Advertisement

Author Topic: Help with Studying Abroad  (Read 2368 times)

tyang19

Help with Studying Abroad
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Hello everyone,
I have a question about funding for studying abroad.  I currently live in NC and i'm in my last year of college.  I have to study abroad to be able to graduate.  I have chosen to study in Chiang Mai, Thailand but I'm struggling with funding for my program.  I have looked into Scholarships and Financial aid but I am concern that i wont be able to fund for my study abroad program. If there is anything that you all would suggest for a young college student to do for help, please let me know.  I have set up a gofundme account but i've had so success so far... If i can't study abroad then i dont graduate... I really want to be able to study abroad and to see and experience first hand what it might have been like to live in Thailand.  Please if you can, please guide me in the right direction.  Or if you can please help me out.  Anything will be great.  Thanks in advance.

www.gofundme.com/studyinthailand

Toukeng Yang

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Help with Studying Abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »
I'd  help, but I am already helping another guy with a similar issue in another thread. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
My sister did one year in Thailand but not sure if it was part of graduating or just to explored being a exchange/international student. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
Try your college financial aids office. Schools that require such studies have the money for them.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

dust

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
Wth? I was going to say. I thought I replied to this thread already. I see OP posted the same thread in three different forums.

Too bad he hasn't come back to address the questions I had in the other thread.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
All you need is to get a plane ticket there...

and as long as you can have someone support you with like 400-500 a month, well you'll be living like a king over there.

I would just recommend taking out a loan.  Like a 20-25 g loan for a year if that's how long you are going to study there. 

10k for a semester if it's just a semester.

IT's ok if you go in debt, just file bankruptcy!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
OH wow, you're just looking for 5k?  Well just go make a loan!  5k is pennies nowadays!

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

dust

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
All you need is to get a plane ticket there...

and as long as you can have someone support you with like 400-500 a month, well you'll be living like a king over there.

I would just recommend taking out a loan.  Like a 20-25 g loan for a year if that's how long you are going to study there. 

10k for a semester if it's just a semester.

IT's ok if you go in debt, just file bankruptcy!

Things don't add up in the story.

Most schools have an International Office which provides students with assistance with study abroad. Why is the OP asking for $5,000? Most schools work with universities abroad to ensure that credits transfer correctly and to make it easier, students typically do not have to pay above their current school tuition to study abroad.....Unl ess it is not through an approved school program. On the link, OP wrote that he is an international business major and is in his final year and will not graduate unless he goes abroad. How strange is it that he is waiting until senior year to complete this? Most students study abroad in their sophomore and junior year because they know there are certain courses that must be taken senior year. Then there's the question of how going to Thailand is even going to be beneficial to OP's major. He states that he needs to money in traveling to Hmong villages. What kind of business class will be going to visit Hmong villages in Thailand and why isn't that included in the tuition? Airfare (at least from LAX should also be included.)

This mostly sounds like a semester to learn more about Hmong people (based on what OP himself wrote). While there is nothing wrong with that, it's  rather misleading if he says it's pertinent to his major.

More importantly, OP hasn't mentioned what he has done to try and make this semester happen. Has he applied for scholarships? Has he saved any money whatsoever (no matter how small the amount)? Is he doing any personal fundraising?

I don't want to sound judgmental, but I've studied abroad before, and I definitely did not need money on top of my tuition. I've seen others asking for money to study abroad or go abroad before, but usually they are also doing side fundraising whether it be a dinner party or selling eggrolls.

Like this post: +1

minorcharacter

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »
Toukeng, you seem like a nice guy, you really do.  However as wanderlust pointed out there are many holes in this.  I'm not saying you're trying to use unclear language or trying to deceive us, however perhaps you can be more upfront about a few things.  My guess is that you come from a similar family background as many of us here, and in that case I am also guessing that your trip is already fully funded through loans and grants and this is just to help pay back loans or to serve as a backup. 

Either way your needs dictate the funding you get from your school to help with tuition and they will adjust or find you suitable alternatives if studying abroad is required.  Essentially your your trip will be fully funded if you applied at your school's office for studying abroad.  All schools will make sure their students get enough to fully cover all minimal expenses. 

PS $5,000 is a lot of money and you can live off on a fraction of that in Thailand.  If you want to get the benefit of the doubt you should put up your school name and the program so people can look into the cost themselves.  Please don't think that Hmoob tsis xav pab Hmoob, but yog kuv pab koj ces kuv xav paub kuv txoj kev pab yuav coj koj deb npaum li cas.

PPS $5,000 is also the usual amount I see going for bride price.  If this is really just a front and you need money to help with bride price then nug zoo zoo xwb. Tij laug minor yog ib tus neeg siab zoo heev  ;)

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:36:09 AM »
I'm sure there is international student waiver, etc. 

If you really want to talk to someone then I have the right person for you to contact.  He's a good friend of my husband and also in charge of international student office here at the local college.  I'm sure he know how it is like to be a international student as he study aboard as some of the early Hmong educator who has been to France and Australia. 

Advertisements