Advertisement

Author Topic: Sexist Gaming  (Read 1247 times)

bulbasaur

Sexist Gaming
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:29 PM »
I find gaming to be a bit sexist, and I sorta perpetuate it as well. 

First of all, most protagonists are male. There are some games with female protagonists.  There are some games that actually let the player choose their gender from the start.  But as it seems, the male-female protagonist ratio isn't 50-50.  I wonder what the gender ratio of all gamers are?

Second, women seem to be more objectified in games, either positively or negatively.  The trend seems to be changing, but you don't get games objectifying men as much. 

Third, the actual game play seem sexist.  I find myself using the female characters as healers more often than male characters because they are better at it.  Conversely, the male characters are often better fighters.   Now, when I play a new game, I just automatically follow this stereotype without even looking at the stats.  I could actually be completely wrong.  Lulu could probably kick Tidus' butt for all I know, and Tidus could be great with a med kit. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

zena

Re: Sexist Gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
I don't mind it.  Prefer it to be mainly guys and some girls.

bulbasaur

Re: Sexist Gaming
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:26 AM »
In any case, let's give some recognition to some women in games.  Starting with...

1. Samus Aran

That's right, the main character of Metroid is a woman.  She debuted in 1986 where the gaming was almost completely dominated by males.  More interestingly, she wasn't portrayed as some sex symbol.  Over 25 years, and she is still a fan favorite. 

Advertisements