Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyways, for all the youngsters in here about to go to college who are fresh out  (Read 4640 times)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
of high school and everything is still fresh on your mind, I highly suggest yalls take some clep exams to clep those classes. 

Especially if you're going to be having to take out loans for your education, clep out those classes that you can so that you don't waste time and money on those classes.

Check with your colleges first.

DAng, I wish back in the day someone would've told me about all these resources.  :S

https://clep.collegeboard.org/

Like this post: 0
I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Adverstisement

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
If you're already took your core classes it probably won't do you much help, if you go to their website it'll list all the courses you can Clep out of.

It's only 80 bucks I believe and you can take it as many time as you can.  I can't remember how long in between test youd have to wait though. 

But it's an easy way to get courses out of the way and receive credit for it as well, I'm sure there are instances were someone could possibly Clep out of thier first two college years. 

But I do recommend buying the Clep study book, it comes with a couple of practice test that is formatted exactly like how the test is and how the test is given. 

When I took the college algebra there was things I don't even remember being taught in college so it's good to know what to expect beforehand and study for it so you aren't surprised.  It has an answer key and does well to explain the answer. 

The practices test is just like the test, formatted exactly, only difference is the questions. 

For example the practice test may say 2x+3=15.   Test question will be like 3x+8=19
My biggest concern was not knowing the material but how would the problems of questions be asked.
The practice test get you really familiarized with how to answer the questions so you can pick the right answer. 

Most questions can be answered just by eliminating the answer choices and not having to spend time working the problem.

Like I said just go to the website.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
I looked it up and sound good but will have to wait until my daughter start applying for college next year to know if the school she plan to go will accept clep.  My daughter has AP classes in HS so I'm already paying about $90 to have her take the exam each year to get college credit.  Regular classes that does not count then I'll have her take clep since she has some of those classes right now as a junior when the time come. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
each year?  I thought it was only the last year or when you take the AP class?  At my high school it's usually the 4th year.  Only like 2-3 AP classes were available in lower levels (AP Euro history in 10th grade, AP Bio in 11th grade)

Anyway. clep probably won't work at my school.
Heck, a good chunk of junior college courses barely transfer anymore.  In the past, you could take stats and transfer it over and get your credits for the required stats in social work.  But not anymore, you have to take that one.

I have no idea because I never had AP classes in HS.  I know nothing about the exam.  My daughter has AP English and Biology this year so the examis for both.  They start tutoring next week to prepared for it only if you need it.  The test cost $90 and they can start paying $5,$10, etc. until it is paid in full.

Some student just have a higher academic level when they enter HS so they could be taking Math and Science courses next level like most Freshmen will have Alegbra 1 but she would have Geometry and the student in the class can be Sophomore or Junior. 

The clep courses seem like it's good for private school and not State or public university.  Beside you just need a score of 50 to passed the class and I beat that just like a "C" on the grading scale.  The educational system now I don't like it at all because it's too tech and people are not really learning at all.  You got elementary kids using chromebook at school and you got high school student doing everything on their chromebook.  I can't trust if my kids are doing hw or not these day. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
maybe it's different.  You said your kids were in the gate program right?
Yea, I understand that part about freshmen.  When I went in, I was a freshmen in Geometry then a sophomore in Algebra 2.  A couple of my friends were in Bio as a freshmen.

is your daughter a senior (12th grade)?

Yep. I don't like it either. too much technology focused, not enough fluid learning.  They should use that money to help fund for better learning support centers.  I found it rediculous that each classroom at my high school now has a smartboard (electronic whiteboard) along with the chromebooks, but there isn't enough textbooks to go around so students have to bring their textbooks everyday to use in class.  It makes no sense.  All that money and they can't get enough copies to leave one in class and have one for the students at home?  psh.

My daughter is a Junior in HS this year.  The one that was going to tried out for gate program recommended by her teacher was my daughter who is in 2nd grade.  I don't see anything special about this program or want my kids to think its for smart and bright kids.  Remember I told you that there is going to be a new elementary school in my neighborhood opened for the kids in our residence this year because we don't have one.  I choose to have all my kids attend one same school and not different otherwise it become too much work and running around when we have no family/relatives here.  I have to do everything myself.  My daughter in 2nd is in a combo 2 and 3 grade class but her teacher teached everything at 3rd grade standard.  She and my 8 yo son who is in 3rd grade pretty much have the same hw and assignment some week.  I don't understand the purpose of having these combo grade class if the student the following year is going to repeat and do the same assignment or learning again because it pretty much is the same teaching for few years.  I'm not going to be happy if next year she go to 3rd grade and do the same stuffs. 

My kids would said they need erase marker at school for white board, their chromebook, etc. I have to tell my son and daughter in 2/3 that to make sure they type and double check their spelling.  They do spelling test on their chromebook so I get a printout of their score every Monday or how they did on the test.  My oldest when you check on her in the bedroom you don't know if she's doing hw, watching video on her chromebook, etc.  she will make all kj d of excuses that she is busy.  I feel the value of education is decreasing just like how we think and see Meskas is becoming more and more lazy that it's actually the foreigners Meskas with accent taking over.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
There are programs that you can use that records and tracks what websites she visits.  You can also limit her websites and block them off.  I don't quite know what these programs are though.  the website block that's just firewall and privacy settings.

Beside the chromebook is school property and I didn't purchased insurance for it.  Beside I know most student will know better not to do something stupid.  All it matter to me is that my daughter keep her grades up and doesn't give me problem.  I know she used her chromebook in her free time to watch movies on Netflix.  I don't like to be a parent who get into my child business too much for all the wrong reason because it just created hatred. 

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Oh wow. they let you take the chromebook home? Impressive.  That's alot of trust they are inputting on students or they are expecting the student to mess up the chromebook giving them more money.

High school get to take it home because all their work/assignment is on it. Test score and grade is always update so basically everything is there.  I also get  junks emails everyday from the school.  The first year the chromebook was exactly like the one at the store.  This year is has thinkpad in it and just black.  You have to return it at the end of school year unless you're going to summer school then they let you keep it and then new school year you still have it in your possession so don't need to be assigned a new one. 

The elementary kids only 2nd grade up have it but belong in the classroom.  At home the kids can go to the website they used at school to study, practice or just do sme learning in their own with login information. 

Darksyde

College is easy.  Don't believe what your high school teachers told you.  It was only hard for them because it was hard for them.  Time management is the key to your success.

Offline SummerBerry

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
How is the school's overall performance, do you know?

My daughter HS is in their 3rd year since it opened.  I would said overall performance seem good.  The school report so far that this year first Senior class has a overall of 87% student graduating while the rest of the 13% are working hard to make it.  I'm not sure about overall test score that they always stated each year. 

My daughter Junior class has 400 student and she rank #50-60 somewhere.  Right now her grades for 2nd quarter the one that count as 1 semester grade is all "A" so far but still have a few weeks to go.... Just hope she keep it up.  But as parent we are proud of her because when we was in high school we was never like her so we do want our kids to excelled academically better and higher than us. 

-AP English
-AP Biology
-Calculas
-Spanish
-AVID  is for student who need guidance for college or those who are 1st in their family to go to college and if you take it for 4 yrs you get a AVID stole with your graduation cap and gown.
-TA (teacher aide) If she didn't take US History over the summer than it will be her required class.  She got a "A" in that class. 

No more sport so she is not doing cheerleader and swimming.  She like theatre art/drama but I told her it won't benefit her and she already took it during her Freshmen year.  The school just open new that year and to see her start as Alice In The Wonderland was great.  I didn't think my daughter would pull it off because it was a lot of talking being the main character. 

Advertisements