Advertisement

Author Topic: Still way too many narrow minded ignorant people that paint a whole  (Read 1545 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...a whole group with a broad brush based on their race, gender, religion, etc....Sad but true.. :idiot2::

A Woman Said She Saw Burglars. They Were Just Black Airbnb Guests

It was an entirely routine moment: Four people exited the home they had rented on Airbnb in Rialto, Calif., and loaded suitcases into their car.

Within minutes, several police cars had arrived and the group was being questioned as a helicopter flew overhead. A neighbor who didn’t recognize them had reported a possible burglary, the police said.

They were in fact four creative professionals in town for an event. Now the three black people in the group are suing the Rialto Police Department, saying they were unfairly treated during the April 30 encounter.

“Got surrounded by the police for being black in a white neighborhood,” one of the guests, Donisha Prendergast, a filmmaker and a granddaughter of Bob Marley, wrote on Instagram. “I’m sad and irritated to see that fear is still the first place police officers go in their pursuit to serve and protect, to the point that protocol supersedes their ability to have discernment.”

“We have been dealing with different emotions and you want to laugh about this but it’s not funny,” Kelly Fyffe-Marshall, another filmmaker, wrote on Instagram. “The trauma is real. I’ve been angry, frustrated and sad. This is insanity.”

Komi-Oluwa Olafimihan, an artist, pointed out that “over 700 people that look just like me did not walk away alive from a situation like this last year.”

The police and the renters offered different versions of events, but both recorded video: The police through their body cameras, the renters through their phones.

Ms. Fyffe-Marshall said the officers came out of their cars, demanding the group put their hands in the air. At first, the renters “joked about the misunderstandi ng,” she said, but the situation escalated after 20 minutes when a sergeant arrived.

The sergeant didn’t know what Airbnb was, “insisted that we were lying about it and said we had to prove it,” Ms. Fyffe-Marshall said. She showed the officers their booking confirmations and called the landlord, and the group was detained for 45 minutes, she said.

She said the neighbor called the police because they had failed to wave at her.

Ms. Fyffe-Marshall and Ms. Prendergast declined interview requests.

The Rialto Police Department said in a statement that the group was questioned for 22 minutes and that officers had not used restraints on them. The officers learned they were Airbnb guests “through reasonable inquiry,” and they were “immediately released without incident,” the police said.

“The Rialto Police Department is confident officers treated the involved individuals with dignity, respect and professionalis m,” the police said.

Many people of color have reported that the police have been called on them while going about their everyday business, a fact of life that has seen several prominent examples in recent weeks. National outrage followed the arrest of two black men in a Philadelphia Starbucks; a group of black women had the police called on them for golfing too slowly in York County, Pa.; and two Native American brothers had a college visit in Colorado cut short when a parent told a 911 dispatcher that their behavior and clothing were suspicious.

Airbnb has for years been battling concerns over discrimination — though its focus had been on those renting out their homes, not neighbors. The company brought on prominent advisers, including Eric H. Holder Jr., the former United States attorney general, to help form new policies, and released a 32-page report in 2016 on how it planned to fight discrimination .

Airbnb said that what happened to the guests in Rialto was “unconscionable.” Laura W. Murphy, a senior adviser, and Janaye Ingram, the head of national partnerships, sent a letter to Rialto’s police chief and mayor on Monday to request a meeting.

“We are deeply disturbed by the public reports suggesting that the police department’s response was dictated by the guests’ race,” the two wrote. “As African-American women who have seen the inequitable treatment of people of color, we know that these kinds of incidents are often rooted in implicit and explicit bias. They are hurtful, discriminatory, traumatic and must end.”[/i]

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
the police were simply doing their job, they were called on a suspicious activity and investigated.  No one was hurt or mistreated, a little bruised ego and inconvenience, but they can all move on with their lives.

for one, good neighbors watch out for one another...bett er to call the cops than not do anything.  had it been a real burglary, their absent neighbor would have suffered some lost.  I think the "black" crew should let it go...they cooperated, the police didn't do nuff'tin except detained them for a bit of an inconvenience.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

flint-rod

seeing how we recently rented a vacay home... in alton, utah of all places where the down was all white... i would be enraged f that happened to me... and yes... i would try to get any time of financial compensation i could for being profiled...

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
seeing how we recently rented a vacay home... in alton, utah of all places where the down was all white... i would be enraged f that happened to me... and yes... i would try to get any time of financial compensation i could for being profiled...
who would you sue?  the cops for doing their job?  they didn't know you've rented that place, someone else called for them to investigate.

flint-rod

who would you sue?  the cops for doing their job?  they didn't know you've rented that place, someone else called for them to investigate.

the cops... the police dept... the neighbors... i don't know... whoever i can get a buck or two from... who knows...? i just know that i'm suing for my time being wasted and being profiled... lol!

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
the cops... the police dept... the neighbors... i don't know... whoever i can get a buck or two from... who knows...? i just know that i'm suing for my time being wasted and being profiled... lol!
LOL...$1 or $2  O0

some are quick to blame the cops because they were the only interactions they have with (in circumstances such as this).  they need someone to blame.  when the police are called upon, it's their responsibility to investigate.  After the investigation, they get to deem if a crime has been committed.  if it appears to be nothing, we should be able to forgive them for the inconvenience. ..they are simply doing their job.  I could understand, if they shoot you first then asks questions later (sue all you want).

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
the police were simply doing their job, they were called on a suspicious activity and investigated.  No one was hurt or mistreated, a little bruised ego and inconvenience, but they can all move on with their lives.

for one, good neighbors watch out for one another...bett er to call the cops than not do anything.  had it been a real burglary, their absent neighbor would have suffered some lost.  I think the "black" crew should let it go...they cooperated, the police didn't do nuff'tin except detained them for a bit of an inconvenience.

Dunce! The invalid dunce trump disciple that proudly support lies and fakes missed the point again but nothing "new"...

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile

And bad neighbors call the cops when there is no suspicious activity. Had there been a burglary elsewhere, there would have been great lost with those cops being busy wasting time for nothing.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile

In this case, more than likely you wouldn't get anything from the police department.

Advertisements