Advertisement

Author Topic: Art Appreciation  (Read 6698 times)

bulbasaur

Art Appreciation
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
I am not an expert at art, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate art.  Here is a collection of some of my favorites or some that have influenced me or some that I just happen to have come across through the years...

Nighthawks - Edward Hopper

I first came across this painting in a book in elementary school.  The book was an anthology of stories.  I don't remember what I read from that book, but I remember the painting.  At the time, I didn't know it was such a popular painting.  I was just thinking about what stories the people and the location had.  I didn't even know the name of the painting until years later. 

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

bulbasaur

Re: Art Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 12:53:01 AM »
Rubber Duck - Florentijn Hofman

This thing was an international fixation for a while.  I saw it while traveling in Asia.  The entire harbor looked like some street carnival.  Toy ducks, hats, duck calls, etc. were all being sold.  I bought a duck hat and duck bill for souvenirs. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:04:56 AM »
The Thinker - Rodin

I was super-hyped to see The Thinker in person.  This is one of the most famous pieces of art in history.  When I saw it, it looked really good.  However, I later found out that there are actually multiple castings of The Thinker.  There are about 20 or so "official" ones.  But less than half of those were actually made with Rodin's direct supervision.  I guess it wouldn't really matter.  All the statues look alike.  However, it is a bit deceiving. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 05:05:41 AM »
The Great Wave off Kanagawa

This is another painting that I first saw in a book.  I didn't know much about Japan as a kid, but this was my first exposure to Japanese art.  Later, manga would kick in.  Not much of a connection, but anyways...

bulbasaur

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:52:34 AM »
The Starry Night

I first saw this painting in a book.  I had a print copy of it on my wall for a while.  I later viewed this painting in person in New York.

bulbasaur

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »
Jadeite Cabbage

For some reason, people kept telling me to check out this cabbage made of jade.  I guess so?  Anyways, it was a good excuse to check out one of the most popular museums in Asia.  When I first saw it, it was a lot smaller than I expected.  However, it was nicely crafted.  If you look closely, you can see a little grasshopper.

bulbasaur

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »
American Gothic - Grant Wood

Like most people, I knew of this famous painting before I knew it was a famous painting.  I eventually saw the original piece during a trip to Chicago. 

bulbasaur

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »
Statue of Liberty

Yup, it's art.  If you got some time in NYC, it is worth a view.  Interesting fact though, there are a couple more "Statues of Liberties," and there are a ton of replicas around the world.  I've seen a couple of the Asian replicas. 

Advertisements