Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel Tales: Crazy Fun Weird  (Read 4831 times)

bulbasaur

Travel Tales: Crazy Fun Weird
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
Everyone's got a story to tell, and these days everyone's got even more stories since traveling has become more accessible.  Here is my list of random things during my travels.  Some crazy.  Some fun. Some weird. 

1. Sitting on Lincoln's lap. 

You can't apparently can't do this anymore.

During my younger years, my friends and I took a road trip to DC.  Being young and stupid, we didn't bring enough money.  We needed to sacrifice food, gas, or hotel.  Since food and gas are required to get back home, we sacrificed the hotel.  As a result, we spent the night roaming the streets of DC.  We saw the Lincoln Memorial in the daytime, but we decided to go there again and "ask honest Abe for advice."  About 2am in the morning, no one was there anymore.  We decided to climb on Lincoln's lap.  We all took a bunch of pictures. 

I went back years later to try to do it again, but there was a cop there all night.  Kids today will never know the joy of climbing onto Lincoln.  Which brings me to...

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Travel Tales: Crazy Fun Weird
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »
2.  Sliding on the Lincoln Memorial

You can't do this anymore either.  You can't even walk to the ledge anymore.  It's roped off and there is a sign, No Sliding!  However, during the same trip to DC, I was so tired from all the walking we've done, I just told my friends I was just going to slide down.  After I did it, there was a line of people behind me wanting to slide.  In the picture that my friend took, there is a little girl on the side clapping. 

One more thing kids today will never enjoy.  I can't help but think I am slightly responsible for all the signs and restrictions that are there now. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »
3. Manhattan Night Court

The only reason why I went here was to pull out my recorder and play the theme song from the TV show, Night Court.  A few people walking turned to look.  I should have put my cap on the ground.  I might have gotten some money.  Here is the theme song if you don't know it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUltrX-ICew

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
4. Onbashira

This festival is held in Japan once every 6 years.  Although most people may not know the name of this festival, they might know it as the festival where people ride on logs down a hill.  I heard it was dangerous, but I wanted to check it out.  It was fun.  Here is a video of the festival.  It's not my personal video, but you can get the gist of it.  The next Onbashira is next year.  I think I want to go again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDLIdfAMOw

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:56:51 AM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:01:15 AM »
5. Video Games Live

Not all things are outdoor activities.  I always wanted to see this concert, but I never had the time.  I eventually got lucky and they were playing abroad while I happen to be in the same city.  Sometimes you're lucky. 

Even if you are not a video game fan, check them out anyways.  It's fun.  You could YouTube, but the experience is not the same.

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »
6. The Summer Palace

In Beijing, there is the Summer Palace.  Like many imperial places, it has been converted into a tourist attraction.  The Summer Palace is nice, but it is much cooler in the winter.  The lake at the palace actually freezes over, and you can skate or walk on it.  There are signs forbidding people not to walk on the ice, but no one paid attention.  I wasn't going to walk on the ice, but after the long hike around the lake to the palace, I didn't want to walk the long way back.  People were cutting across the lake, so I decided to as well.  As I was walking, I could hear the ice cracking.  In fact, I could still see the water underneath the ice.  It probably wasn't safe, but I did it.  It was fun, and it saved me a lot of time, too.   

The only downside is about this trip is that I lost all my pictures of the Summer Palace.  All I have are my memories. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:46:04 PM »
The Summer Palace is beauuuuuuuuuuu tiful!  Hmmmm let's see... when I was kid, I used to climb up a crap apple trees near a well known university.  Now, I think that crap apple tree is gone so kids today will lose that chance hehehhe.... ;D ;D ;D

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
It is.  I actually want to visit again when it is actually summer. 

The Summer Palace is beauuuuuuuuuuu tiful!  Hmmmm let's see... when I was kid, I used to climb up a crap apple trees near a well known university.  Now, I think that crap apple tree is gone so kids today will lose that chance hehehhe.... ;D ;D ;D

bulbasaur

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
7. Kopi Luwak

While in the Philippines, I just had to try it.  It's still kinda expensive, but no where near as expensive as it would be if I got it outside of the Philippines.  Unfortunately, I am not a coffee person, so I wouldn't even know if it was good or not.  Heck, it might have been fake Kopi Luwak for all I knew.   Apparently, fake Kopi Luwak runs rampant.  Personally, it just tasted like coffee.  Some of the people I was with said it was pretty good.  I'll take their word for it. 

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:37:16 PM by bulbasaur »

bulbasaur

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
8. Singapore Megazip

I saw this on The Amazing Race, and I just had to do it.  It was a lot fun, but the ride itself felt short.  The guy beside had a selfie stick; I shoulda thought of that.  I still got pictures because the company had cameras as well.  The only scary part was my harness.  Before I took off, there was this discussion on whether or not to change my harness.  The workers eventually said it was fine and let me go.  Afterwards when I was taking off my harness, they took my harness away so it wouldn't be used again.  WTH?  I coulda died if it snapped! 

bulbasaur

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
9. The Big Buddha in Hong Kong

I've done quite a few trips to Hong Kong, and this was the first thing I did.  I think it is actually called the Tian Tan Buddha.  I've actually been there 3 times.  Each time with a different group of people.  I wonder if I can still do the climb without getting exhausted?

bulbasaur

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »
10. Stone Mountain

Okay, let's list something domestic...

The last time I did this was back when I was a teenager.  I was visiting some friends and cousins in GA.  We did a bunch of little activities around the park, and we "climbed" the "mountain."  I remember thinking it was pretty easy.  That being said, I wonder if I would still think it is easy today?  I was more fit back then. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 11:53:19 PM »
11.  Universal Studios Osaka

I've been to quite a few theme parks.  They'll all make the list eventually.  Why list Universal at Osaka first?  Well, this was the first time I rode the Back to the Future ride, and today is the day Marty arrives in the future! 

bulbasaur

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
12. Singapore Night Safari

I didn't think it would be fun, but it nice.  It was even a little mini-hike through the "woods." 

Most people are against booking tours, but I booked this trip with a tour.  It was worth it because we were pushed automatically to the front when we arrived....muc h better than having to wait in line.

bulbasaur

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
13.  Best Thai Food Outside of Thailand

The best Thai food outside of Thailand is this hole in the wall restaurant in Hong Kong.  The first time I went there was at night, and I thought we were lost because it was some back alley.  Dinky tables and chairs.  Virtually no table service.  But, the food was awesome.  I go there every time I am in Hong Kong now. 

Advertisements