Miao=Hmong-Chinese).

Offline joot

• Jr. Poster
  • Lonewolf & Cub
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
You are wrong. I don't know where you got your information, but it is not correct.  You have not cited your sources.  Global researchers, my ass.  You and yourself  does not constitute a global opinion.

chidorix0x

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
You are wrong. I don't know where you got your information, but it is not correct.  You have not cited your sources.  Global researchers, my ass.  You and yourself  does not constitute a global opinion.

Well, since I am wrong about my (this) "FACT" (theory/argument) -- that the Green dialect/language IS NOT the original language of the Hmong/Mong (Miao=Hmong-Chinese) -- per your ignorance; which any sound Hmong academic, or non-Hmong, can easily cite/research, why don't you CITE yours that claims, or shows and proves, that the "Green dialect is the original language", if that is truly your belief.  (To my knowledge, there is NO (zero) work, study, research, or any creditable scholar(s)/person even remotely alluding to this hypothesis whatsoever except Green Mong hearsay -- that is Green pride period, nothing more.)

One thing that is sure (or can be scientifically/empirically proven), is that Green Mong; the language and the people are not, and IS NOT anything remotely genuine, that is the ORIGINAL, or ancestral bloodline of the Hmong/Mong/Hmong-Chinese.  The scientific/empirical data (facts) actually (arguably) says the complete opposite.  Yes, this/these published academics can be cited/researched, of and within Western and Eastern scholars/researchers -- Hmong and non-Hmong alike.

But since you asked, I'll entertain the inquiry and name one of many known scholars/researchers who have argued/claimed that the "Green Hmong -- the language and its people" ARE NOT the original/authentic Hmong/Mong/Hmong-Chinese.  It is that Hmong-Aussie guy, for starters.  (Surely you must know this Aussie Hmong guy?)  As for a non-Hmong, N. Tapp comes to mind, for starters.  (Now go do your diligence, at researching these well-known scholarships, and learn (universal) FACT from (Green) fiction.  Ua tsaug.)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »

Don't hold your breath. If you have time, visit the "Are Hmong ways of marrying too complicated?" thread in the marriage forum and you'll see that "Ruam" Chlorox like to beat his chest and act like a know it all but he can't back up any of his stupid ignorant epic fail claims.  ;D

Advertisements