Advertisement

Author Topic: My next car  (Read 2035 times)

Offline starchaser1989

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
My next car
« on: November 20, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
I told the wife our next car will be a Tesla S P100D.  A performance package with AWD and 315 mile range. You can watch reviews on youtube but the auto-pilot, no gas, 315 mile range pretty much sold me.  There is quick charge all over America making road trips a breeze.
The only thing that worries me is the maintenance.  I'm sure its going to be a new beast trying to fix it.  I'll read the fine prints on the warranty and go from there.......

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: My next car
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:54:55 PM »
I can talk you out of it but I don't want to ruin your dream. 

I'll start you with two. 

Battery life.  Like your Fon battery, it must die and big bucks to replace. 

Travelling, I need gas, I can fill up in 10 mins tops and off I go.  With electric, 3hours wait quick charge and 8 hours slow way.

Fast I like but cost way too much.  I might be bias cuz my boys employed there and I worked in the bay where a Tesla is all over the road here which makes it a sight for sore eyes. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
you must of hit mid-life crisis.  $1k parka, now this. 

just kidding, just kidding.

Offline Yebleng

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
yep. biggest concerns are battery life and maintenance. Commute car, yes. Cross country traveling, no.  It'll be cool if it was like a remote control car when the battery dies. Slide the back cover off and replace with a few double A batteries and go ;D O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »
The only thing that worries me is the maintenance. 

yep. biggest concerns are battery life and maintenance.

"maintenance" and ownership cost for an electric car is way lower than a gasoline car:

"The bottom line, though, it quite clear. If you buy an electric vehicle rather than a gasoline-powered one, you are probably going to save a lot of money during the time you own it."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/constancedouris/2017/10/24/the-bottom-line-on-electric-cars-theyre-cheaper-to-own/#63bcefd910b6

"Electric Cars Vs. Gas Cars: Comparing Maintenance & Battery Costs

...It’s no secret that the overall cost of owning an electric car vs. a conventional gas-powered car is much lower. While the savings in fuel costs are where electric vehicles really shine, their maintenance costs are impressively low compared to conventional cars."

https://ez-ev.com/tips/electric-cars-vs-gas-maintenance-battery-cost

Commute car, yes. Cross country traveling, no.

Some have done "Cross country" and even international road trips and no problem...

"I did a very similar trip from Charlotte, NC to San Francisco (and back) last summer in my Model S."

"Drove ~4k miles in similar car last summer."

"We've made two road trips in our X; maiden voyage was central PA to Key West and back. Last summer was central PA to Maine, Nova Scotia, PEI, then through New Brunswick to the St. Lawrence, Quebec City, Montreal, Ithaca and back home."

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cross-country-road-trip.110189/

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
my next car may be a maum van  :P

And you don't have to get anything special, this one should do  O0:

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 04:24:31 PM »
If you like it, go for it.

There's no car problem that can't be fixed. If it's new, it'll be  years before you have to worry about repairs or replacing a new battery anyway.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
I don't want to talk about the environmental aspect cuz I don't know any azn that is a tree hugger. 

But I will say this.  So you pump gas and diesel.  Part of that money goes back into our roads and highway.  So you get an electric vehicle and you can say that a tree hugging vehicle does not have to pay the same tax but gets to ride the same road as I am? 

I worked in tech and I can see Tesla where I'm at.  The closer you are at the source, the more of them you see.  Tesla ran out of spaces to store their model 3 that they have to rent out nearby tech parking lot just for staging area of their vehicles.  I've noticed that the two most common people that buy a Tesla are tech nerds and rich people to floss. 

Why I think the older generation of people are skeptical about an electric car is cultural and habits.  Gas powered engine car has a long history in America.  The smell and sounds of the engine, going stick shift muscle cars and you are trying to convert them?  Wait till they die off then the electric vehicle craze will begin.  Make it faster by governments regulations and electric vehicles will sore but not now.  Not when the prices are still high on a beta version.  We don't have enough years with these vehicles to conduct a fully understanding to the benefits of these alien looking technology gadgets. 

Bring the prices down.  Make it go further and make it charge faster with recharging stations everywhere and you will have me at hello. 
Until then, if no one forcing me to go electric, I'll continue to support the economy cuz the guy making my Sparks plugs and filters and starter and alternator ect ECT still needs to eat too. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements