Advertisement

Author Topic: Special Education Aide  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Special Education Aide
« on: December 11, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the process of getting a license? Do you need a degree or do you just apply for the license? I know each state has different requirements.

Like this post: 0
"Noj zaub yuav rau roj, ua neeg nyob yuav tsum ua siab loj"

Adverstisement

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Special Education Aide
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
not sure. I know you need a MSW then experience and more courses to get PPSC which basically allows you to work as a school social worker (something I think is definitely needed and funded).

This is what it says.

Special Education Program Aide License

Any person employed by a school district as a special education program aide must hold a Special Education Program Aide License issued by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI).  These licenses are valid for five years.

Note that the DPI does not license regular education classroom aides or paraprofession als. Educators who hold a valid and current DPI license or permit may work as a special education program aide under their DPI license. The valid DPI license or permit is acceptable for state categorical aide reimbursement for districts.
License Application Requirements

To apply for a Special Education Program Aide license:

Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
    Application must be requested by employing school district administrator.

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
o.

So you have to basically work for the district/school. then they ask you to get the license to do more work?
never heard that one..  but i'm in Cali so things may be different and I'm not sure if the PPSC is nationwide or Cali only.

Yeah i work for the district but I'm through a temp. I've seen things change if you get this license. When a position (lets say) Instructional Assistant opens up. If you have the license, you have a chance to get directly hired on with benefits, and all those goodies. Now temps have the worst benefits to get. That includes all the medical and other benefits.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
not sure. I know you need a MSW then experience and more courses to get PPSC which basically allows you to work as a school social worker (something I think is definitely needed and funded).

What you're saying is for school counselor which you do need a master degree and also passed ppsc.  Most will have a Master in School Psychology or Counseling.  I actually have 3 uncles with a school psychology degree working as school counselor or either school psychologist in Fresno.   Whatever it very related and taken additional courses. 

He's only talking about a special education aide which is probably no different than a teacher aide but because they worked with special Ed students then it might just required for that person to be licensed and take the appropriate measure or classes to handle those students.  Trust me student in special Ed are not easy to be around with.  My sister has been a special education teacher for 6 year and some of the special education aide assisting her and other teacher she know can't handle the pressure or environment of these students.  They give my sister a lot of credit for being able to do it while they quit.   

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 05:25:57 PM »
Yeah i work for the district but I'm through a temp. I've seen things change if you get this license. When a position (lets say) Instructional Assistant opens up. If you have the license, you have a chance to get directly hired on with benefits, and all those goodies. Now temps have the worst benefits to get. That includes all the medical and other benefits.

You already worked for the school district so why not just go take the classes so you can get the license/certificate to be a special education aide.  How many classes or unit required?  You got your foot in the door so most likely you will get the job or any open they have.  Special education student from what I know are not easy to handle and difficult at time.  Which is why they need special education aide to help assist in the classroom along with the teacher. 

Any question let me know I can always direct it to my sister who is a special Ed teacher for 6 yrs. 

Here instructional aide is consider just teacher assistant mostly to help assist in preschool and Kindergarten classroom.  Special education aide need the license because it specific for working and assisting the teacher in special education classroom. 

Offline Risingstars

• PH Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »
Yea, I work with all sorts of kind of students from all walks of life. Some are okay to handle, some are very emotional, some are handle with other staff because one person can't handle. You have to know how to handle stressful situations when working with kids. But sometimes when I look at how situations are handle, Special Aides need to get paid double of what teachers make. Teachers usually work in larger groups as for aides they work specifically with different types of students.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the process of getting a license? Do you need a degree or do you just apply for the license? I know each state has different requirements.

Yeah, best to check with each state's requirements and school unified district's procedures ...and most if not all the needed info is readily available on the net.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:51:23 PM »
oh.

I give much props and respect to your sister. It looks very tough to handle physically and mentally. I've heard stories from classmates when they worked with Autistic kids, it's harsh. alot of painful moments with biting and whatnot.

It is why I don't know how my sister can do it.  It depend on the student you get because some are severe and some are minor.  It's still challenging to deal with but my sister said she averaged 15 student the most. 

Autism child I don't know much about them but one of my brother is a supervisor at a non profit agency that deal with autism founded by one of UCLA Professor.  I guess that how he got the job and then my sister after she finished college worked there but didn't like it so she went back to get her BSN. 

Yea, I work with all sorts of kind of students from all walks of life. Some are okay to handle, some are very emotional, some are handle with other staff because one person can't handle. You have to know how to handle stressful situations when working with kids. But sometimes when I look at how situations are handle, Special Aides need to get paid double of what teachers make. Teachers usually work in larger groups as for aides they work specifically with different types of students.

That like saying how CNA should get paid as good as LVN or RN because they do the crap that gross them vs. RN just doing routine check up. 

Advertisements