Advertisement

Author Topic: Vacation Tour Packages  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Vacation Tour Packages
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »
Has anyone done those?  Where did you go?   How was your experience? 

Like this post: 0
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Adverstisement

Renaissance

Re: Vacation Tour Packages
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
Not exactly a tour package per se, but we've booked land excursions when going on cruises. We never purchase from the ship because they take a cut. We usually purchase when we dock.

Last year during our Thailand trip we booked packages through the hotel because the fee includes activity, transportation and meals.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:13:51 PM »
Not exactly a tour package per se, but we've booked land excursions when going on cruises. We never purchase from the ship because they take a cut. We usually purchase when we dock.

Last year during our Thailand trip we booked packages through the hotel because the fee includes activity, transportation and meals.

Where did you go on your cruise?  How was it? 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Renaissance

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
Where did you go on your cruise?  How was it?

We went to the Bahamas, eastern Caribbean, western Caribbean, and Alaska.  Planning on Asia and Fiji soon.  I recommend eastern Caribbean cruise sailing from Puerto Rico.  Airfare to Puerto Rico is reasonable about $450 roundtrip. Also recommend Royal Caribbean Cruise over Princess Cruise.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
I've done the Bahamas and in the future I'd like to do the western and eastern Caribbean and yes eventually the Asian cruise as well.  Why did you recommend the eastern Caribbean cruise over the western?  Also, when is the best time to go cruising?

Renaissance

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
I've done the Bahamas and in the future I'd like to do the western and eastern Caribbean and yes eventually the Asian cruise as well.  Why did you recommend the eastern Caribbean cruise over the western?  Also, when is the best time to go cruising?

Better beaches and more scenic. Don't go during the fall. I believe thats the rainy season.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:48:22 PM by Renaissance »

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »
Lesson learned -My last cruise was around this time of the year, during Hurricane/rainy season. 

Are the beaches over crowding w/ tourist? Clean?  I'd like to do a cruise to St. Lucia - see the Piton.   Did you get a chance to visit that part of the world?

I confess, beaches and Ocean are close to my heart - I love walking on it's shores, listen to the rumbling waves & cries of seagulls, smell the salty air, and inspires me to drop messages in bottles - floats out into that vase ocean.  Yep, I did that hahahaha.... can cross that off my bucket list.

When I was in Southern California a few years ago, I dropped a message in a bottle and I think it probably floated to Mexico..it was heading that way hahahahhaha...

Renaissance

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
Lesson learned -My last cruise was around this time of the year, during Hurricane/rainy season. 

Are the beaches over crowding w/ tourist? Clean?  I'd like to do a cruise to St. Lucia - see the Piton.   Did you get a chance to visit that part of the world?

I confess, beaches and Ocean are close to my heart - I love walking on it's shores, listen to the rumbling waves & cries of seagulls, smell the salty air, and inspires me to drop messages in bottles - floats out into that vase ocean.  Yep, I did that hahahaha.... can cross that off my bucket list.

When I was in Southern California a few years ago, I dropped a message in a bottle and I think it probably floated to Mexico..it was heading that way hahahahhaha... .

The bottle floated to San Diego when I was there last year.  Kuv txais tau lawm.  Hais tias koj nco nco Renaissance no laiv... ;D

Beaches are blue and beautiful!!  The only thing I would complain about is the prices of the excursions.  Transportation around the island could range from $20-$40 per person.  Excursion activities anywhere from $40-$150 per person.  You pay to go on the private beaches.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:37:16 AM by Renaissance »

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
I think you have an admirer in San Diego because mines says:  Dok Heart Ocean, true story.  However, whomever chance upon that will find it meaningless and i'm sure it's tossed right back to the ocean by now.

Yes, excursion can be expensive and I usually reserved mines prior to the cruise since it can be more expensive at the ship.  Many resorts catered to cruise ship passengers with their "day pass" where you can stay at their resort, use the amenities, inclusive, etc..  I took advantage of that last during my last cruise so got private beaches, meals, etc..

Ok, tell me more about the Eastern Caribbean - where did you go and tell me one beautiful thing about each place.  I'm taking notes.

Renaissance

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
We were there in 2014 in April. The weather couldn't have been any better, 80s throughout the week. We spent 2 or 3 days exploring Puerto Rico. We did sightseeing and hiking in a national rainforest, horseback riding, shopping, beaches, and food tasting. The beaches weren't that great. For our cruise we stopped at Tortola, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Dominica and I believe another island that I don't remember. It's been a while and it feels like a dream so I don't remember all the things we did. For sure, we hit the beaches on all the islands, snorkeling at a place where there was an old sunken ship, sightseeing and shopping.  I have to go back and look at the pictures that we took. One of the most beautiful places was on St. Martin. There is this very scenic cove with amazing view of the blue ocean.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
ok, good info.  Now, what about Western Caribbean and Alaska.  Tell me something about each place/cruise.  What were the highlights?  Lowlights? 

This would be a great Asian Cruise....

http://www.prestigecruises.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Cruises/PrincessAsia&Referrer=TZ92017&utm_source=Travelzoo&utm_medium=princessAsia&utm_campaign=TZ92017

Renaissance

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
ok, good info.  Now, what about Western Caribbean and Alaska.  Tell me something about each place/cruise.  What were the highlights?  Lowlights? 

This would be a great Asian Cruise....

http://www.prestigecruises.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Cruises/PrincessAsia&Referrer=TZ92017&utm_source=Travelzoo&utm_medium=princessAsia&utm_campaign=TZ92017

We went to the Western Caribbean in November which was not an ideal time to go.  We missed one destination because it was raining and wind was rough.  Between eastern and western Caribbean, I like eastern better because of the beaches.  Eastern has more of an island feel whereas western to me has more of an old world (Indian civilization) feel.

Alaskan cruise is suited for older kids and for people who are into sightseeing.  I would say slower pace compared to warmer climate cruises.  Not much active activities suited for younger people.  When we got on the ship, all we saw where seniors and older people.  Since we sailed from Seattle there were many Chinese that went.

Renaissance

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
Did you take your family on vacation this year?

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
Last year we did the FL vacation for a few days and mainly we stay in the Orlando area visiting local attractions (family vac.).  This year, I would like to do another adult only to FL to explore more of the state.  I'm interested in places like Key West, beaches, sands, wind, ocean, fruits, exotic things, etc...

Planning to go any where this year?

Renaissance

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 07:58:12 PM »
If you want to try exotic fruits then go to Thailand. As far as Florida goes, we've gone up and down the east coast from Daytona all tbe way south to Key West. There are hidden gems such as St. Augustine and New Smyrna on the east coasy and Sanibel Island on the west coast. Key West has a totally different feel and atmosphere. Almost like you are on an island of another country.

This year we have plans to visit Australia, Fiji Islands and New Zealand. It will take a month. Tickets are bought now we just need to shed some winter weight. 😁

Advertisements