Advertisement

Author Topic: The Tale of Two Wheels  (Read 9101 times)

bulbasaur

Re: The Tale of Two Wheels
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
Helmets

I am using a cheap helmet with my scooter now, but the visor broke.  I could replace the visor, or just get a nice helmet.  Decisions.  Winter is coming, so a full helmet would be nice. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
Learning how to ride on 2 wheels

I was fortunate enough as a kid to have a bike.  I didn't know how to ride a bike, so I had training wheels.  However, after a while, my siblings thought it was about time I learned how to bike on 2 wheels.  We took the bike up the top of a hill.  The advice I received from my siblings and their friends was, "All you need to do is hold the handle straight."  I pushed off, and off I went.  I was biking on 2 wheels!  But then, I noticed that I was heading straight towards a tree.  Do I just hold the handle straight?  Do I attempt to make my first turn and most likely crash?  Or do I try to slow down?  Or do I..........Too many questions.  Too late.  I hit the tree. 

I eventually learned to bike on 2 wheels that summer. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
I went for a longer bike ride this morning before the Sun rose.  It was the first long ride since I got hurt.  I've been playing some basketball, but nothing that required too much cardio.  As it turned out, I don't my cycling legs on me anymore.  I got quite worn out this morning....but watching the Sun rise above the waking city was worth it. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
The Fastest on the Block!

When coming off the red, my little lightweight scooter is always the first to take off.  I stick in the lead for a little bit, then all the high powered vehicles catch up and pass me.  So for few moments, I am the fastest on the block!...Well, maybe I should say off the block. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 12:35:03 AM »
Driving to work this morning, and I see 7 high school kids riding their bikes.  All their bikes were expensive.  I was a little jelly of their bikes, but I was more jelly of the fact that they were riding and I wasn't.  Oh well. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 01:05:02 AM »
Gloves

I've been riding for years now.  The first winter was so cold that I caved in and bought some gloves.  They were kinda pricey for gloves (considering I've never owned gloves before).  They were waterproof and warm, so that was a plus.  They were Hilltop Ski Dri.  They looked kinda like this...

Well, it rained last week, and my gloves got soaked.  They're no longer waterproof.  Maybe the stitching isn't what it used to be.  In any case, I got some new ones.  Hopefully they last just as long as the old ones.  The ones I got were from Outdoor Research....

bulbasaur

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
Gas prices are cheaper these days, but on a scooter, my gas spending is incredibly cheap.  It's less than $2 a week.  It might go up in the summer when I start doing more leisure rides.  Then again, it might go down when I start biking to work again.  In any case, I welcome the lower prices. 

In the future though, I hope to eliminate all my gas spending by going electric. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
Chain Stain

Like most people, I started biking for recreation.  Later, I thought it would be a good idea to also bike to work.  It saves money.  It's good exercise.  It's green. 

On the first day to work on a bike, my pants got stained from the grease on the bike chain.  Lesson 1 for biking to work: Use a clip.

bulbasaur

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 12:07:10 AM »
Night Rider

During the summer, I find midnight rides to be nice.  The sun isn't blazing, and there aren't any cars on the road.  It's nice to cruise through the sleeping city. 

As a night rider, I soon found that my cheap lights were exactly that, cheap.  I eventually invested in some good lights.  It's been a couple of years now, and the lights are still working strong, but lately I am feeling the need to replace them.  I want something away from the handle bars because I want to mount my phone on there.  I guess I'll have to shop around...

Advertisements