Advertisement

Author Topic: can someone educate me on chaofa?  (Read 4452 times)

highway

can someone educate me on chaofa?
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:45 PM »
For example:
What was the genesis? How/what/why did the fraction start? I've been reading a lot on the literature (of course, it's always third part perspective) so I want to gain some form of coherent inside knowledge. Please refrain from opinions and hearsays --I am trying to remedy that I know nothing about Hmong culture --if you don't know or can't be bother to explain then direct me to where I can learn. I have no problems with that. That said,  I'm a little heartbroken that even in April 2019 there are still military attacks being reported.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this forced displacement.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
Re: can someone educate me on chaofa?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
chaofa is the literal term for guerrilla.  the disbanded lao/hmong army after the US abandoned the country.  due to the fear of persecution and lack of support from the US and lao government, they took to the jungles and hills, fighting no longer the enemy but for their own survival.  a majority have come out of the wood works and are living among the civilians.  a very few factions are still in hiding.  they are being blamed for highway robberies and attacks.  unless the lao government offers reparation of forgiveness, these people will forever be in the jungles.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 09:58:18 AM »
They were in my living room some few years ago...I thought that were recruiting...

but maybe posers asking for money.

::)

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:47:27 AM »
chaofa is the literal term for guerrilla.  the disbanded lao/hmong army after the US abandoned the country.  due to the fear of persecution and lack of support from the US and lao government, they took to the jungles and hills, fighting no longer the enemy but for their own survival.  a majority have come out of the wood works and are living among the civilians.  a very few factions are still in hiding.  they are being blamed for highway robberies and attacks.  unless the lao government offers reparation of forgiveness, these people will forever be in the jungles.
I always thought it mean: Rebels

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
Freedom fighters.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 05:49:59 AM »
During the last two weeks of December 1998, I flew as one of my annual solo getaway to what would be an unknown territory to me: French Guiana.

At one of my village visits around that tiny colony of 2,000 or so Hmong, I came upon one man who used to be a Chaofa himself.

So, my source is first-hand knowledge from someone who has witnessed and been one of the group members himself.

The name is a label given to the group of rebel fighters and their non-rebel family members who were just hiding from Communist persecution back in the 70s. Who gave it to them? The Lao Communist government.

Chao is Lao for lord or king. Fa is Lao for sky, he said.

So labeled because the group had a disappearing act after each storming attack on the Commie soldiers or territories.

"We line up in different spots around a mountain or some times a gulley," he said. "When the Communist soldiers came marching on a trail, we planned our attacks: finger pointing to everyone with 'you shoot the first one, you shoot the second one, you shoot the third, I shoot the fourth and on and on.'  That way, they wouldn't know exactly where all of us are. They'll hear bullets coming from all places."

Over several years of such attacks, the Commies began to feel this was the force of the sky that would come down unpredictably like lightning. They couldn't come into contact with any human person of the group. During their discussions on how to take down the group, they could only refer to them as the "Chaofa" or "Chao Fa." Hence, the name.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 07:38:49 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline aoubee

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 09:17:40 AM »
During the last two weeks of December 1998, I flew as one of my annual solo getaway to what would be an unknown territory to me: French Guiana.

At one of my village visits around that tiny colony of 2,000 or so Hmong, I came upon one man who used to be a Chaofa himself.

So, my source is first-hand knowledge from someone who has witnessed and been one of the group members himself.

The name is a label given to the group of rebel fighters and their non-rebel family members who were just hiding from Communist persecution back in the 70s. Who gave it to them? The Lao Communist government.

Chao is Lao for lord or king. Fa is Lao for sky, he said.

So labeled because the group had a disappearing act after each storming attack on the Commie soldiers or territories.

"We line up in different spots around a mountain or some times a gulley," he said. "When the Communist soldiers came marching on a trail, we planned our attacks: finger pointing to everyone with 'you shoot the first one, you should the second one, you should the third, I shoot the fourth and on and on.'  That way, they wouldn't know exactly where all of us are. They'll hear bullets coming from all places."

Over several years of such attacks, the Commies began to feel this was the force of the sky that would come down unpredictably like lightning. They couldn't come into contact with any human person of the group. During their discussions on how to take down the group, they could only refer to them as the "Chaofa" or "Chao Fa." Hence, the name.

Not first hand experience, but this is similar to what I heard from my mom about the origin of the name of chao fa.

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 05:48:53 PM »
They are the traitors along with GVP's lower ranks joining with the Vietcong. Later they realized they were deceived by their own kind and fled into the jungles.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements