Advertisement

Author Topic: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F  (Read 20526 times)

zena

Re: Classic Reviews: The Scarlet Letter is an F
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
Yeah, sorry.  I meant interpret.  I was rushing it...busy life.

Again, it's really okay for people to interpret the poem however they see it.  I wouldn't worry about it.

And you didn't quote the bold correctly because I said:

For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other.  Whichever life direction you go, they will both be difficult.  You have to understand that the author has no way of knowing the future; of knowing which path in life will be easier or harder than the other.  No one knows.  No one still knows.  But, you choose the path you think will work out better for you.  Which doesn't mean it will work out better either.

The part you bolded, is what I experienced in my life just like the part right after in which you didn't bold but it is what I've experienced as well.

Also, he didn't write it word for word but he did say one path had grass, the path he chose and this could possibly mean we choose certain paths in our lives because of "greener" pastures.  But again, just to make sure you don't twist my words, it doesn't mean it was the better path or that more people went down the path that wasn't as grassy.

As for what he said about "equal," you might want to reread the poem because he was referring to the day he made his choice.  Both path were covered in leaves and no one had gone on either path that morning so they looked the same.

Again, it's okay to interpret it for your own purpose. You're a smart guy so you should know what I mean without further explanation.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 06:53:19 PM »
I think you are adding ideas that are not actually present in the poem.  The poem clearly states that both roads are equal, and not just that morning either.  It was more than just the leaves on the ground that morning.  The narrator clearly states that both were basically equally traveled. "Had worn them really about the same,"

As for your quote, what you wrote can be confusing.  "For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other...."  Because you wrote "this poem means" and followed up with "one appears mostly traveled" and your personal experiences, what you wrote appears more like an interpretation and not just your personal feelings.  It sounds very much like you were using your personal experience as support for the interpretation of the poem.  There is nothing wrong with that kind of argument, but if you weren't doing that, then it is kinda confusing of why mentioning it at all.  Which leads us to....

Many people seem to confuse interpretation with inspiration.  The two are similar, but slightly different.  Inspiration is gives a person ideas or motivation.  Interpretation is the explanation of a piece of work.  A piece of work can mix the two, but they can also be different.  For example, I can be inspired to take horseback riding lessons after watching My Little Pony.  However, that doesn't mean that the show should be interpreted to be about horseback riding.  In the case of this poem, people are inspired to take the lesser traveled road because of the poem, but that doesn't mean that poem should be interpreted as such.  The biggest evidence of this is that the narrator states that both roads are equal.  The narrator states that he/she will only make such an assessment in retrospect.   

And heck, you don't even need to take my word for it.  Frost himself said it.   

Yeah, sorry.  I meant interpret.  I was rushing it...busy life.

Again, it's really okay for people to interpret the poem however they see it.  I wouldn't worry about it.

And you didn't quote the bold correctly because I said:

For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other.  Whichever life direction you go, they will both be difficult.  You have to understand that the author has no way of knowing the future; of knowing which path in life will be easier or harder than the other.  No one knows.  No one still knows.  But, you choose the path you think will work out better for you.  Which doesn't mean it will work out better either.

The part you bolded, is what I experienced in my life just like the part right after in which you didn't bold but it is what I've experienced as well.

Also, he didn't write it word for word but he did say one path had grass, the path he chose and this could possibly mean we choose certain paths in our lives because of "greener" pastures.  But again, just to make sure you don't twist my words, it doesn't mean it was the better path or that more people went down the path that wasn't as grassy.

As for what he said about "equal," you might want to reread the poem because he was referring to the day he made his choice.  Both path were covered in leaves and no one had gone on either path that morning so they looked the same.

Again, it's okay to interpret it for your own purpose. You're a smart guy so you should know what I mean without further explanation.

zena

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
I think you are adding ideas that are not actually present in the poem.  The poem clearly states that both roads are equal, and not just that morning either.  It was more than just the leaves on the ground that morning.  The narrator clearly states that both were basically equally traveled. "Had worn them really about the same,"

As for your quote, what you wrote can be confusing.  "For me, this poem means choosing from two big life choices.  One appears mostly traveled, and the other, not so much but either way, it doesn't mean one is easier than the other...."  Because you wrote "this poem means" and followed up with "one appears mostly traveled" and your personal experiences, what you wrote appears more like an interpretation and not just your personal feelings.  It sounds very much like you were using your personal experience as support for the interpretation of the poem.  There is nothing wrong with that kind of argument, but if you weren't doing that, then it is kinda confusing of why mentioning it at all.  Which leads us to....

Many people seem to confuse interpretation with inspiration.  The two are similar, but slightly different.  Inspiration is gives a person ideas or motivation.  Interpretation is the explanation of a piece of work.  A piece of work can mix the two, but they can also be different.  For example, I can be inspired to take horseback riding lessons after watching My Little Pony.  However, that doesn't mean that the show should be interpreted to be about horseback riding.  In the case of this poem, people are inspired to take the lesser traveled road because of the poem, but that doesn't mean that poem should be interpreted as such.  The biggest evidence of this is that the narrator states that both roads are equal.  The narrator states that he/she will only make such an assessment in retrospect.   

And heck, you don't even need to take my word for it.  Frost himself said it.

You missed the part where I said, "For me..."  If I had simply said, "This poem means" then I can see an argument. But, I'm not trying to dissect the poem as I had mentioned too.  Join a poem club or take a poetry class to dissect it.

My point from the get-go was stating that it's not a big deal for people to interpret the poem however they wish AND if they care to really understand it the way Frost meant it, then they should a course in poetry to dissect it.  :)

bulbasaur

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
I didn't miss the "for me."  You also wrote "the poem means."  This insinuates that you are interpreting, not just discussing your inspiration.  In fact, this all started by you saying "translated," although you meant "interpreted."  Maybe you didn't mean that either.  What you really meant was "inspired."  Once again, I can be inspired to go horseback riding from My Little Pony, but that's not the point of the show. 

You missed the part where I said, "For me..."  If I had simply said, "This poem means" then I can see an argument. But, I'm not trying to dissect the poem as I had mentioned too.  Join a poem club or take a poetry class to dissect it.

My point from the get-go was stating that it's not a big deal for people to interpret the poem however they wish AND if they care to really understand it the way Frost meant it, then they should a course in poetry to dissect it.  :)

bulbasaur

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 04:24:17 AM »
If this is a trap, then you are the sucker who got trapped.  HAHAHAHA.   :2funny:

this thread is a troll's trap, waiting for some unsuspecting pher to disagree with you. once someone bites you bombard them with paragraph quicksand.

bulbasaur

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 04:27:34 AM »
Talk about not understanding nuance.   :idiot2:

You wrote, "I am of the mind that he simply does not understand nuance, or that any understanding he may have of it is completely trumped by his ever insistent and condescending need to degrade others because he believes his mind is far too superior."  Again, you don't see me going into your threads misreading what you write and trying to troll.   You haven't even made one reference to the topic.  You are just whining.  You just mad your friend is getting bested at his own troll game.  :idiot2:

Sorry, you misunderstood me. Entertainment I can find on my own, as I have no need of directing others just to find a few laughs. My amusement arises from the fact that you have chosen to entertain yourself in this particular manner. I wish I could agree with your assessment that your opponent, whether consciously or not, likes the torture of your verbal bite however I am of the mind that he simply does not understand nuance, or that any understanding he may have of it is completely trumped by his ever insistent and condescending need to degrade others because he believes his mind is far too superior. In any case I do enjoy your interactions with him.

Like this post: +2

bulbasaur

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 04:37:06 AM »
The Three Billy Goats Gruff

The problem with trolls is that they always come around butting into other people's business, but in the end, trolls just get beat.  The goats are just trying to feed in the meadow minding their own business.  Someone should learn a lesson from this classic review and go back and hide under their bridge.   :2funny:

bulbasaur

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »
If this is a trap, then look who can't get out.  You're STILL here. 
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

greetings bulbs, your quicksand traps are of little matter to birds and butterflies. i look forward to your new and improved traps in the future though. may i suggest a net of some sort, dipped in honey. you'll catch many bees with that, and a bear or two. if you want to catch Asharia, talk to me. I got you covered. I, on the other hand, cannot resist a long curvy highway into the sunset. gets me every time. see, like you i also prefer the paved road.

bulbasaur

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Advice from the admiral...

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:02:15 AM by bulbasaur »

Like this post: +2

bulbasaur

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »
The Three Billy Goats Gruff: Part 2

Trolls who can't even troll are lame.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

bulbasaur

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 01:57:40 AM »
If this is a trap, then look who can't get out.  You're STILL here.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

i'm never going to leave. you stuck with me, bro.  ;D

i would like to hear your review of Three Billy Goats Gruff.

bulbasaur

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
If this is a trap, then look who can't get out.  You're STILL here.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

I am here but not for reasons you intended. Today I am here to ask you to read Great Expectations with me. Always wanted to read it. Now's better than never, right? Imagine all the fun we'll have--me pointing out an ambiguous passage, you dissecting it to infinity. Instead of clashing swords, I say we work together...tak e turns, you know... first me, than you, than me again, then you...until we establish a rhythm. much more pleasurable don't you think? but if you insist on going first, we may have to arm wrestle for it (hahaha).

It's my first time reading with another guy so I can't confirm if this passes international standards of protocol, but I would imagine that's how it goes. If you are as excited about this endeavor as I am, please respond in here or by PM (if you're shy) by midnight Saturday, September 3rd.

bulbasaur

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »

Bulbas, only 5 days left.
Just wanted you to know.
In case you forgot.
I know you're busy.
Maybe you were browsing through all your other posts and just happened to forget this one. By accident.
I'm not in a hurry.
Pssshh... I got all the time in the world.
I'll check back later. Like in an hour.
See ya.

.............. ....bye.

bulbasaur

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 03:43:16 AM »

What was that about birds and quicksand?   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

i just awoke from a dream. new things have come to light. i know i said forever, but...you know, nothing goes as planned, everything will break...and, people say goodbye, in their own special way. what is forever anyway?

You know how when you log into PH there is an option to choose how long you want to stay? The first one is Forever. And once long ago, I met someone who made me think Forever really existed, so I clicked that option. And now here I am, swimming in forever. But you know what, it isn't really forever. It doesn't exist. it can't exist. it musn't exist. everything, all that you rely on, will leave you in the morning. I appogize. I know I said forever.

bulbasaur

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
The Three Billy Goats Gruff: Part 3

The story ends with the troll leaving and never returning to bother the goats again.   :2funny:

Advertisements