Advertisement

Author Topic: Why Hmong christian still ask for downry?  (Read 4871 times)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
Why Hmong christian still ask for downry?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
Had a cousin who married a christian girl
Her family ask for the downry
And they did the Americans wedding
We ate cakes, chips, pizza. Hot dog and burger.

I didn't ask them why because I want to be respectful

Most christian wedding I go to they usually don't.

Like this post: 0
God did not created man...man created god

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Why Hmong christian still ask for downry?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »

Not sure why they would ask for the "dowry" but I think you meant bride-price.

In terms of why? Greed for the most part "Christians" or not.

In this day and age and especially here, the bride-price is not necessary but many still do it mainly for greed....If you guys have the opportunity to sit in on those overnight negotiations, you'll see what I mean.

chidorix0x

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:09:46 AM »
...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:/ ::)

What DUH-mASSes did u ALL xpect from duh- crAZZtian whoreshippers  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

Ha'HINT :
They are referred to aZZ "dag/dab noj dag/dab haus" in duh-HA'Mung community  ...  kekeke. ...   :-X

yuknowthat

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:48:18 AM »
isha Khol cher? peb is hmong. So peb still Show head price even if peb are christian. :P :P :P

Umbrella

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »

A dowry/bride price has nothing to do with religion. That is a cultural norm that defines us as Hmong. As Hmong, Christians or Shaman, it is in our cultural right to ask for a dowry/bride price. How you approach the process will determine whether you are a true Christian (for you Christian haters) or not. Traditionalist s will always approach it in a negative way, no matter how right they see their viewpoints are. Old grudges and other bs will be brought that can and prolong the 'match-making' process.

Buttercup

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:29:01 PM »

You consider this an American wedding?  Have we gotten more ghetto'r throughout the years that a wedding consists of hot dogs and burgers?  :-X

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »

You consider this an American wedding?  Have we gotten more ghetto'r throughout the years that a wedding consists of hot dogs and burgers?  :-X

No church
Just the gal backyard
They got the pastor and everything

Some people dress up. Other don't

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »
Maybe he means a backyard wedding.

American wedding: Expensive dress. Groomsman, Bridesmaids.  Nice looking cake, catering.  The crap he listed sounds like a backyard barbecue.

Probably a load of garbage like everything else that comes out of his mouth.  A wedding probably didn't even happen.

Lol man
You always hating

Mr. Interweb king

I got pic to proof. Of course you going be like fake.
Peter the denier

chidorix0x

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
No church
Just the gal backyard
They got the pastor and everything

Some people dress up. Other don't

...  kekeke  ...   :2funny:

Nose shIetZzz  ...  a crAZZtian wEEd-dings don't needs all da hyped uPPerz materialistic/commercialized crapPERs:  cake, ring, bride's maid blah blah blah.  Jux getting a "piece of pooper" signed and notorized at the local County Clerk's Office is  O0  ...  ha'DUH!  ...  KEKEKE  ...   >:D

(Help faWkerz, crAZZtian be fOOkering and leaching unders da shame roof for ages witz bAGGage and it still cuME-SIN-dered a wed couple, minus dud'paperwork  ...  ha'DUH!)

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 01:53:31 PM »
A dowry/bride price has nothing to do with religion. That is a cultural norm that defines us as Hmong. As Hmong, Christians or Shaman, it is in our cultural right to ask for a dowry/bride price. How you approach the process will determine whether you are a true Christian (for you Christian haters) or not. Traditionalist s will always approach it in a negative way, no matter how right they see their viewpoints are. Old grudges and other bs will be brought that can and prolong the 'match-making' process.

A dowry has nothing to do with religion but a cultural custom norm that has been practice by the Hmong. 

For those who are saying that one day they won't expect anything for their daughter is lying through their teeth.  They will be in the same boat waiting for that day to happen and if not probably whispering to their daughter to find way to make it happen.  Bad or good son it become a responsibility that his parent will do right by it.  Some get their gf pregnant, want to married a young divorce (becoming common these day) but their parent are stuck and not escaping this custom.  Some parent may want their son to save $$ for it, pitch in but majority of them their parent have no choice. 

There are some Hmong parent who their daughter married or ran off to be with a Meskas trash, Mev liab or Dub lazy and get nothing.  As nosy as Hmong people they always want to know how much, etc.  There are a few who has convinced their bf that we "Hmong" blah blah so he's able to respect our culture and do it for that reason.  If both party are Hmong then no matter what it will be done sooner, later, etc.  Don't matter if you gain a loser daughter in law, drug addict, etc.  as long as she is Hmong then bam........... .

You can be a stranger to the family because they never met you or know their son/daughter was dating you, etc.  You can be caught or force and still get over it.  I don't know if we can said its cruel or wrong what they are doing, feel like their daughter is dirty or no good after........, etc.  Whatever is the situation or how they end up together as long as them qhi thiab ua tshoob then it has more respect and meaning behind it. 

I don't know any Hmong Christian that doesn't asked for a dowry.  Most of them tuaj hais huv tseb.  Still estimated $5500-7k.  If they already planned a Meskas wedding then ua noj ua haus is small just to acknowledge kevcai Hmoob ua tshoob that same day with closed by family/relatives.    I have a niece who just move in and settled with her Meskas bf.  Years later when they decided to do a Meskas wedding her father wouldn't even walk her down the aisle.  Her wedding didn't have a single member of her family as bridemaid, flower girl, etc.  She asked 2 of my sisters to be bridemaid.  Her father reaction to it made her call her father good friend who is a pastor and that pastor told him zoo thiab phem to honor and do it.  He did........... .. 

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
A dowry has nothing to do with religion but a cultural custom norm that has been practice by the Hmong. 
  Right.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Phab Ej Dao Vue

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »
Hmongs used to club the bride over the head unconscious too, to take her home. Since it's cultural norms it's ok right? We should include this practice in Christian weddings. Everyone gets their own baseball bat.

Also we should continue making the man eat a huge chunk of pork fat. It would be kinda funny- heart attacks are complimentary with your Hmong Christian wedding. Come and get one!

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +248
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »

Dowry is not tied to religion but culture. Most Christian wedding will forego the mejkoob, cigarette, and umbrella. There are still some that uses it without knowing the difference.

What I don't get is when a hmong man marries a hmong girl, he's expected to pay the dowry and go thru all the crap. But when she's marrying another race, all the things that comes with a Hmong wedding vanished. There are no dowry, mejkoob, or anything at all just regular Western wedding.

- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

yuknowthat

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
like the elders always say "tsua paub ua liaj saum yus haib neeg duab qaum xwb thiab khav ntawm ntug cub xwb"  ::)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
Dowry is not tied to religion but culture. Most Christian wedding will forego the mejkoob, cigarette, and umbrella. There are still some that uses it without knowing the difference.

What I don't get is when a hmong man marries a hmong girl, he's expected to pay the dowry and go thru all the crap. But when she's marrying another race, all the things that comes with a Hmong wedding vanished. There are no dowry, mejkoob, or anything at all just regular Western wedding.

Wait it not religion but culture?

If you don't do any of the mejkoob. Where is the culture in that.?

According to you. It has to be the other than. Religion since it not culture

Common sense and reason

Advertisements