Advertisement

Author Topic: What would you recommend?  (Read 2430 times)

zena

What would you recommend?
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
If I was to return to school for more education, what do you think would be a good path:

1. Get a master's in my field of study from over a decade ago.
2. Get a certificate in my field of study.
3. Get a certificate in a study that I have some interest in but does not really relate to my field of study.
4. Get a brand new undergrad degree in a field that I have some interest in.
5. Don't get anything and just hone my skills then apply...I would still need to take a few classes here and there but just not seek a degree or certificate.

A few years back, I tried to go for a Master's in writing and only had one year to go but stopped.  I didn't have the time and now don't want to teach writing (that was the initial goal).  I just like to write but that doesn't require a degree.

tia

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: What would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »
If I was to go back to school, I'd take something totally different from what I have been doing or used to do or did at one time.

But that's me. I like to start fresh on things.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
I am always in support of the pursuit of happiness.  That being said, there are many other factors...

Is money or time a factor?  If yes, then pursuing something that adds to your profession might be wise.  If no, then almost any route is fine.  Personally, if money and time are not factors, I would do them all starting from what I enjoy the most.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have such an opportunity.  However, the choice is yours.  The best path is always the one you choose. 

This probably doesn't relate to you, but for some others who might be reading and are in your similar situation....

Be aware of the John Mayer Theory.  Just because you like something, that doesn't always mean that you really want to study it.  John Mayer went to music school, but he found out that he didn't want to learn music theory and such.  He just wanted to make music and entertain. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:45:44 PM by bulbasaur »

zena

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 10:45:01 PM »
Thanks guys!  You're the coolest!  8)

zena

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
If you had 3 years to live and education was one of your dream, what would you do?  Maybe putting it into that perspective can help cut through the fog.

I'd study history.  And some day I just might do that.  :)

Envy2

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
If I was to return to school for more education, what do you think would be a good path:

1. Get a master's in my field of study from over a decade ago.
2. Get a certificate in my field of study.
3. Get a certificate in a study that I have some interest in but does not really relate to my field of study.
4. Get a brand new undergrad degree in a field that I have some interest in.
5. Don't get anything and just hone my skills then apply...I would still need to take a few classes here and there but just not seek a degree or certificate.

A few years back, I tried to go for a Master's in writing and only had one year to go but stopped.  I didn't have the time and now don't want to teach writing (that was the initial goal).  I just like to write but that doesn't require a degree.

tia

Going to get a master degree so you can write? It's like going to art school so you can draw. Your proof a degree don't make you smart. Especially since you quit 1 year before you are done. You do know if you don't finish in a certain time frame you have to start over. It's like racing to the finish but stopping before the finish line.

Envy2

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
I'd study history.  And some day I just might do that.  :)

Study history in your home. Doesn't matter if you study in college or at home the US still won WW1 and WW2.

zena

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
Going to get a master degree so you can write? It's like going to art school so you can draw. Your proof a degree don't make you smart. Especially since you quit 1 year before you are done. You do know if you don't finish in a certain time frame you have to start over. It's like racing to the finish but stopping before the finish line.

LOL!  No silly.  You didn't read correctly. Please re-read.  :)

Study history in your home. Doesn't matter if you study in college or at home the US still won WW1 and WW2.

History isn't just about WW1 and 2.  ::)

Advertisements