Advertisement

Author Topic: The Street Fighter Diaries  (Read 10224 times)

bulbasaur

The Street Fighter Diaries
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
1.  The Mall.  A place for cheap wines and overpriced fake Chinese food.  A place for people to buy a new pair of jeans after eating a bit too much during the Christmas break.  A place to be used for a date because you're too lazy to think of anything else more creative.  The mall has become a sad shell of its once former glory.  What glory you may ask?  Street Fighter.

If going from Pong to Mario was jump for games, then going from Mario to Street Fighter was a giant leap.  Lines of quarters decorated the Street Fighter arcade cabinets.  Each player waiting for their turn to be the king.  Each king waiting to see how many foes they can take down.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't have enough quarters to compete.  Instead, I had to settle for the home versions...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Sifu

Re: The Street Fighter Diaries
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
People used to laugh when I picked Gief in SFII/Turbo.  Then I got banned from local arcade tourneys because the spinning pile driver was too real.  So I started playing more Dhalsim and damn people took gaming too serious.

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:56:37 PM »
2. The Pattern Shoto.

Like most people, I started learning with the Shoto fighters.  For me, I liked Ken.  The slightly longer range on the DP worked for me.  Also, he's probably one of the cheesiest characters out there.  If you have decent reflexes and decent executions, a pattern Shoto can beat up most scrubs.  In fact, many pattern Shoto fighters think they are really good because they are able to beat up a lot of scrubs.   

My pattern Shoto was first broken by Honda.  Honda typically has problems with Shotos.  There is the typical fireball-sweep range.  When I lost, I thought it was just an aberration.  But then, the Honda player proceeded to beat a few more Shoto fighters.  He finally got bored and switched to Boxer.  Boxer was actually the guy's #1, and he proceeded to destroy all pattern Shotos.   

At the height of my Street Fighting days, I used Ryu.  I was still most comfortable with the Shoto moves, and Ryu was the more well-rounded character.  Ken was still more fun, but Ryu is better for handling whatever may show up.  I always wished I learned the other characters better, but by the time I realized how the game should be played, I had other things in my life to focus on. 

I always judged a character (and player) by how they handled a pattern Shoto.  If you ever played the game on the highest difficulty, a pattern Shoto has problems with certain characters.  Two of those characters are Dee Jay and T. Hawk.  If you totally zone them, you can win.  But, if you actually try to fight them, it is much harder.  For years, people said these characters were awful.  However, I always had a feeling that they were good because they handled a pattern Shoto well.  Of course, I couldn't argue against the people who said Dee Jay and T.Hawk sucked because I couldn't play them.  Afters 20 some years, Dee Jay and T. Hawk strategies have been figured out. 

These days, I am not so good at Street Fighter, especially the newer games.  I stick to the pattern Shoto just for fun.  That being said, I don't really like the newer games, but that's another entry for another day...

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:34:06 AM »
3.  Capcom Can't Count. 

Street Fighter 2 came out in the early 90s.  By the end of the decade, there have been some sequels to the game.  So which game was I playing?  Street Fighter 2!  World Warriors.  Champion.  Hyper.  Super.  Super Turbo.  I started playing somewhere around Champion edition, but I didn't get decent until Super.  My favorite is Super, but I was probably best at Hyper.  I never quite got used to the nerfs and boosts some characters got in Super.  I felt comfortable with Hyper. 

I stopped playing when Super Turbo came out, so I never learned how to play it.  I dislike Supers, but I know a lot of people love them.  I always felt Supers were cheap, even when I did them.  Short Short Super.  Cheap.  Stuck in the corner?  Super your way out.  Stuck in a loop?  Super your way out.  I think it's cheap, but people love it.  Super Turbo seems to be the most popular version of this game. 

Alpha and SF3 came out around this time, too.  Capcom couldn't count those either.  Looking at SF4, Capcom still can't count. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:49:01 AM »
I don't think people play Street Fighter for the story anymore.  It was never that good on story.  I am not really competitive in fighting games anymore, so I tend to enjoy NetherRealm games now.  You can still enjoy the fighting system, and you get a good story.  Didn't they used to go by Midway?  I suppose they had company changes over the years.  I should Wiki that...more useless information I would never use. 

Sifu

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »
I still think the SNK series were superior in story, character, teams, combos, move sets, difficulty over their Capcom rivals.

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »
4.  Throws

In the early days of SF, throwing was considered "cheap."  You actually had to apologize for throwing someone.  Other people had all sorts of dumb "throw rules."  Let's look at some...

A. No Throws. 
B. If you throw, then you have to let your opponent throw you.   

I am sure there were many other dumb throw rules.  Personally, I never had a problem with throwing.  I think throwing your opponent is the punishment for them blocking and not attacking.  If you're going to turtle, you get thrown. 

Then there are throw loops.  The "No Throw Scrubs" hated these.  I would do them just to piss them off.  One of the most popular ones was Ken's knee bash loop.  If you don't know how to break it, it just keeps going.  Other players had their loops too, like Gief and Hawk and Boxer and Claw, but I used Ken for my throw loops. 

Some people think throw loops are cheap, but I think that you shouldn't have gotten caught in it in the first place.  Or, you need to learn how to get out of it. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:15:27 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »
5. Tournaments

The dream of playing Street Fighter is to win a tournament.  Winning EVO was the ultimate dream.  Unfortunately, the pros had an advantage the home players didn't...

Nowadays, almost every tournament uses the Playstation or Xbox.  However, back in the day, they were almost exclusively on arcade.  There was small window when tournaments tried to used the PS1, but there was a ton of backlash.  Why the backlash?  Well, the home versions played differently than the arcade versions.  As a kid, I naively thought that the home version was the same as the arcade minus some of the graphics.  I never imagined that the game play was different.  The tightness of the controls were different.  Some moves were simply non-existent or modified.  Even footsies seem different.  The arcade was a different game, and only the arcade junkies knew the ins and outs of it. 

I can beat up scrubs in the arcade, but I could never beat anyone who actually knew what they were doing.  I see the strategies being used, but I didn't have the time nor money to actually practice them. 

I have only entered 1 real tournament.  I won, but I was just lucky.  There were only 10 people and the tournament was announced that day.  I wasn't good; the competition was just bad.  Plus, everyone wanted to play on player 1, but I think the stick wasn't that good.  I purposely chose player 2.  My reward for winning?  $10 worth of tokens.  I didn't even get a trophy. 

Players today got it pretty good.  They get to play the "real" game.  Online play is awful, but at least you get to fight a real person.  Training modes.  Online guides.  YouTube.  They can even use their own customized stick.  A home player can get really good these days. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
6.  Cancelling

It is now known as "kara cancelling."  But as a kid, we just called it "cancelling."  Back in the day, people didn't post this information.  You either had to figure this out on your own or be told by someone. 

I remember the first time I came across cancelling. I heard the sound of the move, but the move didn't come out.  Eventually, I found that I could cancel normal moves into specials.  Neat trick, but I wouldn't find out how useful it is until later.

I was playing the arcade by myself when I made a mistake.  I jabbed when I meant to throw a fireball.  I quickly changed it.  As it turned out, the jab didn't really come out, and it looked like I recovered a bit faster.  I was soon proven right.  A guy later came up to play against me, and he was spamming fierce fireballs.  I decided to test my new trick.  We were both throwing fierce fireballs, but I was a little faster.  I still wasn't sure if I was right, so some friends and I tested it out later too.  It appeared to be true. 

A few years later, I saw some guys in an arcade do a lot of it with Ken, but I wasn't really playing the game anymore.  I always suspected that the game had more glitches to exploit, but I never figured it out.  Fast forward to now, it is now called kara cancelling, and there is an entire list full of useful things. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:24:51 PM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »
7. The Tomo Tape

There was this underground tape made by some awesome (now legendary) Street Fighter, Tomo.  It went over some really cool strategies and combos.  A friend had this tape, and we all watched it together.  It was super cool.  The tape is now known as the Tomo Tape (although Promo Tape is more like it). 

Tomo doesn't really play anymore, and he gets a lot of haterz from the new school players.  New school players might be more knowledgeable now, but that is because of how the games are played now.  Back in the day, you had to learn first hand on the arcade without an Internet guide.  These days, you can just sit at home and look up everything up.  You don't even have to look your opponent in the eye. 

The Tomo Tape might be silly today, but it reminds me of a different time.

Watch the old school Tomo Tape for yourself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7JqbkL7Es

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 03:35:29 AM »
I don't really play Smash Bros, but Ryu looks fun.  PS All Stars didn't quite get the following Sony wanted...or maybe it did and I am just not one of them.

Well looks like Ryu has a new challenge.

Ryu vs Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Kirby vs Pacman vs Sonic.

we just need a final fantasy or dragon warrior/dragon quest to add to the mix and bam. videogame juggernauts. :)

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 02:55:26 AM »
I'd go with Sakura just because I like her better.  I didn't really play SF3, so maybe that is why I don't care for Sean too much.  I don't really know their bios, but I seem to recall that Sakura isn't actually that good.  She is just really enthusiastic.  Sean might actually be a real fighter.  Sakura might just lose because she doesn't really want to hurt anyone. 

I prefer Sakura vs. Ling Xiaoyu.  They should do a Tekken vs. Street Fighter...not that crap Capcom tried.  Let Namco do their thing.  Do people even play that game anymore?  I had high hopes for it, but it is not even fun to play casually. 

lets t alk about something else in the SF universe:

Which pupil would win

Sakura vs Sean

My vote goes to Sakura.  From what I recall.  She wasn't originally taught by Ryu.  She learned it from watching and mimicking him (it explains her different shoryuken and hurricane kick).  She was later taught by him.  She has more experience or atleast should.  But I'd say what gives her the advantage is her prowess in the skills and her control over her hadouken.

Sean can't do the regular hadouken.  His is a hadou burst special move.  While she can do both the regular hadouken and shinku hadouken.  Sure her range isn't as great, but she can do it.  He takes up alot of concentration and energy to release his.

- I'm excluding her dark sakura.  I don't know if that's even canon.

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 03:03:36 AM »
8. The Unblockable Hurricane

When the air hurricane came out, it was so much fun, especially when they allowed it to arc.  One of the things I really enjoyed doing was hitting a meaty flying hurricane.  At first, it was just for show.  But then, I noticed that it was actually hitting.  It was really obvious that I was coming in.  They could block or anti-air.  Sometimes, I just did it over and over again.  It didn't work every time, but it worked enough.  Also, it worked more with Ryu, not really with Ken.  It was probably just a bug, but it was a fun bug to exploit.  I kept it a secret for a while until my friends started doing it to me. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:40 AM »
9. Spamming

People get really pissed with fireball spamming.  Back in the arcade days, some guys almost got into a fight over fireball spamming (they might have gotten into a fight if it were throwing).  Chip damage could be devastating in the earlier games.  I never had a problem because I felt it was fair.  Characters that spam usually have other weaknesses to exploit.  Plus, if spamming is so easy for a cheap victory, then why can't everyone do it?  Sagat doesn't win every tournament. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »
10.  Noobs and Akuma

Kids today play ST and think they are awesome at the game because they dominate with Akuma.  They don't realize that Akuma was purposely created to be a broken character. 

Advertisements